2010 Keeper League Chat Thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Turtle

Re: 2010 Keeper League Chat Thread

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:
The Turtle wrote:Yermin Mercedes should not be eligible. He had an AB last year, FYI

He didnt receive a card and is property of MLB team, so per rules he is eligible.

--- MOVING THIS OVER TO HERE FROM THE PROSPECT THREAD ---

you are correct, my bad. I am in too many keeper leagues.

2) Each team will be able to select 3 prospects, which is any player who DID NOT RECEIVE A CARD ON THE SOM website and is the property of an MLB team.

Although, this is slippery slope. I mean Buster Posey did not receive a card. Is he a prospect? Perhaps we need to change that language to HAS NEVER received a card, which I think is the intent. I don't think this would need a vote, since it would be a clarification of the rule and not a change.

lakeviewdave

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 1:48 pm

The Turtle wrote:
lakeviewdave wrote:
The Turtle wrote:Yermin Mercedes should not be eligible. He had an AB last year, FYI

He didnt receive a card and is property of MLB team, so per rules he is eligible.

--- MOVING THIS OVER TO HERE FROM THE PROSPECT THREAD ---

you are correct, my bad. I am in too many keeper leagues.

2) Each team will be able to select 3 prospects, which is any player who DID NOT RECEIVE A CARD ON THE SOM website and is the property of an MLB team.

Although, this is slippery slope. I mean Buster Posey did not receive a card. Is he a prospect? Perhaps we need to change that language to HAS NEVER received a card, which I think is the intent. I don't think this would need a vote, since it would be a clarification of the rule and not a change.

I disagree, Posey if not carded is considered a prospect this year, either your carded then in FA draft or not-carded then in prospect draft. There are more than a few leagues like this currently. So there are not any players could not be drafted in one of the drafts. There are some league that if not carded, are not eligible for any draft, that is not the case here.

It would need a vote and would not go in effect until next year, as you may want to change eligibility for FA draft as well.

The rules are clear to who is eligible for FA and prospect drafts.

The Turtle

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

I am in 10 leagues and this is the only one I know of where Buster Posey, who is close to retirement -- but having a great year so far -- would be considered a prospect. And frankly, that is pretty freaking stupid. And players who opted out due to COVID only make it worse. But to each their own.

timklucinec

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Guys,
Yes, this is a slippery slope and should be an exception to the rule. Posey has been playing since 2009 in the MLB. He opted out of the 2020 Season because of Covid-19. I don't have a problem with adding an addendum to the rules. I believe it is warranted. We can put it to a vote. On another note, Mercedes is a prospect according to our rules. He wasn't issued a card by SOM..

Tim K

The Turtle

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:23 pm

timklucinec wrote:Guys,
Yes, this is a slippery slope and should be an exception to the rule. Posey has been playing since 2009 in the MLB. He opted out of the 2020 Season because of Covid-19. I don't have a problem with adding an addendum to the rules. I believe it is warranted. We can put it to a vote. On another note, Mercedes is a prospect according to our rules. He wasn't issued a card by SOM..

Tim K

To me a guy like Posey should be in the supplemental draft. I propose we change the prospect rules (for next year --since this one already started --when there might not be as many conflicts, but you never know)

1: Prospect to say NEVER HAS BEEN CARDED.

2. Change the supplemental draft to any player with MLB experience. (and not just carded players)

This would meet Dave's criteria of giving every player a chance to be drafted and give each draft a slightly different purpose/flavor.

lakeviewdave

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm

The Turtle wrote:

Tim K

To me a guy like Posey should be in the supplemental draft. I propose we change the prospect rules (for next year --since this one already started --when there might not be as many conflicts, but you never know)

1: Prospect to say NEVER HAS BEEN CARDED.

2. Change the supplemental draft to any player with MLB experience. (and not just carded players)

This would meet Dave's criteria of giving every player a chance to be drafted and give each draft a slightly different purpose/flavor.

No one right way to go about this, and many solutions as well. FA/Supp could be anyone with MLB regular season experience, and prospects are owned by MLB but never have appeared in a MLB regular season game, seems to be a popular one, this way Posey could have been drafted in FA or Supp draft. No preference to me if its going to change/voted on, but I think the biggest concern I had was trying to change it in the middle of the prospect draft that is nearing end of 1st round.

What is proposed above is fine as well, a little different wrinkle on things, but that isn't a bad thing. For 2022 probably would be best I would think for new/modified rules to go into effect once voted on.

The Turtle

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:17 pm

I like the wrinkle of the change to the supplemental draft. Many leagues have eliminated them, I think this would add a bit more to the pool. Granted it would have been more this year than ever, but oh well. Can't change a horse in mid stream

lakeviewdave

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Tim K

Posey is a prospect according to our rules as well. He was not carded this year. While I don't mind a rule change moving forward, but to put in a rule change in the middle of the draft does not make much sense.

drew6013

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 pm

The rules don’t say “card this year”. They say “did not receive a card on the SOM website”. That could mean this current year or any year. I get that it’s unclear but I oppose changing the way we have been playing and suggest a vote.

drew6013

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm

Rule:
4.) Prospects can be promoted to the Major League Roster at any time, PROVIDED there is a Roster Space available. Once promoted, all Prospects lose their Prospect Status, and CANNOT be demoted back to Prospect Status.

Buster Posey was selected in our initial prospect draft. He was promoted to a major league roster. How/why would he be a prospect now?
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat