2010 Keeper League Chat Thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rant

Re: 2010 Keeper League Chat Thread

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm

There's a lot of ways to interpret rules language, and I can see how either side could be argued. But, since the start of the league I can't recall a time where a previously carded veteran was selected in the prospect draft. The precedent just doesn't seem to be there to draft in this fashion.

To paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart: I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of players I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description prospects, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the draft pick involved in this case is not that.

I would vote no in changing the rule to accommodate if it comes to that; it seems more in line with the supplemental draft.

The Turtle

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:13 pm

drew6013 wrote:Rule:
4.) Prospects can be promoted to the Major League Roster at any time, PROVIDED there is a Roster Space available. Once promoted, all Prospects lose their Prospect Status, and CANNOT be demoted back to Prospect Status.

Buster Posey was selected in our initial prospect draft. He was promoted to a major league roster. How/why would he be a prospect now?

Because per the rules, he does not have a card this year. This is the loophole. I pointed out earlier and thought we could close. Dave wanted to keep it open because we have already started the draft. And then picked Posey. Regardless, we need to close it for future drafts. Just in case.

drew6013

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pm

One of the rules in question:

2) Each team will be able to select 3 prospects, which is any player who DID NOT RECEIVE A CARD ON THE SOM website and is the property of an MLB team.

Just to be clear. Crystal. (H/T Tom Cruise) It does not say “card this year”.

FRANKMANSUETO

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:49 pm

Granted, loophole or NOT. As far as I'm concerned Buster Posey is NOT a prospect. Posey has played in the Majors since 2009. He lost his prospect status as soon as he played in the required number of MLB games that no longer made him a prospect. I get last season he opted out but he didn't lose his status as a major leaguer along with ALL those that did the same. I've said my part with regards to this discussion and I'm considering him NOT a prospect.

lakeviewdave

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:54 pm

The Turtle wrote:
drew6013 wrote:Rule:
4.) Prospects can be promoted to the Major League Roster at any time, PROVIDED there is a Roster Space available. Once promoted, all Prospects lose their Prospect Status, and CANNOT be demoted back to Prospect Status.

Buster Posey was selected in our initial prospect draft. He was promoted to a major league roster. How/why would he be a prospect now?

Because per the rules, he does not have a card this year. This is the loophole. I pointed out earlier and thought we could close. Dave wanted to keep it open because we have already started the draft. And then picked Posey. Regardless, we need to close it for future drafts. Just in case.

I have changed my pick, this rules should be cleared up whatever the INTENT was and be CRYSTAL clear about it;)

I was hoping Tim put something out about this before picks 12 and 14 came up, so the INTENT was if Posey, Haniger, etc. were allowed that I was not going to miss out taking one of them (or a few others). Some leagues do allow this and is CLEARLY stated in the rules.

timklucinec

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Fellas, I am putting out an email on this subject.

Tim

timklucinec

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 8:55 pm

Fellas,
Per my email, the changes that I have stated are now implemented. I will update the rules ASAP.
The Prospect Draft is now resumed. Thank you all for the inputs., most appreciated.

Tim K

timklucinec

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 pm

Guys,
Our 2021 Prospect Draft is Complete!!!! Well Done!!! Thanks for all of your help!

Tim

lakeviewdave

PostMon May 17, 2021 8:56 am

Players available to deal now

Paul Goldschmidt 1B
George Springer CF/RF
Michael Brantley LF vs RHP
Eddie Rosario LF vs RHP
Luis Castillo SP

drew6013