D2D Prospect Draft

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

seanreflex

Re: D2D Prospect Draft

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm

I agree with Turtle and Eddie E.

I would like the supplemental draft eliminated, and would like the prospect draft reduced to at least 3 rounds, and preferably 2 rounds.

My team has been bad since I joined the league 3 years ago (and has some promise of getting better next year), so I benefit from the supplemental draft, but I do think it dilutes the FA draft too much. The top teams that pick in the 20-24 spot have very slim pickings.

What is the process to put these two issues to a formal vote for a rule change?

FALCON29

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:32 pm

The Turtle wrote:Outside of whomever is picked in the MLB draft there aren’t even any top 100 prospects in our drafts anymore. If you pick like sixth or seventh you probably won’t get a top 100 next year.
seanreflex wrote:I agree with Turtle and Eddie E.

I would like the supplemental draft eliminated, and would like the prospect draft reduced to at least 3 rounds, and preferably 2 rounds.

My team has been bad since I joined the league 3 years ago (and has some promise of getting better next year), so I benefit from the supplemental draft, but I do think it dilutes the FA draft too much. The top teams that pick in the 20-24 spot have very slim pickings...

I find that if you're picking top prospects out of A-ball or Rookie leagues, they won't usually come to fruition in the Major Leagues to the point where they can help you in this league before their 2-year window runs out. Instead I look at guys who are closer to the Majors, or in the case this year because of our late start, I picked players who are currently in the Major Leagues in 2021 but never played before. To me there's a better chance that they'll be of some use to me by the time I have to promote them or cut them. I've got a list of another 7 or 8 guys I could've picked if we'd had more rounds.

My point is, while I understand where you're coming from, there are 2 sides to every story. If you don't want to pick for 4 rounds of a Prospect draft, then just don't pick. Same for the Supplemental Draft; nobody's forcing you to participate. Just don't.

Sean, did you load your team yet? You're the last one.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:40 pm

anybody is free to make a rules amendment or new rule and submit it to me for a vote. must pass 2/3 to become a rule.

seanreflex

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 2:19 pm

Falcon you're right, there are two (or more) sides to every idea or thought. I respect where you're coming from too.

Paul, I'll give this more thought and consideration; I may send something to you.

You're a great commish, and this league is a lot of fun, with or without any minor tweaks to the rules. Appreciate you!

The Turtle

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 2:28 pm

FALCON29 wrote:
The Turtle wrote:Outside of whomever is picked in the MLB draft there aren’t even any top 100 prospects in our drafts anymore. If you pick like sixth or seventh you probably won’t get a top 100 next year.
seanreflex wrote:I agree with Turtle and Eddie E.

My team has been bad since I joined the league 3 years ago (and has some promise of getting better next year), so I benefit from the supplemental draft, but I do think it dilutes the FA draft too much. The top teams that pick in the 20-24 spot have very slim pickings...

I find that if you're picking top prospects out of A-ball or Rookie leagues, they won't usually come to fruition in the Major Leagues to the point where they can help you in this league before their 2-year window runs out. Instead I look at guys who are closer to the Majors, or in the case this year because of our late start, I picked players who are currently in the Major Leagues in 2021 but never played before. To me there's a better chance that they'll be of some use to me by the time I have to promote them or cut them. I've got a list of another 7 or 8 guys I could've picked if we'd had more rounds.

My point is, while I understand where you're coming from, there are 2 sides to every story. If you don't want to pick for 4 rounds of a Prospect draft, then just don't pick. Same for the Supplemental Draft; nobody's forcing you to participate. Just don't.

Sean, did you load your team yet? You're the last one.

None of those guys will really help turn around a team. You need top-level prospects to do that. Wander Francos. That's the point of the prospect draft. Even the Akil Baddoo's of the world tend to peter out (he is 0 of his last 11). Having to take prospect No.103 with the No. 8 pick just is not helping anyone rebuild. We really need to let the prospects reload a bit to make the top of draft worth more (this is my real problem with it, not the number of prospects selected). So, I will be proposing a rule change if Sean doesn't beat me to it.

The Turtle

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Round 4
Dr Publix - Mark Vientos 3B NYM
mlbphan - Maikol Hernandez SS BAL
Stoney18 - Hunter Brown SP HOU
baseballcfo - Ryan Vilade OF COL
heekin65 - Knack Landon SP LAD
Paul J Kiggins : OF Ronnie Dawson HOU
Buzz - Alexander Vargas as NYY
Oldmansmith - Jake Brentz RP KC
WJS6768 - Andy Pages OF LAD
mlbphan - Dauris Valdez RP CHC
Dr Publix - Gunnar Henderson IF BAL
Falcon - Matt Peacock P AZ
Victor 5-6pm - Pick forfeit
terry101 --Pick forfeit
Ycbill - Luisangel Acuna SS TEX
Dr Publix -Jaylen Palmer IF NYM
Dr Publix - Jacob Amaya SS LAD
seanreflex - NO PICK -
Calbatross Hirokazu Sawamura RP BOS
terry101 skipped, pick when ready--must pick by Wednesday night
fredpaii Estivan Machado SS TOR
victor Skipped, pick when ready--must pick by Wednesday night
fredpaii Adam Kloffenstein SP Tor
Falcon - Chas McCormick OF HOU

Eddie E

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:17 pm

This was my whole point last year when I proposed ending the supplemental draft: The FA draft has become so thin that it really comes down to trading as the best way to rebuild a team. I had the third worst record in 2018 and got Austin Hedges and Jakob Junis with my first two picks. Picking 7th in 2019 I got Seranthony Dominguez and Elvis Andrus with two first round picks. If you look back at recent drafts it gets pretty tough to rebuild through the draft.

Eliminating the Supplemental draft and reducing the Prospect draft to two rounds will absolutely help teams to rebuild faster.

For Turtle and Sean: People have traded future prospect picks so that has to be considered. My thought on the prospect draft was to change it up completely IE The first round of the prospect draft consists of all teams who finished the combined seasons UNDER .500 . The second round consists of all teams. As always in reverse order of finish. Fewer prospects are taken but everyone has a chance to get a pretty good prospect and the bad teams can get two good prospects.

As for traded picks in 2022 and 2023, we could tack them onto the end of the round IE if a third or fourth rd prospect pick you get tacked onto the end of the second rd. Traded first rd pick of a team that doesnt qualify for the first rd then gets tacked onto the end of the first rd.

dc irish

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Did I hear absolutely no one asking for my opinion? Thought so, so here it comes:

Supplemental draft: Fine with ending that starting next year. I've changed my thoughts on this from the past. Things do evolve.

Prospect draft: Agree with FALCON and would be against changing our format. Some thoughts behind:

1) This is my only keeper league with 4 rounds of prospect drafting. Therefore it makes this league unique. Unique equals cool!!! You wouldn't jump off a bridge just because all the other kids are doing it!

2) Some of the problems presented would be better dealt with by adding years to the allowance of how long someone can be on the prospect roster. High School prospects are tougher to roster due to the 2 year limit, and maybe that would appease some of the problems from the Turtle camp on this.

3) The Fourth round is still a gold mine of talent to those who do the work. I'm against any rule that punishes owners who are doing the legwork on research to benefit those who do not. Just going through the past 3 years of our 4th round prospect drafts, the following players were picked:

Jaren Duran
Grayson Rodriquez
Marco Luciano
Cal Quantril
Brice Turang
Logan Gilbert
Tony Gonsolin
Nick Anderson
Brandon Marsh
Evan White

So that's 10 picks out of 72, so the above represents 14% of all fourth round picks, with the results including solid players, top 100 prospects, top 25 prospects, 7 million carded SP's, and top RP options. That's not bad for a "useless and not necessary" round.

4) There will be some natural correction next year as we adjust back to the standard prospect roster limits. This year essentially allowed no cuts or choices on who to send back to the prospect pool. Next year owners are going to have to make some cuts and send guys back into the pool.

My unwanted opinions, here to share anytime :)

The Turtle

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 4:56 pm

3) The Fourth round is still a gold mine of talent to those who do the work. I'm against any rule that punishes owners who are doing the legwork on research to benefit those who do not. Just going through the past 3 years of our 4th round prospect drafts, the following players were picked:

Jaren Duran
Grayson Rodriquez
Marco Luciano
Cal Quantril
Brice Turang
Logan Gilbert
Tony Gonsolin
Nick Anderson
Brandon Marsh
Evan White

It is NOT about what is available in the fourth round. It is what is available in the first round for rebuilding teams. Almost all of those guys would have gone at the top of Round 1 in the next year's draft and really helped the rebuilding teams. And legwork is not that hard. You hit MLB.com's top 100 list and then sort it by team after you get out of the top 100. I'd rather help the teams that need to rebuild. Next year's draft won't have 10 top 100 prospects in it (and maybe not even 5). And after the top 100, legwork or not, a lot of it comes down to luck.

But we can vote on it and see how it goes. And yes, this is one of the few with 4 rounds. Heck some 12 team leagues don't have 4 rounds. For 12-team leagues I do like a 4 round draft. Here I think three is more than enough. In the Let's Play 2 League, you only have to promote a prospect once they have a card, but are limited to 10 prospects (and that still might be too high). It is only a 2-round draft, though.

Eliminating the supplemental draft (or making it for only teams who miss the playoffs) could help the draft pool as well.
Last edited by The Turtle on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 pm

all valid arguments. send me a rule/amendment to vote on. I'd send separate ones for each idea.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat