NLD 58 Papelbon Closes 2021

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Re: NLD 58 Papelbon Closes 2021

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 am

The timing of those injuries was ...... less than optimal to be sure.

joethejet

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 2:27 am

Well, that was an interesting two games.

First the bad news, we lost Mullins until game 7 and my primary backup player McMahon till game 6.

Now the good news, we got up 6-0 in game one and held on to win 6-4.. And we scored two in the bottom of the 8th to win game two 2-1.

Now the Weird news.

Both teams BPHR (13-7)
Game 1 - 0 for six with JTJ going 0-4 (two solo, a 2 run and a 3 run) and Miller going 0-2 (a 3 run and a granny missed)
All but one was 1-7. We missed the only 1-13
Game 2 - 0 -1. JTJ missed a 2 runner

So both teams went 0 for 7 on bphrs. Weird.

BPSI (13-10)
Game 1 - None rolled
Game 2 - 2-6. JTJ 0-2 with runners at first or second, and third to end innings. Miller 2-4, one scored the other extended the inning so the next bpsi could be missed and end the inning.

Three runners were thrown out at the plate in game two. Two out for JTJ and one out for MIller.

We move to his place next so this series is far from over. Especially as we're down our LFer and his primary backup.

joethejet

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 am

Got completely destroyed in game one and then came back for a win in game two with some breaks.

the first one was over in the first inning as Milleram posted a 10 spot. Fast forwarded through that game. ZZZZZZZ

Game two, fell behind 4-1 and 5-2 before scoring 5 unanswered runs. Hatch game me three strong innings in relief of Carrasco and Hahn finished the last 1 1/3, but not before putting the tying run aboard in the bottom of the 9th with one out. He got Huff on a fly off of Hahn's card and Bogaerts on a popup on a 2-8.

I liked our match up in game one and not in game 2. Shows how much I know. Of course, it wasn't like Carrasco was great I suppose. More just lucky we got to Sleggers for 3 runs.

Still need one more.

Meanwhile, toshiro sweeps Stoney. Didn't see that coming. Figured it would be a good series. Then again, Stones has been streaky all season I guess he hit another bad streak. :(

Stoney18

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Definitely a streaky team. Wrong time for the losing streak but Toshiro has a really good team.

joethejet

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 1:54 am

Yeah, you're right. toshiro is tough.

So is Milleram. Got 3 HRs tonight off of Giolito (8 earned runs). Nimmo and Salvy hit HRs and drove in 3. That's the game right there.

He lost Huff for the rest of the series so that *should* be a benefit to us, but usually the replacements kill me so I'm not counting on it. :(

At least we're going back to our park and we get McMahon back for game six.

joethejet

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 1:45 am

Well, got kind of screwed by Hal tonight. For some reason he brought in Richards instead of Matzek to face Brantley and Arauz in a tie game in the 7th. WTF? Instead of a walk and a single you would hae had a 1bx and then a 2bx. We'll take our chances. No idea why that move was made. Typical Hal brain dead move. Not sure why Hatch wasn't available there.

Got hurt by some die rolls in the deciding 5 run inning. a lfx (1-3) a bphr 1-13 and a bp si 1-10

Well, We've blown our 3-1 lead. Seems like my playoff slump will never end. Got one more chance to advance. I think in the six previous playoff appearances since our last Championship (nld 42) we've advanced out of the first round once, maybe twice. Hoping to get some breaks in game 7.

Yarbrough for him, Gray for me. He shelled Gray last time. He didn't get out of the first. Hoping he can pitch better this time. Get Mullins back but, of course, we're facing a LHSP so not sure how big a difference that'll make.

Ugh

joethejet

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 1:57 am

Unfriggin' believable game 7. If you have a minute take a peek: https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/456944/985

16 inning classic that, after he retired 20 :!: :shock: in a row in the 9th and beyond we finally get a runner on in the 16th on an error by Bogaerts and managed to bring him home. Schoop doubled him to third off of Bard's card and Tatis singled him home.

Gray actually retired a runner this time going 4.2 before Hatch came on with a 4-1 lead with the bases loaded and got Perez out on a 1bx. We got lucky with a pair of 1-7 bphrs to take the lead 2-0 and then 4-1. We had a 3b and a sac fly for the fourth run.

An error by Grisham allowed Miller to tie the game in the 7th and Hahn had to two get two outs with runners at 2nd and third to keep it tied.

We had a chance in the 8th with runners at 2 and 3 before D'arnaud lined into a DP. Then he got a runner gunned at the plate after a one out triple on a 2bx (Schoop 2e4).

Starting with 1 out in the 9th, after a single by Grisham we went stone cold. 20 straight batters were retired.

He wasn't doing much better getting a two out walk in the 12th and a leadoff walk and a walk in the 13th when Cole Tucker (2 (20-6)) got thrown out stealing. Weird that.

In the 14th it looked bad with all my good pitchers gone and Rasmussen in, he got runners at 1 and 3 before Arenado grounded out on his own card to end it.

In the 16th he had runners on 1 and 2 with Salvy up, but Tatis got the out on a SSx.

Finally we scored in the 16th and described above. As you might imagine, he left 15 on to our 9.

We definitely got the breaks to win this one. Two 1-7 HRs and an error on an e16 to start the winning rally. Oh and Huff being out with an injury. Valaika his replacement went 0-4 with a pair of walks.

Actually this is the fourth time to the Finals out of the 7 playoff appearances. Hoping to get my first ring since 2016! Gonna be tough to beat toshiro. It will be a completely different series with all his LHSP. We both have LH parks so that will be interesting for sure.

Crazy series Milleram as that game rolled on and on, I figured it was just a matter of time before you pulled it out especially when Rasmussen game in. Lucky for us you have a mostly RH lineup. By all the stats, you should have won the series.

joethejet

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 am

How not to beat Ryu. Roll EVERY SINGLE roll on his card. Literally, in the first 4 1/3 not one on our cards. 14 straight on Ryu's card. We managed a walk out of those rolls. Through six it was 17 of 19. We finally rolled three on our card and broke the no-no in the 7th (but hit into a DP) And then finished the game with 5 of 6 on the pitcher's cards. So, to sum that up, that's 22 of 28 on the pitcher's cards for the game. Not a wonder that we got one hit and one walk and he only faced 28 batters. On the positive side for us, it could have been much worse than 3-0 as he missed 3 1-13 bphrs.

Second game was 17 for 31 in our favor and it was enough for us to eke out a win. Both teams hit into killer DPs. Seager 2 for us and he hit into three.

Series tied and now switches to Angel Stadium. It's pretty interesting facing all LHSPs.

joethejet

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 4:58 am

ugh, won one, but lost one on some bad breaks, a single on my 2b who's a 2e4 and on my pitcher who's a 3e0. :(

Oh well, three game series now. 2 in my place. BUT we have to face Ryu again. Coungint the playoffs, we're 1-3 against him. :( Of course, he faced Gray in three of those games and we'll be throwing Giolito. Our O has gone silent, pretty much, after leading the league in Runs Scored. Hoping that we can break loose in these last 2 or three games.

toshiro

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 11:00 pm

Bringin Ryu tonight!

Good luck & happy thxgiving everyone!
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat