The Most Unrealistic Part of the Game Itself

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

l.strether

Re: The Most Unrealistic Part of the Game Itself

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 pm

alk58 wrote:Rule 10.06 Comment: The official scorer shall not credit the batter with a three-base hit when a preceding runner is put out at home plate, or would have been out but for an error.
There ya go

Thanks Alk. I was pretty sure on that one.

alk58

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 4:33 pm

l.strether wrote:
alk58 wrote:Rule 10.06 Comment: The official scorer shall not credit the batter with a three-base hit when a preceding runner is put out at home plate, or would have been out but for an error.
There ya go

yeah it makes sense since there is no way if the throw didn't go home to tell if the base runner would have attempted to get to 3rd.
Please send all PM's to allank58@gmail.com

coolhandlewke

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 3:45 pm

so on the subject of realism, while not a complaint per se, I'd love to see an additional option for situational hitting. it could have a rating just like the other cats. some players are masters of hitting behind runners at 2nd to move them over, hitting fly balls when runners are at 3rd with less than 2 outs, or not striking out when putting the ball in play is paramount. if a batter is adept at these things they shouldn't have to rely on a random roll. with a runner at 2nd with no outs some batters might hit a gb to the ss only a handful of times all season.
I would also like to see acknowledge the shift as a team strategy. it is everywhere now, and does work.

jimmerw55

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 3:36 pm

alk58 wrote:
l.strether wrote:
There ya go

yeah it makes sense since there is no way if the throw didn't go home to tell if the base runner would have attempted to get to 3rd.

What if both the runner on 1st and the hitter were thrown out at home? Say the batter had caught up to the runner from 1st and they both tried to score but both runners were out at home. I would think since the batter had passed 3rd he would be credited with a triple. Thoughts?

coolhandlewke

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 5:28 pm

here's another thing I would love to see adjusted, the ball park home run. by definition its a ball well struck, that would leave some parks and no leave others. we who watch baseball have seen hundreds or thousands of such hits over the years. sometimes the balls that don't get out are run down, but in many other cases they bounce at the track, off the wall, or deep in the gap. I would say close to half of bp hr's that stay in play are not caught. for some reason strat counts almost all failed bp hr's as outs. this needs a tweaking imo.

Michael Grammes

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 3:10 am

Let us not forget, the online version we all play and love, is not, how the game was intended to be played out on a regular basis.

BPHRs, that turn into outs, well, they are outs. The hitter is credited with that same double we are referring to, on another chance on his card.

These cards/teams, are meant to be played out, in real, MLB fashion, Pirates against the rest of the NL central. The Rays against the AL east etc etc

We are 'pose to sim this game as played in REAL LIFE, to attain(retain) players BA OBP SLG ERA, Whip... you get the point.

The super RP, that kills me. Same with the 4 man rotation.

Should we have a 5-7 man minors system with a cap value of 15 million. Think about it, these players would NEVER, be able to replace any player on your reg season club that cost even .01 less in cap space, but could be called up whenever we wanted in between any series, to replace any player that has a higher salary. 4 of these players would have to be pitchers, 2 SP and 2 RP. 3 hitters, including 1 c, 1 INF, and 1 OF. And, these players would have to see time playing in the regular season also.

Hmmm..

I smell a theme league coming. Any interest?? If so, I would hammer out the short list of rules at a later time, as its after 2 Am here now..

l.strether

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm

jimmerw55 wrote:What if both the runner on 1st and the hitter were thrown out at home? Say the batter had caught up to the runner from 1st and they both tried to score but both runners were out at home. I would think since the batter had passed 3rd he would be credited with a triple. Thoughts?

It doesn't matter if the batter passed third. If the advance runner did not advance as many bases as he, then he is still considered to have reached third because of the advance runner's out. It's not a triple; it's a double.

l.strether

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Michael Grammes wrote:Let us not forget, the online version we all play and love, is not, how the game was intended to be played out on a regular basis.

BPHRs, that turn into outs, well, they are outs. The hitter is credited with that same double we are referring to, on another chance on his card.

These cards/teams, are meant to be played out, in real, MLB fashion, Pirates against the rest of the NL central. The Rays against the AL east etc etc

We are 'pose to sim this game as played in REAL LIFE, to attain(retain) players BA OBP SLG ERA, Whip... you get the point.

The super RP, that kills me. Same with the 4 man rotation.

I don't know how you (and some others) played SOM, but my brother and I never played with actual MLB divisions. We each had two teams at a time and played leagues against each other. Many of my friends played the same way. We also didn't play to replicate the stats of real life. We played for the fun of the game and were just extra-pleased if the stats matched real-life ones. SOM is not structured for accurate statistical replication like other Sims are. It's structured to give the manager a high level of game and team control to maximize game-play enjoyment. That inherently compromises statistical replication.

As to your theme league, it sounds interesting. However, if you want to maximize reality, you would definitely have to put a limit on how many times a a manager was able to bring up and send down players.

alk58

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 pm

l.strether wrote:I don't know how you (and some others) played SOM, but my brother and I never played with actual MLB divisions. We each had two teams at a time and played leagues against each other. Many of my friends played the same way. We also didn't play to replicate the stats of real life. We played for the fun of the game and were just extra-pleased if the stats matched real-life ones. SOM is not structured for accurate statistical replication like other Sims are. It's structured to give the manager a high level of game and team control to maximize game-play enjoyment. That inherently compromises statistical replication.

nailed it l.strether, only difference we had 6 teams each keeping stats on paper and pencil.
Please send all PM's to allank58@gmail.com

jimmerw55

PostFri Feb 06, 2015 1:54 pm

l.strether wrote:
jimmerw55 wrote:What if both the runner on 1st and the hitter were thrown out at home? Say the batter had caught up to the runner from 1st and they both tried to score but both runners were out at home. I would think since the batter had passed 3rd he would be credited with a triple. Thoughts?

It doesn't matter if the batter passed third. If the advance runner did not advance as many bases as he, then he is still considered to have reached third because of the advance runner's out. It's not a triple; it's a double.

Thanks for the clarification.
PreviousNext

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM