Collusion League Idea Discussion

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chris.sied@yahoo.com

Collusion League Idea Discussion

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 10:49 am

Here is the idea. Teams get paired up (teams would be from different divisions to minimize the games played against each other) and the goal is then to be the pair with the most combined wins. To do that, you can trade players back and forth as much and as often as you want, alter your lineups and pitchers to help the other team out, throw games against each other if you think that will help you get the most wins in the end, basically you can do whatever it takes to help your pair of teams end up the season with the most wins.

A few more thoughts for discussion

I am thinking that pairs can also trade with other pairs if they wanted to.

I think that a slow live draft would be interesting as it would allow the pair to conspire together on draft picks that would help both teams. This would require lots of patience by all the managers involved as it might take a week to do this.

I am thinking that giving an ~ 5 mil buffer to each of the teams after the draft would give some flexibility for trading. You could not use that buffer to add more expensive players from free agency or to trade with another pair, it would only be to facilitate trades within the pairs.

Should the pairs be random or should people sign up as pairs? That is, do we get 12 managers and then pair them up after signups are complete, or do 2 managers sign up together as a pair? I can see advantages to both.

Does this sound like a good idea or is it the craziest, most unworkable thing to come along here?

The Biomechanical Man

Re: Collusion League Idea Discussion

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Chris,
Before we get too far along and create a league, I suggest we try this out in a current league (perhaps the BOS NL league) to see if it works. I know Koufax pitched a day early in his trade. Perhaps two managers can trade moderate-priced starting pitchers one night to see one more time if this works.

sebtay41

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm

I agree we should try it. I think I suggested that in the Big Dance thread where this started. I thought if we just do it in one of our leagues and take the pitchers that pitched game 3 the night before and trade them. Then go into the Per Game Starting Pitcher and see if it lets him start the next game. I think if it doesn't mark it with that RED alert thing, then it will let it go through.
Then we could trade it back before that night's game. Or we can let them pitch.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I guess I am actually thinking beyond just trading the SP* guys back and forth. I played in a league where we had a strict salary structure but unlimited cap. In the end, I used 70 different hitters and 45 pitchers to make my matchups work every night. I am not saying unlimited cap, but I am just saying a league where two managers can tinker with their teams every night to make the best matchups possible.

I disagree on testing this in a real league unless you do the trade and then trade right back. That would be actual collusion and would potentially affect standings if you let them pitch, plus it would be (at least in my mind) taking unfair advantage of a glitch in the system.

It would definitely take managers who had the ability to get in and mess with their teams pretty much every day. Its a commitment and I know not everyone can do that.

I am nowhere near making a league. This is going to take some serious planning and I dont want to get into it and realize I completely overlooked some critical component.

PETERLE

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 5:44 pm

As long as keepers are not traded we can try in NL only. Since my team is bad, willing to partner with someone to try.

Pesky Fan

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 6:55 pm

I would strongly oppose experimenting in a started league...especially NL Big Dance...it could effect final standings and playoff slots...Henry

tdkearns

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Love the idea ! Who will dance with me though? :lol:

Pesky Fan

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 pm

even if the trades were reversed before the players played...it would still effect money... too much work went into the Big Dance and the BOS is so heavily invested in this league, that it should not be used as a lab to experiment on an admittedly half baked concept...Henry

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 7:22 am

I agree with Henry. I think he gives this idea too much credit as half baked. I would say 1/4. Maybe an 1/8

The amount of work that went into preparing that league is way more than any benefit you would get from 1 time swapping pitchers so you could (maybe) steal an extra start. And if it did affect standings at the end of the season, whomever got screwed over by this experiment would have every right to howl with fury at it.

sebtay41

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 11:11 am

So based on reading all of the different threads and emails on this it seems like we have two distinct ideas here:
1. Only the SP* pitcher can be switched. This came about based on that Koufax thing. For this we would have to somehow determine if it really does work the way it seemed to with Koufax. One question: Does in-season trade cost money, like releasing a free agent. I don't think I've ever made an in-season trade, so I don't know.

2. Chris S. seems to have been thinking about a collusion league for a long time. In this league everything can be traded back and forth between the colluding team. This requires NO pre-testing. As Peter mentioned this would require managers to have an almost daily altering of their line-ups and rotations. So any 12 people that join would have to be prepared for this and willing to put a lot more work in that league than any normal league. It wouldn't necessarily be complicated as we would be using a normal SOM player set, it's just would be work. But anyone that joins should be aware of that up-front and not join, if they are not prepared for it or don't have the time.

Is this an accurate summary?
Next

Return to Individual League Chat