TSL Keeper League- Chat, News, Trades

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

unctarheel

Compensation question

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Rather than use a top 100 list that is not directly comparable to the Stratomatic format to determine compensation, why not use the actual Stratomatic salary of the player that a team has lost to the opposite league for the season in question? Not trying to start a revolution, just genuinely interested in hearing the pros and cons of the debate since I am still relatively new to keeper leagues.

dc irish

Re: Compensation question

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:38 pm

unctarheel wrote:Rather than use a top 100 list that is not directly comparable to the Stratomatic format to determine compensation, why not use the actual Stratomatic salary of the player that a team has lost to the opposite league for the season in question? Not trying to start a revolution, just genuinely interested in hearing the pros and cons of the debate since I am still relatively new to keeper leagues.

I don't hate the concept but one problem might be (especially with Unleashed sets which we play with) you run into non-top 100 players who might have a $10 million card??? Just a potential hiccup, maybe I'm off, not sure...

seanreflex

Re: Compensation question

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 9:49 pm

dc irish wrote:
unctarheel wrote:Rather than use a top 100 list that is not directly comparable to the Stratomatic format to determine compensation, why not use the actual Stratomatic salary of the player that a team has lost to the opposite league for the season in question? Not trying to start a revolution, just genuinely interested in hearing the pros and cons of the debate since I am still relatively new to keeper leagues.

I don't hate the concept but one problem might be (especially with Unleashed sets which we play with) you run into non-top 100 players who might have a $10 million card??? Just a potential hiccup, maybe I'm off, not sure...

Hey Tarheel, I had asked Terry about this last year when the "TOP 100" list was so late coming out, and his reasoning for not wanting to do the compensation based on Strat salaries was partially what DC suggests above - that Strat QUITE OFTEN doesn't get the salaries to appropriately reflect the player's true value. Frank Schwindel is a classic example. Marcus Semien arguably too. I think the "TOP 100" takes into account more than just 1 season's performance. Hopefully Terry can weigh in here and give you even more logic -- I don't remember everything he told me, but I do remember it all made sense. I have a GREAT memory, it's just rather short .... :?

unctarheel

Re: TSL Keeper League- Chat, News, Trades

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 2:20 am

I appreciate you guys taking the time to walk me through pros and cons. I realize that no compensation plan will ever be perfect and that your collective experience greatly exceeds my own. I do like the league format. Having a blended roster in the third season gave me the chance to take two mediocre squads and meld them into a more competitive one.

Terry101

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm

Looks like we all forgot that we changed the compensation rule to do exactly what unctarheel suggests. And we used this method for our drafts this year. Sean was the the one who first suggested using Strat salaries. Here is the post from March 18th of this year:

Re: TSL Keeper League- Chat, Updates, Trades
PostFri Mar 18, 2022 2:34 pm

We can no longer wait for MLB Network’s top 100 players or ESPN’s top 100. They are published too late for our purposes. There are many top 100’s but they cater to fantasy and is not correlated completely with Strat. Sean suggested using Strat salaries and this is what I developed. It is what we will be using from now on. It has many advantages over the MLB network top 100: It is more currently relevant; it is immediate and everyone see the compensation picks for their team as soon as the salaries come out.

SPECIAL RULES CONCERNING COMPENSATION PICKS

Compensation picks apply when a team loses a player to the opposite league that player is ranked in the top 120 MLB players according to Strat salary rankings. The MLB network and ESPN 100 rankings used 75 hitters and 25 pitchers; we will use the same percentages, but extend the total to 120 using the following method:

First Round Compensation Picks go to: (1) the top 30 salaried hitters and (2) the top 15 salaried starting pitchers.

Second Round Compensation Picks go to: (1) hitters salaried rankings 31-60; (2) starting pitchers salaried rankings 16-25. (3) relief pitchers ranked 1-5.

Third Round Compensation Picks go to: (1) hitters salaried rankings 61-90.
If a team should lose more than one player in the top 120, they would also get a “b” pick in the corresponding round.

A lost player beyond the 120th ranking gets a 5th round compensation pick ONLY if it is the team’s only compensation pick and the lost player's value in over 1.5 million. I In other words, if the team has taken advantage of an earlier compensation pick, they may NOT use the 5th round option. In addition, only one 5th round pick allowed.

The compensation picks will probably not make up for the loss (knowing that the free agent market will likely be thin)- it still keeps the team from being at a mild to severe disadvantage and it will help at not losing owners due to getting their team decimated.

2022 Compensation picks:
First round: none
Second round: Waynick- pick 10a Charlie Morton- #14 (6.38) Fredpaii-pick 11a W. Adames #35 (7.28)
Third round: Waynick- pick 10a CJ Cron 6.04
Fifth round: Evanthomas (Villar-1.74), Mesacat (T.Estrada-4.73), Joker (T. Walker-3.50),unctarheel (NRamirez- 4.33), Seanreflex (L. Cessa-2.88), Terry101 (Gibson 5.00)

seanreflex

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 3:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I TOLD you I had a great memory but it was really short!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Terry. I knew I had suggested it, and at first if I recall, you didn't want to use salaries - but as weeks went by with no TOP 100 list, you must have devised the scheme that we actually adopted.

I think your system is sound, Terry, and it is instant -- we don't need to wait for a list to come out.

seanreflex

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 3:29 pm

Terry, I added the new compensation rules to the "RULES" tab on the league page.

Terry101

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:01 pm

seanreflex wrote:Terry, I added the new compensation rules to the "RULES" tab on the league page.

Great- Thanks- that will help

bigmahon

Re: TSL Keeper League- Combined AL/NL League Check-in

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 11:24 am

bigmahon wrote:Guys, I'm here for this but will not be joining again next year. I have too many keeper leagues, and my heart just isn't in this format.

My rosters aren't great, but hopefully a replacement is enticed by Aaron Judge's card next year (!!) and some good prospects.

Thanks Terry and Sean for all the hard work!

Hi all. I've just seen a message from Sean. I posted the above in September. Good luck to all in this keeper moving forward.

Thanks,
Chris

Terry101

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Well, we'll miss you Chris
Thanks for confirming -- yes, the Judge card might help get a replacement
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat