Mystery League for 2000 thru 2009

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ballbuster

Mystery League for 2000 thru 2009

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I think that we are ready for a Mystery League for 2000 thru 2009.

l.strether

Re: Mystery League for 2000 thru 2009

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 1:25 pm

We've been ready for awhile. And, unlike a 50's game, this one would actually attract a substantial amount of players under 40.

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 pm

To steal a phrase from Mr. Strether......"as I have previously stated" the most popular game SOM has is ATG so only using recent players is not an issue.

Although I would welcome any new Mystery Card game, I would more like to see the 40s/50s game to learn more about some of the players in the game that I was not familiar with before as well as to use some of the ATG players in a mystery card format. I enjoy history and learning the names of players past I did not know before would be great fun for me and I'm sure many others.

Although I am not under 40 SOM seems to not have any trouble accepting my money. :lol:

l.strether

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 2:21 pm

LMBombers wrote:To steal a phrase from Mr. Strether......"as I have previously stated" the most popular game SOM has is ATG so only using recent players is not an issue.

Although I would welcome any new Mystery Card game, I would more like to see the 40s/50s game to learn more about some of the players in the game that I was not familiar with before as well as to use some of the ATG players in a mystery card format. I enjoy history and learning the names of players past I did not know before would be great fun for me and I'm sure many others.

Although I am not under 40 SOM seems to not have any trouble accepting my money.

Poor Mr. Bombers. He forgets he shouldn't re-state a statement that was wrong the first time... ;)

First of all, many (if not most) ATG players don't even like the Mystery Leagues. So, their playing older players doesn't mean there will be a fan base for a 50's Mystery League. There won't. It also doesn't change the fact most players under (and even over) 40 don't care about history like he does and like to play with players they know. Just ask the people who want a 1969 league because they remember those players. So, most players under 40 (even 50) will have little interest in a 50's league.

It's also cute how he thinks them taking his money would be enough to justify making a new league based around what he wants. SOM needs new players and younger players. A 2000-2009 league will help do that. A 50's league most certainly won't.

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Apparently strether can't resist reading my posts after he boasts of blocking me. :lol:

l.strether

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Sometimes I worry about Randi's thought processes. The poor guy can't realize "on ignore" means I can read the posts of his I choose and not the ones I don't. Then again, he's failed to grasp less complex realities before.

And it's clear he can't counter my post. That doesn't surprise me at all... ;)

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Stretcher, You don't seem to understand my point. If ATG is the most popular online SOM game then that means that people who use this site don't just want to use players they can remember seeing in their lifetime. They enjoy using the older players.

You state that most online SOM players of any age do not enjoy history and don't want to use players from the 50's that they don't know. Where has this study come from? Have you done a survey? This would be invaluable research so please share with the rest of us. If this is true then SOM needs to think about removing all players prior to the 60s or 70s from ATG to make sure they can retain interest in that game for sure.

You state that all ATG gamers do not enjoy the mystery game. That is true but it is no different than saying all 20XX gamers do not enjoy the mystery game. There is no difference in those statements so that means nothing.

l.strether

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm

LMBombers wrote:Stretcher, You don't seem to understand my point. If ATG is the most popular online SOM game then that means that people who use this site don't just want to use players they can remember seeing in their lifetime. They enjoy using the older players.

I completely understood your point, Randi. I correctly responded the ATG players are irrelevant, since few of them want to play Mystery, and most new and younger players will want to play with cards they know. What ATGers like doesn't discount that. Even most ATG players don't just play all old-timers; they usually also play with cards they know. So, SOM certainly can't count on a bunch of players wanting to play with mostly cards they don't know. They need a younger game for younger players. We know players tend to like playing with players they know.
You state that most online SOM players of any age do not enjoy history and don't want to use players from the 50's that they don't know. Where has this study come from? Have you done a survey? This would be invaluable research so please share with the rest of us. If this is true then SOM needs to think about removing all players prior to the 60s or 70s from ATG to make sure they can retain interest in that game for sure.

I never said most SOM players don't enjoy history. So, you're either lying or reading poorly again. And I got my information the same way you did: observation and conversation with others. So, if you have a survey backing your point, please share your valuable information. If so many want history leagues, SOM should be setting up 1890"s and 1900 leagues as well to retain interest in the game.
You state that all ATG gamers do not enjoy the mystery game. That is true but it is no different than saying all 20XX gamers do not enjoy the mystery game. There is no difference in those statements so that means nothing.

Oh, boy. I take it you never took an SAT prep course. There is absolute difference, and that difference means something. The 20xx gamers will have more interest in crossing over to 20xx mystery leagues because they already have shown an interest in 20xx players. The ATG players, even if they do like Mystery Leagues, will have less interest because they don't have as strong an interest in those players. Many 20xx players who like Mystery Leagues, though, will stay away from a 50's Mystery League because of the 50 year difference.

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

l.strether wrote:The 20xx gamers will have more interest in crossing over to 20xx mystery leagues because they already have shown an interest in 20xx players. The ATG players, even if they do like Mystery Leagues, will have less interest because they don't have as strong an interest in those players. Many 20xx players who like Mystery Leagues, though, will stay away from a 50's Mystery League because of the 50 year difference.

Here is the same quote with 20XX replaced with ATG or 50s. Your statement is reversable. Saying it one way doesn't mean that the other way isn't right as well.

The ATG gamers will have more interest in crossing over to 50s mystery leagues because they already have shown an interest in 50s players. Many ATG players who like Mystery Leagues, though, will stay away from a 20XX Mystery League because of the 50 year difference.(they don't prefer using only the current players)

I took out the sentence "The ATG players, even if they do like Mystery Leagues, will have less interest because they don't have as strong an interest in those players." because it is pretty silly to say ATG gamers have less interest in ATG players from the 50s.

l.strether wrote:I never said most SOM players don't enjoy history.

You certainly did. Here is the exact quote:

l.strether wrote: It also doesn't change the fact most players under (and even over) 40 don't care about history

I would say players under and over 40 is everybody. :lol:

It is very tiresome arguing with someone like yourself. I'm done with this thread. Go ahead and get the last word in as you must do and then we're off to a different topic. :geek:

l.strether

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:08 pm

l.strether wrote:The 20xx gamers will have more interest in crossing over to 20xx mystery leagues because they already have shown an interest in 20xx players. The ATG players, even if they do like Mystery Leagues, will have less interest because they don't have as strong an interest in those players. Many 20xx players who like Mystery Leagues, though, will stay away from a 50's Mystery League because of the 50 year difference.
Here is the same quote with 20XX replaced with ATG or 50s. Your statement is reversable. Saying it one way doesn't mean that the other way isn't right as well.

You don't quite grasp reversabiity. The fact there is an unequal interest negates reversability. Try again.
l.strether wrote:I never said most SOM players don't enjoy history.
You certainly did. Here is the exact quote:
l.strether wrote: It also doesn't change the fact most players under (and even over) 40 don't care about history

Altering quotes like you just did is a clear sign you know you have a bad argument, and you do. Here was my full quote:
l.strether wrote:It also doesn't change the fact most players under (and even over) 40 don't care about history like he does and like to play with players they know.

So, I certainly didn't say most players under 40 don't care about history, period. Nice try. And try to not laugh at every little thing you say, particularly in support of a bad argument. It's really weird.
It is very tiresome arguing with someone like yourself. I'm done with this thread. Go ahead and get the last word in as you must do and then we're off to a different topic.

Firstly, responding to you isn't getting the last word, it's responding. And i"m sure you're tired from making bad arguments against my sound ones; I doubt it's been fun. I can say, however, debunking yours hasn't been entirely un-enjoyable. Ciao, Randi.
Next

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM