1st NAKL Chat: LOCKED RULES ON PAGE 1

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mlbphan

Re: NAKL Chat:

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 pm

The biggest thing for me is I don’t like the idea of teams changing stadiums year to year just to suit the team they have that season or to combat divisional opponents.

so what’s the alternative to a situation like what just happened to me where I carefully selected my ballpark (homerun friendly) when I inherited the team only to watch the homeruns significantly drop to the point where it’s basically neutral.

do we leave the rule the way it currently stands & I ask Bill & the league to have an exception where I can drop the ballpark to pick up a more homerun oriented ballpark since STRAT has knocked it down so much. at that point the park (if I were to select one) is the park I’ll be stuck with. look subtle changes to a ballpark from one season to the next I understand & can live with but you would all have to agree after being shown the evidence that these were NOT slight or subtle changes by STRAT.

Ninersphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Playing devil’s advocate, it could go back up again next year too Rick. I would also argue, that while Yankee isn’t Coors Field East, like it was two to three years ago, it’s hardly a pitchers park in the mold of whatever they are calling the Giants stadium these days ( I can’t keep up with the name changes, is it still PAC Bell Park???). You ride it out and/or try to trade for a more suitable park. I have done similar in other leagues. I traded away Citizens Bank Park for Pitts Briggs stadium because I was tired of my pitchers getting lit up like a Christmas tree only to regret that decision as Pittsburgh seemed to get bigger and bigger diminishing my offense. I waited a few years and the park became more neutral.

Again, I’m just playing devils advocate. I’m not opposed to changing, or for it, I’m neutral and will do what the league wants. I just want whatever you come up with to be easy to implement and not take to much bookkeeping.

Roscodog

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:34 pm

mlbphan wrote:
The biggest thing for me is I don’t like the idea of teams changing stadiums year to year just to suit the team they have that season or to combat divisional opponents.

so what’s the alternative to a situation like what just happened to me where I carefully selected my ballpark (homerun friendly) when I inherited the team only to watch the homeruns significantly drop to the point where it’s basically neutral.

do we leave the rule the way it currently stands & I ask Bill & the league to have an exception where I can drop the ballpark to pick up a more homerun oriented ballpark since STRAT has knocked it down so much. at that point the park (if I were to select one) is the park I’ll be stuck with. look subtle changes to a ballpark from one season to the next I understand & can live with but you would all have to agree after being shown the evidence that these were NOT slight or subtle changes by STRAT.

I do agree that if a ballpark changes drastically from year to year that an owner should be able to switch to an available ballpark that most closely represents what they had the previous season. I lobbied for this exact thing in a different league.
As mentioned, I know I’d be unhappy if Oakland all of a sudden turned into a HR stadium.

Roscodog

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 pm

I wish strat could just come up with a stadium ratings system that would rely on dimensions instead. See less year to year variations.

mlbphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Unread postSun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm

I wish strat could just come up with a stadium ratings system that would rely on dimensions instead. See less year to year variations.

I agree 100% Ryan. This is frustrating to say the least.

mlbphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Playing devil’s advocate, it could go back up again next year too Rick. I would also argue, that while Yankee isn’t Coors Field East, like it was two to three years ago, it’s hardly a pitchers park in the mold of whatever they are calling the Giants stadium these days ( I can’t keep up with the name changes, is it still PAC Bell Park???). You ride it out and/or try to trade for a more suitable park. I have done similar in other leagues. I traded away Citizens Bank Park for Pitts Briggs stadium because I was tired of my pitchers getting lit up like a Christmas tree only to regret that decision as Pittsburgh seemed to get bigger and bigger diminishing my offense. I waited a few years and the park became more neutral.

Again, I’m just playing devils advocate. I’m not opposed to changing, or for it, I’m neutral and will do what the league wants. I just want whatever you come up with to be easy to implement and not take to much bookkeeping.

I really appreciate your response Bill & DO NOT want to create more bookkeeping for you.

I would like to lobby to you & the league to allow me to make a change to pickup a ballpark that more closely resembles the ballpark I picked two years ago when I took over the team. there’s a ballpark out there available (CBP - Citizens Bank Park) that STRAT hasn’t changed dramatically at all. It’s remained consistently a HR ballpark. I’m only asking for this exception because of the substantial downward HR change in the ballpark I took (Yankee Stadium). As I said before if this had been a subtle change I would not be passionate about this situation at all & wouldn’t even be lobbying to all of you but the minus 8 in just one year is too much.

So I’m asking the league to allow me this one time exception to drop Yankee Stadium & pick up Citizens Bank Park & if the league were to consider a penalty of some sort for this then I’d be willing to forfeit my 1st rd supplemental pick to make such a move.

this would also allow Bill’s (& the league’s) rule to remain in place but maybe we could add this situation to the rule as the only exception for making a ballpark change.

I think this might be the best solution to this situation.

feedback??

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan

Ninersphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm

mlbphan wrote:

I really appreciate your response Bill & DO NOT want to create more bookkeeping for you.

I would like to lobby to you & the league to allow me to make a change to pickup a ballpark that more closely resembles the ballpark I picked two years ago when I took over the team. there’s a ballpark out there available (CBP - Citizens Bank Park) that STRAT hasn’t changed dramatically at all. It’s remained consistently a HR ballpark. I’m only asking for this exception because of the substantial downward HR change in the ballpark I took (Yankee Stadium). As I said before if this had been a subtle change I would not be passionate about this situation at all & wouldn’t even be lobbying to all of you but the minus 8 in just one year is too much.

So I’m asking the league to allow me this one time exception to drop Yankee Stadium & pick up Citizens Bank Park & if the league were to consider a penalty of some sort for this then I’d be willing to forfeit my 1st rd supplemental pick to make such a move.

this would also allow Bill’s (& the league’s) rule to remain in place but maybe we could add this situation to the rule as the only exception for making a ballpark change.

I think this might be the best solution to this situation.

feedback??

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan

Actually, I do not think that is a solution in and of it self. The one thing I will not do is simply grant you an exception, because the numbers changed to your disliking. Odds are anyone playing in a keeper league, without being able to change stadiums from year to year, has had this happen to them as well. There is a remedy already in place, make a trade.

Now, if you want to propose a rule where EVERY team has the option of forfeiting their 1st round supplemental draft pick to allow for a stadium change, that's fine. But if you are allowed to do it, EVERYONE should be. You have already been given an exemption to the stadium rules by being allowed to change stadiums when you took over the team.

Sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but I have to look out for the other 11 league members too. ;)

mlbphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 6:11 pm

original post deleted
Last edited by mlbphan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Roscodog

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Before voting. One suggestion for option 1, that the change of stadium must be to a stadium that is closer to the previous stadium alignment they had. As in, it’s not an option to go a completely different direction.

Ninersphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Please keep in mind ONE of your three options must have a two thirds majority in order for the rule to change. If wind up with a split vote without one of the options getting at least 8 votes nothing happens.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat