1st NAKL Chat: LOCKED RULES ON PAGE 1

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: NAKL Chat:

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm

mlbphan wrote:I’m hoping for an open discussion on here & that we can possibly look into this rule getting amended. Maybe we could have a league vote since the changes that are happening to ballparks from one season to the next whether up in homeruns or down depending on the park are becoming more noticeable & drastic. The time to consider this is now while we are not in the midst of drafting/playing.

If you want to propose a rule change, simply write up the new rule, and put it to a vote, takes a 2/3's majority to change a rule.

As commissioner, I always vote dead last to ensure I'm not swaying votes.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm

mlbphan wrote:I’m hoping for an open discussion on here & that we can possibly look into this rule getting amended. Maybe we could have a league vote since the changes that are happening to ballparks from one season to the next whether up in homeruns or down depending on the park are becoming more noticeable & drastic. The time to consider this is now while we are not in the midst of drafting/playing.

I personally only like the idea of ballpark changes if there is a dramatic shift in someone’s ballpark.
I’ve played in Oakland’s stadium for several seasons and it is consistently a pitchers park. If all of a sudden they brought the walls in and made it a launching pad then I think it would be reasonable to be able to change to another pitchers park (although there are fewer and fewer it seems).
That said I don’t like the idea of changing year to year just because.
Just my $0.02

lakeviewdave

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Availables to deal this off-season

Michael Brantley LF/RF
Giancarlo Stanton LF/RF
Ramon Laureano CF/RF
Gary Sanchez C
Dee Gordon 2B
Hanser Alberto 2B/3B
Yoan Moncada 3B
Nico Hoerner 2B/SS (prospect)
Alex Kirilloff 1B/OF (prospect)
Dylan Carlson OF (prospect)

Could be a few others would consider dealing as well, looking for upgrades at 1B, 2B, RP, FA picks primarily, but open to other possibilities

Jerlins

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Ninersphan wrote:

If you want to propose a rule change, simply write up the new rule, and put it to a vote, takes a 2/3's majority to change a rule.

As commissioner, I always vote dead last to ensure I'm not swaying votes.

I'd be open to a stadium change, but only as a draft pick option. I felt the need to change mine and traded my park plus a 2nd prospect pick because it was that important to me. Ballparks can be as important as a high draft pick. Anything less than a 3rd RD draft pick and I'd vote no.

mlbphan

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 10:15 pm

I will try to come up with something that hopefully pleases everyone in some way. Hope to have time tomorrow to put it together so the league can vote on it.

a couple of ideas I have for this are as follows.

1) once a change were to be made the clock would run for either 2 years (4 seasons) or 3 years (6 seasons)
2) this would be voluntary (not mandatory) for owners.
3) any owner that makes a change would have the year that change was made next to the stadium on the roster sheet.
4) owners could make the change on a first come first serve basis by posting on the main forum or by stadium draft situated between annual FA draft & annual prospect draft (worst to first OR first to worst???).
5) trading of ballparks amongst owners sets a new clock & these trades must be made prior to seasom1 or after the conclusion of season2 (NOT between seasons) so as to keep bookkeeping simple as well as the timeline for the clock.
6) an addendum to the two year (4 season) or three year (6 season) clock would be made for any owner that were to have their park adjusted in a particular season by a cumulative TOTAL of +/- 8 or greater on homeruns & singles to drop their park & pick up a similar ballpark to the one they had.
mind you changing when this happens is voluntary by an owner & if chosen can only happen at the start of a new year & not between seasons.
using my park (Yankee Stadium) for example last year LH HR was 1-17 & RH HR was 1-14 & now for this year it’s 1-13 & 1-10 respectively which is -8.
once that owner makes the change the new clock would start. also this addendum would only apply to the beginning of a new year (when the full ratings are released) & NOT between season1 & season2 of a year. any owner that uses the addendum must state that reason on the forum when making the change so there is no conflict & the commissioner is aware of why this happened.

these are just ideas so any feedback is welcome & can be debated before I formally write up a stadium rule change proposal to be voted on.

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan

btw hope this wasn’t too overwhelming.
Last edited by mlbphan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jerlins

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Your ideas are well thought out and appreciate the time spent on it. Some of these don't need a response but here goes:

1. No problem with this. 3 years is the least an owner should be committed,

3. This is already in effect. No duplicate stadiums.

5. No, would want this via draft.

6. No, trades should be allowed. Don't like your stadium? Find someone that does, even at a cost if need be. As mentioned in my previous post, I hated Miller Park so much I gave up 2nd RD prospect to get out of it.

7. Makes little sense. Coors for example is 15 on both side. What if it turns into 12 on both side? Or 18 both sides? Still a neutral park.

Now, perhaps the biggest reason I am against stadium swaps:
Player A is in my division for the upcoming season. He appears to be my strongest competitor. He's also loaded with RH'd ballpark HR hitters, not to mention a lineup featuring 8 or 9 RH hitters. I don't really care if I change my stadium, but it sure would neutralize my biggest competitor. I'll select LA(AL) to gain a slight advantage. Might only be 2 or 3 games, but those 3 games may make the difference between a playoff spot or watching on the sidelines.

I understand you're unhappy with the ballpark. I've been there as well. But "trading in it" without some penalty is not a good idea, if for no other reason, then for the example I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Ninersphan

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 pm

I will add one thing to the discussion, as a courtesy, new managers have always been allowed to switch their stadium or trade the right to switch to another manger for their stadium.

This would always be part of any stadium rules.

PS there is nothing simple about keeping track of stadium swaps in your suggestions. Your ideas while well thought out would be a major book keeping PITA. I would suggest making the ability to switch every year or not at all. Trying to keep track of when everyone switched when we average one owner drop out every year, is more book keeping than I would really want.

K.I.S.S.

If you don't know what that means let me know. ;)

That said, if your proposal is what the league wants, then that's what we'll do.
Last edited by Ninersphan on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 pm

The commissioner’s wishes/opinion should count for a lot since we all rely on the work they put in to keep a league going.

mlbphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:16 pm

I appreciate the feedback guys. As our commissioner Bill has so eloquently stated I will KEPP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

I’m gonna come up with a proposal combining Bill’s current stadium rule but changing it to allow for owners to change their ballpark to any available one yearly between the FA draft & the prospect draft. I understand most owners will just want to keep their own ballpark but for those occasions where STRAT may substantially alter a ballpark’s HR’s up or downward at least the option is there for owners once per new year.

so trading for parks would not be changed & I won’t be adding a complicated addendum that would just add to confusion.

I will post the new proposal sometime this upcoming week.

thanx again
Rick
mlbphan

btw Jerlins mentioned what he did to get the ballpark he wanted & I totally understand. I too carefully thought out why I wanted & took Yankee Stadium when I first took over this team. I planned on building a roster around homerun hitters even though at the time I took the team over it had NONE. I was willing to take my lumps with a homerun ballpark when other teams came in with their “Blake Street Bombers” & beat the stuffing out of me because I had a bigger plan. Now my team is finally getting to be more of a HR hitting roster & what happens to my park?!?! In two years it drops from 1-19 LH HR & 1-16 RH HR down to 1-13 LH HR & 1-10 RH HR for the upcoming set. As I mentioned earlier the drop from last year to this year was the most substantial going from 1-17 LH HR & 1-14 RH HR to the 1-13 & 1-10 for a negative 8 total adjustment.
I never imagined when I picked the park that it would dramatically change like this especially when the Yankees broke their team HR record the last two years in a row.

Roscodog

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 pm

The biggest thing for me is I don’t like the idea of teams changing stadiums year to year just to suit the team they have that season or to combat divisional opponents.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat