Versatility of DH in lineup

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

The Biomechanical Man

Versatility of DH in lineup

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 5:32 pm

This has been brought up in the past, and received unsatisfying answers. Something about "the coding is too difficult." However, here we go again:

In the lineups, a starting DH should be able to move into a different lineup position if there is an injury.

For example, let's assume Jeter is your starting shortstop, A-Rod is listed as your starting 3B and backup shortstop, and Nick Punto is your backup 3B. If Jeter is hurt, then HAL will start A-Rod at SS and Punto at 3B. Perfect - just what we wanted.

However let's assume Jeter is your starting SS, A-Rod is listed as your starting DH and backup SS, and Punto is your backup DH. If Jeter is hurt, then HAL will leave A-Rod at DH and choose anyone else off the bench to start at SS. This is messed up; A-Rod should move over to SS and Punto should be DH.

STEVE F

Re: Versatility of DH in lineup

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Totally agree! Even in games after the injury, I've had the DH (slotted as a backup to other positions) stay at DH while a player not even rated at the injured position goes into the lineup.

Rosie2167

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 6:13 pm

My understanding of the actual baseball rules are that the DH is solely for use to bat for the Pitcher and if a DH is moved into a position (which is allowable) the DH is forfeited and the Pitcher must bat. That's probably where the coding problem is for SOM.

Rosie2167

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 8:02 pm

AHH, but after rereading your note you're referring to how HAL deals with starting lineups not in game changes? If that's the case then yes, agreed it seems that it could be handled more effectively.

The Biomechanical Man

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:31 am

Correct. DH switching to the field in the middle of a game is rare in real life and uncalled for in Strat.

However my complaint/suggestion is for the normal DH to grab a glove to start a game in the field, when instructed.

Considering the complexity of the Strat game engine, I can't imagine why this change would be so hard to fix.

paul8210

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Until the game company provides a service ticket form on their website for customers to fill out problem descriptions and provide sample attachments, I don't see how they could address all these issues in a constructive manner. I assume they do that internally based on review of customer emails and forum rants, but, who knows.

TomSiebert

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 11:18 am

I totally agree this is a significant problem for the game. Particularly when your DH is also your backup catcher; HAL leaves the backup catcher as DH and slots some scrub in the position.

I don't think it would be hard to write a piece of overriding code for the Catcher to step into the position.

Also: Do they just ignore the threads in this section of the chat boards? Is this really just a place to 'vent' about what we don't like about this game?

The Strat Godz are much less communicative since they dumped that guy who used to correspond with us all the time.

tws

l.strether

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm

TomSiebert wrote:I totally agree this is a significant problem for the game. Particularly when your DH is also your backup catcher; HAL leaves the backup catcher as DH and slots some scrub in the position.

I don't think it would be hard to write a piece of overriding code for the Catcher to step into the position.

Also: Do they just ignore the threads in this section of the chat boards? Is this really just a place to 'vent' about what we don't like about this game?

I wouldn't call it a significant problem; most players don't use their backup catcher as their DH, and we don't have to use them as such. Also, SOM already gives us a cheat by letting us carry only two catchers without worrying about the backup being injured. If we get to play without the risk of an injured backup catcher, we can survive with our backup catcher/dh not shifting from his position in the next game or two...if we choose to make our backup C our DH.

As I mentioned before, SOM has listened to us recently. They responded quickly to negative reaction to inclusion of Cuban and Japanese players in a new ATG set. So, they will respond. However, we can't expect them to implement every desired minor adjustment, such as more accurate DH replacements, particularly if they probably involve more than a piece of overriding code.

FFNogoodnik

PostTue Mar 10, 2015 12:30 pm

They should be able to do something like this:

If a starter is injured then compare the chosen replacement and the dh's defence range values. Put the better defender at the position and the other at dh.

It might not be perfect but will use the better fielder

Valen

PostMon May 04, 2015 9:09 am

I assume they do that internally based on review of customer emails and forum rants, but, who knows.

They have made it clear in the past the forums are not monitored. Supposedly they do monitor the Wish list thread but I doubt even this is looked at very often. So if you really feel there is a problem that needs fixed you need to be sending an email.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM