A new and improved HAL

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

coyote303

Re: A new and improved HAL

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 3:03 pm

arslen wrote:i drafted randy myers but i didnt get him. ok that happens right? Then after the wavier period was over i noticed randy myers was available... Great i picked him up...... THEN I FOUND OUT HE WAS NEVER DRAFTED!...

arslen, go the your team's page and then cut and paste what's below into the URL line of your browser. This will let you confirm that he was on your draft list. If so, you might want to email S-O-M support. (However, don't expect a response. They are great at responding except when you point out a possible bug.)

onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/draft/rank

kenhutchings

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

My HAL story which occurred in yesterday's 70s Mystery game series..

Because of injuries to two of my team's outfielders, my team was down to just three outfielders for a couple of games. One of them was Walt "No Neck" Williams. In the Hitters Preference, I indicate that Williams (a 4 outfielder) is to be pulled for a defensive replacement when my team has a late lead. Well, HAL followed my instructions, but because I didn't have any other outfielders, he inserted Bernie Allen, an infielder, as a replacement for Williams. Thus my 4 outfielder was replaced by a 5 outfielder. Fortunately my team swept the series, so nothing adverse came from it.

However, it seems that HAL should be programmed that an individual to be pulled for defensive purposes will only occur when there is a replacement available whose fielding rating is at least equal to or better than the person who is being replaced. :|

Valen

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:21 pm

This one has been discussed many times over the years. My advice is never set the remove for defensive replacement if you are shooting for a defensive improvement. The best use of the feature IMO is to have someone removed who is an injury risk to protect them. For example if I am using Josh Gibson I may check that box for him so my backup catcher is put in and I cannot lose Gibson to injury in a blowout game.

If I really want a defensive improvement I leave the box unchecked and just list my preferred defensive replacement in the team strategy page.

FALCON29

Does HAL Have Brain Damage?

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:34 am

Another HAL mystery:
Top of the 2nd inning, Adrian Beltre gets injured on a HBP for his maximum 3 games. With designated PR Julio Lugo on the bench, HAL decides to pinch run with... backup catcher Christian Vazquez.
But it gets worse. When the inning ends, HAL decides to leave Vazquez in the game and pull starting C Jason Varitek. To cover 3B he moved Xander Bogaerts over from SS, brought Brock Holt in from RF to SS and subbed Ryan Kalish off the bench into RF to bat in Varitek's spot.
Had he pinch-ran with Lugo as he should have in the first place, Bogaerts could have made the move from SS to 3B as he did, and Lugo could have just played short.
HAL's moves make zero sense!
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/427967/486

PowellCrosleyJr

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 9:15 pm

John McNamara keeps Bill Buckner at first base in Game Six of the 1986 World Series.

Joe Torre bats Alex Rodriguez eighth in Game Four of the 2006 ALDS.

Grady Little sticks with Pedro Martinez in Game Seven of the 2003 ALCS.

Dick Williams lets Goose Gossage pitch to Kirk Gibson in Game Five of the 1984 World Series.

Bruce Bochy's Game Three of the 1998 World Series;

While Bruce Bochy is regarded as one of the best managers in baseball today, Game Three of the 1998 World Series wasn’t his finest hour. With a one-run lead and no outs in the top of the eighth inning, Bochy brought closer San Diego closer Trevor Hoffman in to face the back half of the Yankees lineup. Three batters later, Scott Brosius hit a devastating homer, causing many pundits and fans to pin the loss on Bochy. With high stakes and a weak bullpen, Bochy’s call to the closer was defensible; the circumstances surrounding Hoffman’s entry were not.
Previous

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM