Summer - Winter Keeper League - RULE CHANGES?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tcochran

Re: Summer - Winter Keeper League - SEASON 29

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 pm

The 2022 cardset was an exciting one for the 3 teams that stockpiled high value players. It was, however, boring and a waste of money for the other 9 teams. See the comparison of salaries vs. wins at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =247515018

I propose that we amend the rules to make the league more competitive, as follows:
- Salary cap of $130 mil
- Salary floor of $100 mil

I am also open to other suggestions as to how to make the game more enjoyable for all.

What do you think?

jflatour99

Re: Summer - Winter Keeper League - RULE CHANGES?

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 1:23 pm

If that can help the league and to retain our nice group of managers, I’m in favor.

The Cheyennes are going to rule anyway :twisted:

Denorien

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 6:28 pm

tcochran wrote:The 2022 cardset was an exciting one for the 3 teams that stockpiled high value players. It was, however, boring and a waste of money for the other 9 teams. See the comparison of salaries vs. wins at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =247515018

I propose that we amend the rules to make the league more competitive, as follows:
- Salary cap of $130 mil

I am also open to other suggestions as to how to make the game more enjoyable for all.

What do you think?

1. How would carded and uncarded 'farm' players and prospects count toward the $130M cap? One curious example is Trevor Bauer were he to be signed by a MLB team and Liverpool continues to keep him.

1a. An example of a carded prospect could be Wyatt Langford if he stays up and has a decent season. There are other prospects capable of being carded next year and given salaries in the 2024 Baseball Daily card set. Liverpool could chose to bury Langford for a 2nd prospect season keeping his salary off the $130M cap.

1b. Can a manager choose to have less than 40 players to stay under the $130M cap?

2. How would teams below the $100M floor come up?

However the rules are changed, I encourage our commish to NOT treat it like a democratic vote. Solicit input and feedback from various ideas. Commish prepares a rule change proposal with a few 'this' or 'that' options and asks for feedback for pros and cons; what will and won't work. How it could be exploited or otherwise have unintended consequences.

Then, the commish 'publishes' the changed rules. No vote. Voting with such a small number of 'voters' (12 managers) encourages managers to find exploits, hacks, or other competitive advantages and then lobby other managers to 'vote' with them. There's no best interests of the league with voting.

lakeviewdave

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 6:41 pm

Some thoughts

Prospect draft 2 rounds
Supp draft 2 rounds
Max prospects 4
Max 20-25 keepers prior to FA draft

I don't think it correct to look at just this past season at records, as your stated you went for it this year and traded for some high priced players and had a great record, but what happens next year? Did you sacrifice next year/future to win now?

I think the quantity for quality argument is probably true but I have not looked at the trade list to verify.

Perhaps every couple of years there is a draft where you can only freeze so many players and the non-playoff teams can select a player from other teams, like what happens when an expansion draft occurs, or do like football Rule 5 draft and if select someone, you lose a draft pick? Just throwing some ideas out there, no one thing will address the issue, I don't think.

tcochran

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm

Thanks, Dave, I was thinking about similar draft and roster limits

oldmansmith2

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 7:26 pm

I'm highly in favor of the salary cap. Not in favor of a drastic reduction in keepers. I've been trying to rebuild slowly, keeping my higher rated prospects and younger regulars on my 30 man roster as much as possible. If I'm forced to only 20 keepers that strategy is out the window. If I keep my top 20 players regardless of age to try to compete in the short run, well just look at what I would have compared to the top teams. If I kept most of my younger players God knows how long it would take to fill in all the holes and how long before the young'uns are reaching their potential. I think a salary cap with some other minor tweaks is all that's needed. I can only talk about my situation of course. Last year I had a salary of around 97mil and this year it will be approaching 120mil. While a 130mil cap will probably mean I won't win the title, I would at least be somewhat competitive and have a lot more interest in the season.

Denorien

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 7:30 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:Some thoughts

Prospect draft 2 rounds
Supp draft 2 rounds
Max prospects 4
Max 20-25 keepers prior to FA draft

I don't think it correct to look at just this past season at records, as your stated you went for it this year and traded for some high priced players and had a great record, but what happens next year? Did you sacrifice next year/future to win now?

I think the quantity for quality argument is probably true but I have not looked at the trade list to verify.

Perhaps every couple of years there is a draft where you can only freeze so many players and the non-playoff teams can select a player from other teams, like what happens when an expansion draft occurs, or do like football Rule 5 draft and if select someone, you lose a draft pick? Just throwing some ideas out there, no one thing will address the issue, I don't think.

I think there's a pattern to how superstars and top draft picks are traded that is a significant contributor to inequity in the league from year to year. I'm not sure what I would suggest to manage the trades that concern me. But, I think they are definitely a factor. Meanwhile, I think fewer keepers and fewer prospect picks impact me / Liverpool more than any other team / manager.

jflatour99

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 7:47 pm

Somehow, all those who accept to liquid a bunch of their prospects or young players to get the Jarret Parker or worse, those who draft those big baloons with their top picks instead of going with the future ARE a big part of the problem too? Your clear all your future to get instant success.

Ultimately, each of us choose our own destiny and to refuse to move (trade) leaves you in some middle ground.

That was my two cents.

But I'm open to new rules to limit these sorts of excess. But we will never be able to prevent a manager from drafting a Jarrett Parker over a Paul Skenes !

oldmansmith2

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 7:58 pm

Denorien wrote:
tcochran wrote:The 2022 cardset was an exciting one for the 3 teams that stockpiled high value players. It was, however, boring and a waste of money for the other 9 teams. See the comparison of salaries vs. wins at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =247515018

- Salary cap of $130 mil

What do you think?

1. How would carded and uncarded 'farm' players and prospects count toward the $130M cap? One curious example is Trevor Bauer were he to be signed by a MLB team and Liverpool continues to keep him.

1a. An example of a carded prospect could be Wyatt Langford if he stays up and has a decent season. There are other prospects capable of being carded next year and given salaries in the 2024 Baseball Daily card set. Liverpool could chose to bury Langford for a 2nd prospect season keeping his salary off the $130M cap.

1b. Can a manager choose to have less than 40 players to stay under the $130M cap?

2. How would teams below the $100M floor come up?

However the rules are changed, I encourage our commish to NOT treat it like a democratic vote. Solicit input and feedback from various ideas. Commish prepares a rule change proposal with a few 'this' or 'that' options and asks for feedback for pros and cons; what will and won't work. How it could be exploited or otherwise have unintended consequences.

Then, the commish 'publishes' the changed rules. No vote. Voting with such a small number of 'voters' (12 managers) encourages managers to find exploits, hacks, or other competitive advantages and then lobby other managers to 'vote' with them. There's no best interests of the league with voting.

If a salary cap is installed one of the things that would have to be decided is how it would work. In the Salary Cap Keeper League we have 40 players but the salary cap of 120mil only applies to the lineup you go with each night. You could have 150mil in total salary among your forty but as long as the team you field on any given night is 120mil or less you're ok. In the Ted Lasso league we have 32 players and a 110mil cap but that only applies to the active roster you have for the entire season. Any extra carded players or uncarded players or prospects you have are not available and therefore don't count towards your salary cap.
One thing I don't agree with is not voting on this. Too big a change to not at least have a vote on any final proposal imo but I hope everybody makes their opinions known.

tcochran

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 pm

oldmansmith2 wrote:In the Ted Lasso league we have 32 players and a 110mil cap but that only applies to the active roster you have for the entire season. Any extra carded players or uncarded players or prospects you have are not available and therefore don't count towards your salary cap.
One thing I don't agree with is not voting on this. Too big a change to not at least have a vote on any final proposal imo but I hope everybody makes their opinions known.

Agreed that salary cap would only apply to active roster in game engine.

Also agreed that a rule change vote would be required. I can certainly start a new league with different rules, but I would not want to independently change rules that others have agreed/acquiesced to.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat