Why Do Reliever Issues still confound ATG Game Engine?

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Muadib1950

Why Do Reliever Issues still confound ATG Game Engine?

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Dear John Garcia,
In a tight high scoring Game 7 of a semi-final series in one of this game's OLDEST ONGOING SERIAL LEAGUES, a 103 win team was eliminated when its team's poorest reliever is brought in during the 7th inning as the Starter tires -- AND LEFT IN to be drubbed in the 8th -- when the team's other relievers are also rested and available.

I and others worked with software developers several years ago before the online Game came home to Strat itself to clear this up! What gives?

See
http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/432397/985
Link for Game 7 of an MFL 76 playoff series

paul8210

Re: Why Do Reliever Issues still confound ATG Game Engine?

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 am

I noticed Mr. Bell had pitched a few innings in the previous six postseason games without giving up an earned run. HAL may have considered postseason results independently of results from regular season and decided Bell was the go-to guy. I recall one of my players, Cal Ripken, getting pinch hit for in the playoffs because he was hitting .171. He had hit over .300 in the regular season. Not saying it's right for SOM, but, a manager who goes with a hot hand in real baseball doesn't get second-guessed too much.

Muadib1950

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 pm

paul8210 wrote:I noticed Mr. Bell had pitched a few innings in the previous six postseason games without giving up an earned run. HAL may have considered postseason results independently of results from regular season and decided Bell was the go-to guy. I recall one of my players, Cal Ripken, getting pinch hit for in the playoffs because he was hitting .171. He had hit over .300 in the regular season. Not saying it's right for SOM, but, a manager who goes with a hot hand in real baseball doesn't get second-guessed too much.

Ola Pablo,
Interesting speculation, but I have never heard it acknowledged the Game Engine was programmed to incorporate such assessments. Don't know which playoff games he'd pitched in, but if it were the prior 2 then all the more reason NOT to enter him. But he did enter rested and got the side out in the 7th. Job done! First sign of trouble you go back to the bullpen as appropriate.

In point of fact, what the GAME ENGINE SHOULD take into account is the gravity of a Game ... as in a GAME SEVEN! Duuuhhh! That should be first & foremost factored in, then the overall ability to deal with a lineup, which is what the salary level & blue/red sides of the cards are all about, after all.

If they don't matter ... just throw in any RP, then why have a Sutter or a Wagner? And just Hi Bell the Hell out of it? Ridiculous, I say.

Senor Garcia? Your thoughts, Sir?

Jonny
~~,__o
~_-\ < ,
(*)/ (*) ------->

Mr Baseball World

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 4:02 pm

I see that Garcia's Blog specifically addresses this situation.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM