Stealing 3rd with two outs

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

ringojb

Stealing 3rd with two outs

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 am

I would like to be aggressive and steal more, but it seems that more often than not that I will have someone try to steal 3rd with two outs. I would never chance having a 3rd out at third base. Also, if I have runners at the corners I would never try to steal 2nd with 2 outs.

l.strether

Re: Stealing 3rd with two outs

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 1:13 pm

You've just ran up against SOM online's official Gordian Knot...and you still haven't encountered the maddening attempts to steal home yet. They are just the travails that come with the territory of setting your Base Stealing settings at Aggressive and (definitely) Very Aggressive. Aggressive and very aggressive base stealers do at times attempt to steal third or even home, as Harper did when he humiliated Hamels. So, HAL will--in its attempts to replicate that reality--have your runners attempt to steal third or home at inopportune times.

The best remedy for this is to apply "do not steal" to all but your best base stealers when using aggressive or very aggressive (which I rarely use) and/or mostly stick to the "Normal" setting while having your good base stealers "set on steal more." Your complaint, by the way, is the most prevalent in the forum, as many share your frustrations.

coolhandlewke

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:25 am

it would be nice if they could add another layer of logic to the decision making. it is one of the most well known unwritten rules, never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. you will rarely ever see it, and when you do its usually a crazy individual effort that gets the surprised baserunner. this rule should preclude anyone from attempting 3rd unless it was a sure thing. the baserunning in general just seems more and more to lack realism. lately what I've seen a ton of is my outfielders going after lead runners and missing cutoff guys. twice in the 1st inning of a game tonight a single with a man on 1st ended up with runners at 2nd and 3rd. outfielders that make plays like that are either called puig, or future minor leaguers.

l.strether

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 am

this rule should preclude anyone from attempting 3rd unless it was a sure thing.

I'm pretty sure such a "sure thing" doesn't exist in MLB. I'm certain it doesn't exist in SOM.
coolhandlewke wrote: the baserunning in general just seems more and more to lack realism. lately what I've seen a ton of is my outfielders going after lead runners and missing cutoff guys. twice in the 1st inning of a game tonight a single with a man on 1st ended up with runners at 2nd and 3rd. outfielders that make plays like that are either called puig, or future minor leaguers.

Actually, many outfielders try for the lead runner, fail to nail him, and end up letting the batter take 2nd. Puig isn't the only one with such bravado. Since that is the case, it would be unrealistic for SOM to prevent such action.

coolhandlewke

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 3:35 pm

nothing is ever sure, but runners are supposed to follow the unwritten rule unless they are VERY confident. as far as the lead runner thing it does happen, but I'm seeing it happen in strat more than it should. not sailing the ball over the cutoff man (ala puig) allows them to challenge the lead runner while still keeping the batter at 1st. i'll have to start tracking it this year while watching my dodgers to see how close it really is.

Rosie2167

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm

How about the 2nd out at home, that's also a big no-no in organize bball at any level Pony+.

coolhandlewke

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 7:44 pm

I haven't heard that one, but it makes sense. stopping a runner at 3rd with 1 out allows you to score it without a hit. also getting a good jump from 2nd with 1 out leaves you open to getting doubled off.

l.strether

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

coolhandlewke wrote:nothing is ever sure, but runners are supposed to follow the unwritten rule unless they are VERY confident. as far as the lead runner thing it does happen, but I'm seeing it happen in strat more than it should. not sailing the ball over the cutoff man (ala puig) allows them to challenge the lead runner while still keeping the batter at 1st. i'll have to start tracking it this year while watching my dodgers to see how close it really is.

Even real runners don't follow "unwritten rules" all the time, so you certainly can't expect the logorithm-driven runners of SOM to do so. The outfielders decisions are logorithm-driven as well. Since a MLB manager can't make sure his outfielder tries to nail the 'correct baserunner"--Pagan makes that mistake as well--a SOM manager can't expect his outfielders to always make the right decision either.

I don't want to be blunt, but you're trying to hold SOM to too high a standard of efficiency. MLB players make mistakes; SOM players make even more of them, while still performing pretty efficiently. That's the nature of the game

l.strether

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Rosie2167 wrote:How about the 2nd out at home, that's also a big no-no in organize bball at any level Pony+.

I've never heard that one. However, I 'm sure it all depends on the situation. If your team is behind a run, with only a few--or no--innings left, then making the second out at home is no concern if you have a solid chance to score.

coolhandlewke

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 5:23 pm

of course real life players fail to follow the rules all the time. veteran players are much more likely than inexperienced players to adhere to them. I just think hal makes bonehead plays more than the norm. ie I had a game end sunday when juan uribe tried to steal 2nd with the tying run on 3rd. bad juan, bad.
Next

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM