Paul_Long71

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 pm

oldmansmith,

pm'd ya. need help, please.

oldmansmith2

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Something I can't quite figure out. If you don't offer a player with 3-5 years of service an extension that player goes to arbitration. I've been assuming that you would then be responsible for that player's contract the following season at the arbitrated price. Yet Sec. IX.07 states: CUTTING PLAYERS: Players with under six years of service time can be released during the off-season at any time. Teams are not obligated to the next season’s salary until Opening Day.
So can you cut a player after he has been declared going to arbitration and not be responsible for the salary? Doesn't seem fair to be able to cause you could wait to see how he does in real life in case of a career threatening injury or a terrible season performance wise.

madal

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 pm

I think you have to make a choice: 1) go to arbitration, or 2) cut the guy. Can't do both--at least that's my reading of the rule.

Paul_Long71

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 pm

still interested in trading someone for their 5th round pick.... I'd give you multiple later picks for your pick here. or some such..... let's talk

sociophil

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Something I can't quite figure out. If you don't offer a player with 3-5 years of service an extension that player goes to arbitration. I've been assuming that you would then be responsible for that player's contract the following season at the arbitrated price. Yet Sec. IX.07 states: CUTTING PLAYERS: Players with under six years of service time can be released during the off-season at any time. Teams are not obligated to the next season’s salary until Opening Day.
So can you cut a player after he has been declared going to arbitration and not be responsible for the salary? Doesn't seem fair to be able to cause you could wait to see how he does in real life in case of a career threatening injury or a terrible season performance wise.

oldmansmith

I think you have to make a choice: 1) go to arbitration, or 2) cut the guy. Can't do both--at least that's my reading of the rule.

Madal

Madal is correct. You need to make a decision about extension, arbitration, or cutting a player before the cards are released. I' don't think I put a deadline in the rules for this decision point, and if I didn't I think we need to reach agreement about that date. The rules do say that the free agency period begins on December 1st and ends the second Friday in February, so it would make sense to make Nov. 30th the last day to sign contract extensions, cut players, or declare arbitration. I also just realized that we will be bidding on free agents before cards are released, thus it is possible that we might be signing unleashed players. We may need to discuss this possibility and how to address it.

oldmansmith2

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:16 pm

Ok I was under the impression we had to make these decisions prior to the beginning of the first season. If it's just prior to next year's cards coming out it will make the decision between arbitration or cutting a player easy cause, though you may not have the exact card in front of you, you're going to know how that player did that year. I thought we were drafting these players and playing 2019 from the perspective that all players contracts are at the strat cost and in their final year. As GMs we had to decide what contracts were going to be offered going forward, whether it was extensions,arbitrations or one year and release. If we can wait till next December we will be offering contracts based on the knowledge of how that player did in real life. For example, I just drafted Altuve. Are you saying I can wait till the 2020 real life season is over before I decide to give him a contract extension? That doesn't seem realistic. Or am I just a confused old man? lol

paul j kiggins

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:22 pm

i believe extensions and all contract awards should be done before we know what the cards are....that would take alot of fun out of the league

Paul_Long71

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 pm

agreed. If you sign a guy and he ends up unleashed, that's like him getting a major injury in spring training in real life. rotten luck.

sociophil

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 pm

No. Altuve needs to be offered a contract extension of 5+ years or he becomes a free agent at the end of the year. You can only wait on players that remain under team control next year. If you have a player with 5 or more years of service time you will need to decide on the contract extension offer immediately after the draft. Players with 3-4 years can be extended or you can wait for arbitration. Players with 1-2 years will be resigned at current salary unless it is below the minimum next year. This rule is in Article 1 and it was put in to prevent the kind of waiting you are suggesting.

sociophil

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 pm

i believe extensions and all contract awards should be done before we know what the cards are....that would take alot of fun out of the league

Agreed. That was my intent.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat