D2D Prospect Draft

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: D2D Prospect Draft

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 5:13 pm

I want all four rounds of prospects. I really enjoy drafting later round prospects. I agree very much with Falcon when he says you don't have to pick if your turn comes up...or better yet, trade the damn pick to me! I'll make gold of it! I also want the Supplemental draft. Maybe one player less on the Supp draft. But that's it.

calbatross

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Lots of good comments today. Of course, it compelled me to weigh in with my two cents.

Supplemental Draft - Some say it thins out the FA draft, but I say it gives the bad teams a chance to get a head start on improvement. With a Supplemental Draft, a struggling team gets the best opportunity to pick up players with potential for strong cards in the following season. If you prefer not to participate in the Supplemental Draft and take advantage of the opportunity it presents, that's your loss. That said, I'd have no problem with reducing it to 2 rounds, or even 1 round. Or limit the Supplemental Draft to carded players only. It still serves a non-speculative purpose.

The FA pool is naturally thin in 24 team leagues. The leagues are designed to force us deeper into the player pool. In fact, in this particular league (compared to other 24 team leagues I am in), the FA draft pool is stronger because more teams are using up 20-man roster spots to save prospects that they would otherwise be forced to cut due to the 2-season rule. The FA pool next year will also be stronger because we won't have SOM teams keeping extra players due to COVID. And don't forget we only had a 60 game MLB season last year. There will be more players accumulating card-worthy stats due to a return to a longer MLB season.

If we are going to draft so deeply into prospects, then I think we need to either allow teams to keep prospects as prospects longer or reduce the number of prospect rounds. It makes little sense, with a 2 year limit, to draft any player that won't make the majors for 4 or 5 years. Like Falcon, I am looking at the MLB Debuts page on Baseball-Reference for players to round out rounds 3 and 4.

We all knew this season would kind of suck. The prospect pool (or at least the rankings lists) will definitely display more new blood next year since we will actually have minor leagues playing games this year. As long as we continue to not allow drafting unsigned players, there will be a solid influx of new, good prospects in a normal year. I'd rather not change anything, but would be more open to changes to the Prospect management (allow to keep them longer and get back to a lower number of prospect keepers allowed).

paul j kiggins

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 7:48 pm

i would like to see prospects on my team for 5 years.2 in my opinion is to low...very low My team sucks so i like the Supplemental Draft to build my team quicker if there are players available and i agree 2 rounds would be enough.

Roscodog

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 pm

My only comment is that any rules changes to the prospects should not take place until 2023
Previous

Return to Individual League Chat