klx22 - IN
WJS6768 - IN
splinter - IN
chilliards - In

Palmtana

Re: GMKL Chat/Trades

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 pm

re. Baddoo,

3) Only those players without MLB experience and who have been signed by a professional baseball organization are eligible for the prospect draft.

Some leagues have the caveat that MLB experience in the current season doesn't count towards prospect status.
This one doesn't have that provision.

KEVINEHLE

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Palmtana wrote:re. Baddoo,

3) Only those players without MLB experience and who have been signed by a professional baseball organization are eligible for the prospect draft.

Some leagues have the caveat that MLB experience in the current season doesn't count towards prospect status.

This needs to change. This mean Baddoo wasn't eligible for the Spring FA draft or the Prospect draft based on the rules. A player in no-man's land? Makes no sense when we are all trying to build the best possible rosters.

Palmtana

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 am

I like it that league rules aren't all cookie cutter. He'll be available in the Supp. draft.

Jerlins

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 pm

KEVINEHLE wrote:
Palmtana wrote:re. Baddoo,

This needs to change. This mean Baddoo wasn't eligible for the Spring FA draft or the Prospect draft based on the rules. A player in no-man's land? Makes no sense when we are all trying to build the best possible rosters.

I have to agree with Kevin, kind of makes no sense. Some managers trade high end players or FA picks to grab a high prospect pick when rebuilding a team. The rule as it stands makes it dependent on the timing of the draft. If the draft happens to get off to a late start, then it's possible more than a few prospects end up with MLB experience before the prospect draft begins.

If we are to keep the existing rule in effect, why not have the prospect draft prior to the FA draft? Now THAT would be anti cookie cutter.

Jerlins

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:48 pm

One more thing regarding the prospect draft. Let's say the FA draft finished a week earlier, and the prospect draft had begun a week earlier. Had Kiriloff been available, it's quite possible the first 6 or 8 managers would have a chance to select him. It's 7pm on a Monday, and we are waiting for Jerlins to make his 9th pick selection. He too passes on Kiriloff and Kev is up at 8:05. He decides to pick Kiriloff, but wait, at 7:39, Kiriloff has his 1st AB and is now no longer eligible according to the rules. 9 managers pass on him, 3 managers have no chance to pass on him because at 7:39 he was no longer a prospect.

Without researching to its full extent, the above scenario could actually have happened, as Kiriloff came up aprroximately a week before the prospect draft began. It's a rule that is date dependent on the draft itself, therefore, the rule is in constant flux, based on such timing.

mlbphan

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 pm

I agree with Jerry & Kevin on this. This needs (& I propose), to be brought up for a league vote. A prospect’s eligibility (to be drafted as a prospect) should be confined to the carded season we are playing & furthermore based on the regular season, not the postseason. Another option is a prospect’s eligibility (to be drafted as a prospect) is based on MLB’s numeric standard for rookie status regarding AB’s & IP.

Rick
mlbphan

Palmtana

PostSat May 01, 2021 12:41 am

mlbphan wrote:.....This needs (& I propose), to be brought up for a league vote.
Rick
mlbphan

Well, the rule has been the same at least as long as I've been a member (2012). But, if you wish, go ahead and write a new rule and put it to a vote. 8 to pass. Let the league know about it via e-mail since not everyone may be checking the forum.

blsmith7

PostSat May 01, 2021 1:30 am

Bob - I have to respectfully agree with the others posting here. I haven't ever seen your interpretation of the rule and I don't recall it being the rule in any league I (we've) play in. And I don't see where it actually says that in the rules. Maybe it's because our drafts are starting later and it's never really been an issue (though I'm not sure about that). It doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't be able to draft a player who has not appeared in a MLB game prior to the current season. In my interpretation, you can draft any player who has not played prior to this current season and I don't recall ever being told otherwise.

Palmtana

PostSat May 01, 2021 11:35 am

blsmith7 wrote:....It doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't be able to draft a player who has not appeared in a MLB game prior to the current season.....

I agree this makes no sense. That's who prospects are.

blsmith7 wrote:....In my interpretation, you can draft any player who has not played prior to this current season and I don't recall ever being told otherwise.....

I'm being literal in my interpretation of the rule. How could I do otherwise?

The rule doesn't say ....without MLB experience prior to the current season but experience during the current season is allowed.

Perhaps when Ninersphan ran the league there was an understanding that experience in the current season doesn't lead to disqualification for being taken in the Prospect Draft. I don't recall. Do any of you? I'm going by the rule as written.

Before last years Prospect Draft I e-mailed the rule. Here is that draft. This was in July.
No players with in-season experience were taken. That would have been a great time to do so. Why is this year different?

I thought the rule was self-evident but I should have posted all of this earlier so you could see where I was coming from.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat