1969 Online game

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Rjnewman

Re: 1969 Online game

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 10:50 pm

I dont see why it is hard to bring back 1969. Have they ever told us why they will not bring it back?

l.strether

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 11:06 pm

I explained why here:
l.strether wrote:I imagine SOM would want to create new leagues that would also interest and attract younger players. I'm 46, and I have no clue who most of the 1969 players are and have little interest in playing such a league. I could only imagine the interest--or lack thereof--in actual younger players 35 and under. I would imagine a 2000's mystery league or a late 70's league--which also might be too "old"--would be of more interest to SOM to create, and a greater priority for them.

The 60's league also isn't exactly a major hit. They need to make leagues the majority of players--and new players--would want to play. That wouldn't be a 1969 league where many, if not most, present players and almost all new players wouldn't want to play. Despite what some mistakenly say, most players do want substantial familiarity with the players they use.

Paul_Long71

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 am

don't agree. ATG is very popular and filled with older players/names. '69 is still recent enough and had great years from most of the HOFers from the 60s and 70s. Jackson, Rose, Bench, Seaver, Mays, Aaron, McCovey, Stargell, Clemente, Robinson (both), Morgan, Killebrew, Perez, Torre, Ryan, Carlton, Palmer, Marichal, Niekro, ....and on and on. I'm sure I missed some obvious studs, just threw out some of the obvious names. One of the best sets around and had a nice following...miss those guys and the game.

l.strether

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:don't agree. ATG is very popular and filled with older players/names. '69 is still recent enough and had great years from most of the HOFers from the 60s and 70s. Jackson, Rose, Bench, Seaver, Mays, Aaron, McCovey, Stargell, Clemente, Robinson (both), Morgan, Killebrew, Perez, Torre, Ryan, Carlton, Palmer, Marichal, Niekro, ....and on and on. I'm sure I missed some obvious studs, just threw out some of the obvious names. One of the best sets around and had a nice following...miss those guys and the game.

Well, I don't agree with that disagreement. First of all, the ATG leagues include famous players from many leagues, not just one; so, it isn't an apt comparison. ATG also doesn't have to develop a new fan base. Secondly, players don't just want familiarity with the star players, they want familiarity with the majority of the players with a league as well. Finally, most young managers--40 and under--care as much about those players you mentioned as players 50 and over care about Medwick, Anson, and Lajoie. They want to play with players they grew up with. The fact many supporters of this 1969 league actually remember that season proves that.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 1:24 am

no prob. agree to disagree. no point in continuing to argue with you as the two of us have no say in the grand scheme of whether '69 season gets back in the game or not. just loved the solid core we had that played that season....and I jumped in to that group at the end so wish it would come back. oh well.

l.strether

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 11:14 am

I completely understand, and I do hope you get the league.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 pm

8 years ago we had the 1969 season.....they pulled it when they switched over....at the time it was said it would be back soon, just had other things higher up on their list of things to do.

Wow, they are slow. 8 years..........
Previous

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM