Dual Franchise League Season 37

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Toine

Dual Franchise League Season 37

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 4:37 pm

This will be the 37th season of the dual Franchise League. We will be using the ATG 1901 + card set. Only players who have cards from 1946 to the present are eligible. Salary cap will be 145 million, using a DH, 5% player drop and no waivers. Also, we will stick with the same format as this past season where there is no designation of either original or expansion teams; you may pick any 2 teams on the board.
Both Musial and HARMONK are not returning this season, but I believe we already have the 2 spots filled.
We will start the draft on Monday the 20th......Treyomo who is picking 8th has informed me he won't be available to pick until Wednesday the 23rd.....so if we start Monday and are patient he can jump in then.

After listening to several players about some rule changes which should be both fair and fun, as well as a little different, we are going to make a couple of changes, nothing too radical however. I will explain in the posts below.

Toine

Re: Dual Franchise League Season 37

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 5:17 pm

For the future a handful of players will be reassigned to other franchises where they are not the highest salaried card or if they only have one card they are moved to a team they once played for. I originally had more than a dozen players but decided to keep it small for simplicity.

The list is as follows:

ARod to Texas

Greinke to Royals

Murcer to Cubs

Ramon Martinez to Pirates

Vizquel to Mariners

JJ Hardy to Twins

Zack Cozart to Angels

Obviously the 2 major changes here are ARod and Greinke, but both the Yankees and Dodgers are overflowing with talent and the switch will help both the KC and Texas franchises immensely. Murcer has been seldom used and is a good fit for the Cubs; ditto for Ramon who would give the Pirates at least 1 starting pitcher.
The remaining three are all shortstops who are buried behind better players and just might help their teams as a low cost option.
If any of these players are not on a roster once the season begins they are eligible to be picked up by their original highest salaried team.

Toine

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 8:14 pm

Okay 2nd change ....some managers feel we should have as many quality players in the league as possible, so with that in mind; starting this season if a franchise does not get picked then any player on those franchises that has only one card is eligible to be picked up as a free agent. Each team can have one free agent from the teams not chosen.

As an example; last season the Royals, Twins, Angels, DBacks and Padres were not chosen. Therefore players such as Brett, Trout, Mauer, Goldscmidt,Gwynn, among others could be chosen as a free agent. Players like Grich and Winfield would not be eligible because they have a second card with other franchises.

Once the team draft is completed I will list the teams not chosen ; if you wish to claim a player from one of these franchises simply put him on your draft roster ( I would rank said player at the top of my list to maximize my chances of getting the player) and let Strat choose who lands said player.

Remember only one free agent per team.....and also as in past seasons each team can make one trade( multi player trades are okay).

Toine

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 pm

Team list for season 37

And a reminder about player reassignment;

ARod- Rangers
Greinke- Royals
Murcer-Cubs
Ramon Martinez--Pirates
Vizquel--Mariners
JJ Hardy--Twins
Cozart--Angels

Reds-------- Yankees-------- Giants

Braves-------- Indians------- Cardinals

Redsox----------- Dodgers------- Cubs

Tigers--------- Whitesox--------------- Phillies

Astros----------- Expos---------------- Mets

Mariners--------- Royals-------------- Twins

Oriole's------ Pirates-------------- Blue jays

Marlins-------- Rockies---------------- Brewers

Angels------ DBacks/ Padres--------- Rangers/Drays

Denorien

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 pm

Toine wrote:Okay 2nd change ....some managers feel we should have as many quality players in the league as possible, so with that in mind; starting this season if a franchise does not get picked then any player on those franchises that has only one card is eligible to be picked up as a free agent. Each team can have one free agent from the teams not chosen.

As an example; last season the Royals, Twins, Angels, DBacks and Padres were not chosen. Therefore players such as Brett, Trout, Mauer, Goldscmidt,Gwynn, among others could be chosen as a free agent. Players like Grich and Winfield would not be eligible because they have a second card with other franchises.

Once the team draft is completed I will list the teams not chosen ; if you wish to claim a player from one of these franchises simply put him on your draft roster ( I would rank said player at the top of my list to maximize my chances of getting the player) and let Strat choose who lands said player.

Remember only one free agent per team.....and also as in past seasons each team can make one trade( multi player trades are okay).

Question: If a player with cards on more than one franchise happens to still be 'out of the league' because none of his franchises were selected by us managers, we he be available as a free agent? I do not know how likely this is, so, it could be a worthless question.

Toine

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 am

To Denorian; if I understand your question; I would rule as in the past once the first game is played if their is an eligible player, you could pick him up after the first game is played. Taking Winfield as an example in last season's scenario; the Padres did not get chosen but the Yankees did. Because he has a card with both teams he can not get picked up preseason as a free agent; however once the first game is played he could be claimed off the free agent wire.
Remember, this is only for free agents on undrafted teams.

pacoboy

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 am

I don’t recall taking votes on new rules. What I mean is there was never an open discussion. If people sent you private messages, I’d understand but we had this change before where you moved players off franchises and it sucked. ….and both times it was when I was picking towards the top. ( coincidence I’ll admit )

Rule changes should be made a season in advance or at least midway out and not after the draft order is determined. At least major ones.

Ps…..when can I get a rule implemented? I’ve been asking since the beginning of this series to A) do away with the HIGH CARD rule JUST ONE SEASON to try it and/or B) pick a ballpark from either of your franchises. Each time it’s not even a discussion. Shot down like a bird from the sky.

Whatever

pacoboy

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 am

Oh, and one more.

This one is make or break for me. I can live with the current changes but you need to eliminate that rule where you must make your trade thru the system. It makes in-season trades virtually impossible. If not, get ride of trades all together. Already lost my major trade baits anyway after DED takes the Giants.

piloneus382

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 am

Toine wrote:To Denorian; if I understand your question; I would rule as in the past once the first game is played if their is an eligible player, you could pick him up after the first game is played. Taking Winfield as an example in last season's scenario; the Padres did not get chosen but the Yankees did. Because he has a card with both teams he can not get picked up preseason as a free agent; however once the first game is played he could be claimed off the free agent wire.

I think his question is if neither of a players teams get chosen. ex. Is Bobby Grich Considered a FA if both the Orioles and Angels do not get picked?

Denorien

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 11:32 am

piloneus382 wrote:
Toine wrote:To Denorian; if I understand your question; I would rule as in the past once the first game is played if their is an eligible player, you could pick him up after the first game is played. Taking Winfield as an example in last season's scenario; the Padres did not get chosen but the Yankees did. Because he has a card with both teams he can not get picked up preseason as a free agent; however once the first game is played he could be claimed off the free agent wire.

I think his question is if neither of a players teams get chosen. ex. Is Bobby Grich Considered a FA if both the Orioles and Angels do not get picked?

Piloneus has it. Grich is a better example than Winfield because the Yanks will always get picked. Nevertheless, I think It has been mostly answered. There are probably only a few players for who this matters. Grich is one of them IF neither Angels nor Orioles were picked. Eg, Yes, Grich would be an eligible FA if none of his (carded) teams were picked.
Next

Return to Individual League Chat