Anyone do this with there board game cards?

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bh327

Anyone do this with there board game cards?

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 am

I decided to protect my Strat-o-Matic baseball cards. I had seen some youtube videos of strat guys playing with some beat up cards from sets from the past. Even the strat-o-matic newer cards sets are made with very thin stock.

I have a nice mix of old and new and in between cards. I prefer random teams and special sets to purchase instead of "seasons".

Even though team set are inexpensive, I decided to put every card I have into a 3x 5 baseball card plastic holder. I have around 75 to 100 teams from all era's. I purchased 2 plastic holder packages of 25 each to see if it was worth the bother.

It was perfect, No more worrying about tearing them or putting creases in the corners from picking them up and down for the next few decades. ( I am in my late 60's so I hope there are a few decades left...hahahaha)

The only problem would be the cost. I went to a number of baseball card shops that carry the card holders. The prices vary from $7 to $10 per 25 to a pack. I ended up getting a good thick plastic holders for the $7 a pack for 25 holders. I wanted to protect 75 teams for now.

When I figured it all out it was going to cost me $525 to protect my cards.......yikessssssss. That is without tax on them too. Bottom line was I ended up doing it. Some of the cards I have are teams not available anymore so I wanted to at least protect those. I also had to trim every single card very slightly to insert them into the 3 x 5 holders. Big job but worth it.

The cards now are easier to hold, and no worries about handling them with kid gloves anymore. I had a few friend's back in my teen days semi ruining my cards with greasy potato chip fingers while playing...ughhhhhhhhh.

Anyhow I was just curious in seeing if anyone has done this to or has another method of protecting there cards. I know I have bought a few game boxes already that have worn out or torn. I see some Strat players on youtube that have made there own tabletop fields, instead of using the game box. Some were good too.

Big Bruce

coyote303

Re: Anyone do this with there board game cards?

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Interesting even though I don't have cards anymore and play exclusively 365 online. Still, I like your idea.

However, if you want to do more teams, you could get 100 sleeves for about $11 on Amazon (I'm guessing these would work):

Vovoo 3x5 Recipe Card Protectors,100 Count,Recipe Card Covers,Index Card Sleeve

bh327

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks coyote for you insights. I will check that out and might save myself some money with the flexible type plastic sleeves. The ones I have now are real nice and the hard type plastic. I can always buy the cheaper sleeves for the teams I dont as much. Again thanks for your thoughts and idea,

Bruce

GMC5356

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 pm

I use Clearbags.com for my card sleeves.
I use the no flap 3x5 clear bags.
I buy 1000 at a time for around $30.
t takes a lot of time but you can also get clear bags that will hold teams.
Check it out.
Service is pretty good.

Jack327

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:46 am

Thanks GMC. I will check it out

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM