Runner Advancement After Fly Outs

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

kenhutchings

Runner Advancement After Fly Outs

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 pm

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/429211/631

Fortunately, I won the game anyway, but in the bottom of the 8th inning, with Danny Tartabull on second after having doubled, Ivan DeJesus flies out for the second out of the inning, and then Tartabull is thrown out advancing to third base :( . I can understand a runner trying to score on a sacrifice fly, but there really doesn't seem to be much advantage to advance to third base when there are already two outs (cardinal rule of baseball - don't make the third out at third). I do like my runners to be aggressive, but this is just a little too much aggressive for my sake. I wish there was some way to allow aggressive running while restricting HAL from being aggressive in this particular situation.

Rosie2167

Re: Runner Advancement After Fly Outs

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Amen. HAL doesn't take situations into account when base running. Running into outs especially late in the game is a weakness in the online game.

Valen

PostThu May 19, 2016 2:10 pm

It is also a weakness in real life. We all know you are not supposed to make the third out at third. But I see players doing so all the time. Announcers always explain how stupid it is. Coaches say the player should know better. But players do it.

I suspect the AI has some percentage table that attempts to simulate how often real runners attempt taking third.

Valen

PostThu May 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Might add that if a runner is confident they will make it tagging up and taking third puts them in position to score on a wild pitch in which case they would look better for having took the risk.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM