Pinch hitting roles

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Rosie2167

Pinch hitting roles

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm sure this has been brought up before but never hurts to beat the drum again.

I believe that adding the ability to assign pinch hitting roles like bullpen roles would be very impactful and used by nearly everyone.

Recent playoff series has again hammered this home for me. Continuously facing Norm Charlton late in games with a vs RHP lineup. Guys like Blanchard, Torriente and Stargell are coming up late with the game on the line and I have lefty killers sitting on the bench like Hodges, Elston Howard, Wild Bill Wright and Matt Williams. (yes its $200M)

My leftys seem to be just good enough to not trigger HAL looking down the bench for a better option.

ScumbyJr

Re: Pinch hitting roles

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Rosie2167 wrote:I'm sure this has been brought up before but never hurts to beat the drum again.

I believe that adding the ability to assign pinch hitting roles like bullpen roles would be very impactful and used by nearly everyone.

Recent playoff series has again hammered this home for me. Continuously facing Norm Charlton late in games with a vs RHP lineup. Guys like Blanchard, Torriente and Stargell are coming up late with the game on the line and I have lefty killers sitting on the bench like Hodges, Elston Howard, Wild Bill Wright and Matt Williams. (yes its $200M)

My leftys seem to be just good enough to not trigger HAL looking down the bench for a better option.

This is killing me also.

sociophil

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 11:34 pm

I agree! Just had Gates Brown go down on three swings against Arthur Rhodes despite the avoid lhp setting.

Valen

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 pm

This to me is a weakness of HAL. But read many times in various posts the avoid LHP setting only comes in to play when considering a guy to bring off the bench. In other words having that said would keep HAL from bringing Gates off the bench against a LHP but will not be considered if Gates is hitting in his own spot having started or entered the game earlier.

Outta Leftfield

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 11:31 am

I am going to start a thread with a poll asking if managers to vote for or again buttons that say "PH for vs: LHP / RHP". This would be very simple to implement, I would think.

HAL now seems programmed to PH aggressively for the pitcher in non-DH leagues. But pinch hitting for position players seems like a rarity. These buttons would change that, I think.

HAL could be told to look first for the designated RH and LH pinch-hitters, then chose the next most appropriate player off the bench. It might be a good idea to allow pinch hitting only from the 5th inning on. But the main thing is to encourage HAL to PH for Gates Brown and his ilk.

Please vote in favor of this petition and talk it up among your friends. :D

krazykat

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Valen wrote:This to me is a weakness of HAL. But read many times in various posts the avoid LHP setting only comes in to play when considering a guy to bring off the bench. In other words having that said would keep HAL from bringing Gates off the bench against a LHP but will not be considered if Gates is hitting in his own spot having started or entered the game earlier.

Had this happen to one of my 2014 teams recently. The CD/computer version handles these situations much better if you program the CM pinch hit section correctly. There you list each hitter in order for situations vs RH, rev RH, LH, and rev LH. Maybe it's deemed too complicated to put into the online game?

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM