Improvement to "Rem. 4 def sub" option

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

FALCON29

Improvement to "Rem. 4 def sub" option

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm

If your starting catcher is injured, and your replacement is in the game, and he's set to "Rem. 4 def sub", HAL will remove him late in the game and put, well, anybody in at catcher. I suppose this could happen at any position, and also under other in-game circumstances that leave you with no back-ups for a position.

The "Rem. 4 def sub" designation should be ignored if there are no players eligible at that particular position left on the bench.

coyote303

Re: Improvement to "Rem. 4 def sub" option

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Agree!

In fact, I would go further than that and have the logic not replace a player unless it's an improvement at the position. Sometimes--especially in no DH leagues--your glove guy has already pinch hit or otherwise been used.

tomaxe

PostSat Jan 14, 2017 5:50 am

Totally agree .with certain injuries that you can't make adjustments to while finishing off a series i've had revere a CF play 2b because of "rem. 4 def sub".Which i've lost on multiple occasions just because they hit the x number while he was in.Thats just my current team,seen it way to often over the years you would think they would have corrected this over a period time.

mai_kingdra

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Just wanted to "pile on" with agreement, especially with regard to the absurdity of removing a player for a defensive substitution that results in a defensive downgrade! As a professional software developer and a SOM fan, I find that very frustrating and embarrassing from a product perspective.

Last, but not least, I don't like to criticize without offerering some assistance, and to that end, I'd be happy to consider some contract computer programming to help improve the game - seriously.

tmfw30

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am

Agreed. Automatic removal for an inferior defender appears to be a fairly obvious and correctable error.

milleram

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Most of us learned the hard way that "remove 4 Defensive sub" has it's hazards. You may get stuck with an out of position player if injuries come into play.

I like to use remove for defensive sub mostly for high injury players that I want out of games with leads--I feel I can avoid an injury or two over the course of a season. Normally the sub is a better fielder, but not always.

Its better to define defensive subs in the strategy section if you are worried about an out of position player being forced into the game. (especially if you don't check in daily to make lineup adjustments) The issue with the Strategy way of making defensive subs is HAL tends to make a change with larger leads as opposed to one or two run leads, but HAL won't force a player out of the game when the sub is not available.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM