Team Strategy

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ballbuster

Team Strategy

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 6:17 am

I would like to be able to set some of the strategies at the "game" level. The one that really drives me crazy is " Base Stealing". I like to base this on the opponent catcher's arm and throwing rating (sometimes there will be different starting catchers over the series if the starter is injured for one game or if the catchers are platooning); but mostly based on the starting pitcher's hold rating for each game. This can change significantly over a three game series and I would love to be able to choose my strategy for each game, as the manager does in real life. I'm sure additional choices also would fall in that category.

Ballbuster

Re: Team Strategy

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 8:10 am

Wow, does no one else use the opponents catcher and outfield throwing arms to determine their Team Strategy for each series? Just looking at hold factor, it can change up to 8 points within the same series. Maybe I am thinking about it wrong. Does anyone know what the factors are that effects a successful steal? I guess there are two decisions that actually are affected by the defense...1) Does the baserunner attempt a steal and 2) Is the steal successful???

andycummings65

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

I find that with the large player pool in ATG, where I play, that EVERYBODY has a Catcher with an arm and outfielders who can throw. There may be the occasional +1 in LF, but I use the abilities of my runners to determine my settings, not the arms of the defenders, in general.

Ursoid

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 11:29 am

I've tried both approaches and it seems to me that setting things based on how your guys run works better. Using aggressive setting for base stealing (especially) or base running gets you some bone-headed decisions in tight situations. I've found that normal settings combined with "steal more" for my better base-stealers avoids a few of the stupider attempts to steal third or home - I think HAL probably knows about the catcher's arm and the pitcher's hold ability and takes those into account when deciding whether the runner's got a good lead. Perfectly? Probably not - but better than he does when you tell him to get wild and crazy. I think base running against the outfield works more or less the same - if I have a team that's really small ball and everybody can run, I might use an aggressive setting but if so I'd just set it and leave it a while (until I decided I'd had enough outs on the bases that killed potential rallies). It always comes down to what you think works best for your team.

coyote303

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Ballbuster wrote:Wow, does no one else use the opponents catcher and outfield throwing arms to determine their Team Strategy for each series?...

Short answer: no!

As Ursoid suggested, HAL takes into account the throwing and hold ratings, so there is no need to change your settings based on them. The only thing I change is my base running from aggressive to normal if I'm playing in an extreme hitters park.

Radagast Brown

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 2:29 pm

I do take into count those things, though computer Hal might do that as well.

olliescribner

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Ballbuster wrote:I would like to be able to set some of the strategies at the "game" level. The one that really drives me crazy is " Base Stealing". I like to base this on the opponent catcher's arm and throwing rating (sometimes there will be different starting catchers over the series if the starter is injured for one game or if the catchers are platooning); but mostly based on the starting pitcher's hold rating for each game. This can change significantly over a three game series and I would love to be able to choose my strategy for each game, as the manager does in real life. I'm sure additional choices also would fall in that category.

I like the way your thinking! Makes sense to me as well!

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM