Games-played guarantee

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

unctarheel

Games-played guarantee

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 7:37 am

The injury system should not prevent a hitter from having the same number of starts in a Stratomatic season as he had in the actual MLB season being played. For example, Nap Lajoie played in 131 games of a 136-season season. So a single 15-game injury causes him to miss three times as many starts in the simulation as it possibly did in real life and any subsequent injury rolls further compound the discrepancy.

MaxPower

Re: Games-played guarantee

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 pm

Why not guarantee that he can't get fewer hits or home runs while we're at it

coyote303

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 11:45 pm

While Max has a point, the injury system for Strat-O-Matic could use a major overhaul. And I'm not just talking SOM365; the regular game needs this. Don't hold your breath though.

ggyuppie

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 am

coyote303 wrote:While Max has a point, the injury system for Strat-O-Matic could use a major overhaul. And I'm not just talking SOM365; the regular game needs this. Don't hold your breath though.

Maybe Max is being funny, maybe he's missing the point. I also question why a player who started 131 games in a 137 game season has a chance to get injured for 15 games on one roll of the dice. The problem is not the system in this context, it's the injury rating assigned to 1901 Nap Lajoie. It should probably be 1.

MaxPower

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 3:31 am

He also has a chance to go all season without an injury. Maybe they could guarantee that he won't start more OR less than 131 games. They could remove injuries entirely and just limit everyone to their actual usage like draft leagues do.

On average a 1 misses 44 PA while a 1 misses 25. Pro-rated to 688 PA, 131/137 should miss 30 PA. So sure, 1 would seem to be more accurate, although it would obviously necessitate a re-pricing.

For me it seems like by far the least accurate part of injuries is a 4-man rotation going the entire season without getting hurt. Seems like a much bigger divergence from real life than Lajoie missing an extra 14 PA but oddly I don't hear much clamoring for more pitcher injuries.

barterer2002

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 8:48 am

Most simulations (including this one) under represent injuries. Teams count on players to be healthy but most players are going to miss significant time ( months at a time) due to injuries during their careers. Unless your goal is to exactly duplicate how a player played in a specific year then artificially reducing injuries is a poor suggestion.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSat Oct 28, 2023 7:52 am

my biggest complaint has always been the injury format. Why should a guy with 599 plate appearances have the same chance of injury as a guy with 100 plate appearances ?? Pitching injuries are nonexistent.Why do people complain about most of these leagues arent meant to simulate real life statistics anyway so if Gates Brown can get 600 AB in a league and pitchers never get hurt why have any injuries at all? Im paying money for this and with dice already being the deciding factor in the outcome why screw a manager who has many more injuries in a season with a team loaded with a team of 500 AB guys to a team loaded with 250 AB guys? I know people will say its because those teams use platoon systems but I doubt most of these guys were in platoon systems.

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM