1st NAKL Chat: LOCKED RULES ON PAGE 1

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: NAKL (North American Keeper League) Chat

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Moving right along, I HOPE we'll have the draft finished by mid week, then I'll send out rosters. I'll be setting up the league soon...

schnoogens

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

I guess I'm confused...were the 2012 draftees eligible in the prospect draft? I've always thought that the current year's picks were ineligible for ALL drafts until the following year. I hope I don't see a 2012 draft pick taken in the supplemental...

schnoogens

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am

Yeah, we definitely need to clarify this...it doesn't seem like guys like Buxton, Correia, Zunino should have been eligible to be taken. It looks like the rules have been written in a way that if the 2012 draft is long in the rearview (as it was for us this season) that almost all of them would be eligible. I intentionally did not pick those players, thinking they were off limits.

Ninersphan

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 1:53 pm

schnoogens wrote:Yeah, we definitely need to clarify this...it doesn't seem like guys like Buxton, Correia, Zunino should have been eligible to be taken. It looks like the rules have been written in a way that if the 2012 draft is long in the rearview (as it was for us this season) that almost all of them would be eligible. I intentionally did not pick those players, thinking they were off limits.

That's the way the rule has always been, it's just that we usually have the draft prior to these guys being signed and it comes up EVERY year.

But to answer your question, Yes, these guys were eligible because the draft was later.

and I'll say it again. I have no problem with it, mainly because prospects are such a crap shoot anyway that I don't really think theres any inherent unfairness to anyone.

If you read the rules, it very clearly states:

4) Only those players without MLB experience signed by MLB teams are eligible for any prospect draft.
a)Spring Propsect Eligibility: Prospects are defined as any player that has a signed contract with an MLB organization that has no MLB experience prior to the start of the current MLB season.
b) Summer Prospect Draft Eligibility: Same as above but may include players called up during the actual MLB season, but will not include MLB draft picks that have not signed contracts prior to the start of the summer draft

Meaning if they have a signed contract, they are eligible, even if the contract was signed the day before teh draft started.

I've also repeatedly posted that if you have a question on eligibility then ASK, and I'll be glad to answer. I post that at the start of every draft along with the reminder of who is, and who isn't, eligible.

From the first post in the draft thread:

For clarification, players eligible include:

Any player signed with an MLB organization that did not have MLB service time prior to the start of the Current MLB season that is not on another teams roster. This means that rookies that are currently playing might be eligible, as an example Irving Falu INF KC.

If you have doubts ask.

Again I do not know what else I can do to make it clearer.

Also again, if you want a rule, draft it and put it up for a vote and we'll vote on it. I've always said this is your league, I'm just the administrator.

AS for this question/concern:

schnoogens wrote:I guess I'm confused...were the 2012 draftees eligible in the prospect draft? I've always thought that the current year's picks were ineligible for ALL drafts until the following year. I hope I don't see a 2012 draft pick taken in the supplemental...

That can't happen, as only players with MLB playing time PRIOR to the current season are eligible for a supplemental draft.

From the rules:

7) Eligiliblity for players to be drafted follows the same rules as the Spring Free Agent draft for that year, that is, any player with MLB experience prior to the start of the current MLB season is eligible to be drafted in the supplemental draft

I really do try and cover all this in the rules, perhaps re-reading them pruior to a draft would be helpful ;)

schnoogens

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 5:53 pm

schnoogens wrote:It looks like the rules have been written in a way that if the 2012 draft is long in the rearview (as it was for us this season) that almost all of them would be eligible.

Clearly I understand how the rules are written, as I stated here. I do not like the rule as it's written because it creates inconsistency from year to year solely depending on the timing of our draft.

The rule should be rewritten as:

b) Summer Prospect Draft Eligibility: Same as above but may include players called up during the actual MLB season, but will not include MLB draft picks that have not signed contracts prior to the start of the MLB season."

Anyone else agree?

Jerlins

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

schnoogens wrote:
schnoogens wrote:It looks like the rules have been written in a way that if the 2012 draft is long in the rearview (as it was for us this season) that almost all of them would be eligible.

Clearly I understand how the rules are written, as I stated here. I do not like the rule as it's written because it creates inconsistency from year to year solely depending on the timing of our draft.

The rule should be rewritten as:

b) Summer Prospect Draft Eligibility: Same as above but may include players called up during the actual MLB season, but will not include MLB draft picks that have not signed contracts prior to the start of the MLB season."

Anyone else agree?

That's why I wrote what I did a couple of posts ago. As mentioned, one of these years, a player with the fanfare of a Bryce Harper will be drafted by MLB but may not be eligible to be drafted because for a change, we had our prospect draft earlier than what we've had the last two years. The manager with the first pick that particular year could easily cry foul based on past history of the league. Therefore, I will make the proposal of an amendment for vote.

Jerlins

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

I'd like to propose an amendment for our league concerning our prospect draft:

Effective with the start of the 2013 calender year:

Summer Prospect Draft Eligibility: Same as above but may include players called up during the actual MLB season, but will not include MLB draft picks that have not signed contracts prior to the start of the MLB season."

1 Aray0113
2 Mfl
3 Ninersphan
4 schnoogens
5 Jerlins - Yes
6 WJS6768
7 madigan33
8 thisisray
9 bigmahon
10 thisisdan26
11 Roscodog
12 nythawk

Roscodog

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Summer Prospect Draft Eligibility: Same as above but may include players called up during the actual MLB season, but will not include MLB draft picks that have not signed contracts prior to the start of the MLB season."

1 Aray0113
2 Mfl
3 Ninersphan
4 schnoogens
5 Jerlins - Yes
6 WJS6768
7 madigan33
8 thisisray
9 bigmahon
10 thisisdan26
11 Roscodog -Yes
12 nythawk

Ninersphan

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 pm

1 Aray0113
2 Mfl
3 schnoogens
4 Jerlins - Yes
5 WJS6768
6 madigan33
7 thisisray
8 bigmahon
9 thisisdan26
10 Roscodog -Yes
11 nythawk

I do not get a vote in these things guys, that way there can't ever be a tie, nor can I be accused of swaying votes due to being commisioner. ;)

schnoogens

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 pm

1 Aray0113
2 Mfl
3 schnoogens Yes
4 Jerlins - Yes
5 WJS6768
6 madigan33
7 thisisray
8 bigmahon
9 thisisdan26
10 Roscodog -Yes
11 nythawk

I do not get a vote in these things guys, that way there can't ever be a tie, nor can I be accused of swaying votes due to being commisioner.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat