Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

oldmansmith2

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:24 pm

sociophil wrote: 1) A free agent that is signed now has their service time start from scratch, their real life service time as reported in Cot's was only used for players taken in the initial draft.
2) A FA signed now will be under the control of the signing team for his first six seasons and will only have to be paid the league minimums unless during the free agent bidding process he ends up getting signed to a contract that exceeds those minimums.

1. Correct. Cots no longer matters.

2. Correct. There are now only three ways a player contract gets determined: (1) the rookie draft, (2) free agent signing, and (3) arbitration.

A player signed during the supplemental FA signing period to a 1 year contract will become a free agent after season 1 in 2021. I hadn’t considered that and now wish there was no Supplemental FA signing!

I don't understand why Paul would lose Keller in 2021. He's becoming part of the 40 man roster for 2019 (pre arb1, cost 500k), 2020 would be his pre arb2 year where he should be able to be renewed at the league minimum of 600k and 2021 would be pre arb3 at 700k. Or are you saying that 2019 isn't when Keller's years of service and paul's 6 years of control over him would begin? The 500,000 that Paul bid on him will go against the 2019 cap correct? He has only 38 players after his 2 drops and has to sign 2 free agents to play this second go round of 2019 does he not?

Paul_Long71

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 pm

i agree that it was to your advantage to do that Paul... I'm just saying it really doesn't need to be in there moving forward (and really didn't need to be to begin with). But since it was in there to begin with, more power to you (and anyone) for utilizing it effectively.

...sorry Paul if I implied to get rid of it now. absolutely not. It was there and people planned for it. But, I think it is unnecessary in future years.
Last edited by Paul_Long71 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:34 pm

I also think anyone signed now (mid-seasons) should count on this season's payroll and count the same as a contract signed prior to our first played season. They are effectively contracted for this year, right? in other words a 1-year contract would only keep them until the end of our second season.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 6:01 pm

i would please like a ruling....if i sign a player for 1 year do i lose him in 2021 or does his service time begin when i sign him and control him for the next 5 yrs...tks

sociophil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:22 pm

i would please like a ruling....if i sign a player for 1 year do i lose him in 2021 or does his service time begin when i sign him and control him for the next 5 yrs...tks

I'm not sure I understand the question. Brad Keller is a free agent now. The COTs years of service are no longer relevant. He is under your control for as long as you sign him.Once that contract expires, he becomes a free agent again.

sociophil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I don't see a reason for us to have a supp draft in this league....maybe we should vote to remove it... Its just another free agency grab but with limited teams bidding on players. Kind of an advantage as not as many people to bid against. also confusing to deal with the 1 yr contract only lasting til after the first season of a year. that's just weird and complicating.

I agree with you. I think after this supplemental draft I will propose that we eliminate the supplemental draft for future seasons. I'm glad we are doing it as it will be a good dry run for the real FA signing period.

sociophil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 pm

i have to disagree with Paul Long....it was to my advantage not to use my up all my salary..if not for FA's but incase of contract extensions.Everyone had the same opportunity .

Good job using the supplemental draft. I didn't save enough cap space to sign any up and comers that were overlooked in the original draft.

it was my understanding and i agree with Oldman Smith that whoever i sign i have control over 6 yrs of service.Why would i sign a FA for year and have a that player go back into FA a yr later.If that is the case than i will revise my bid for 3 years or higher.

All players who were not signed as part of the inaugural draft are now free agents. The 6 year period of control only applied to players chosen in the inaugural draft (based on Cots) and rookies promoted to the major league roster. You control a free agent for the duration of their contract.

Here is the rule in Article X

Section 10.02 FREE AGENT ELIGIBILITY: Unsigned carded players from the previous SOM 365 season, and players with more than 6 years of service time and an expiring contract, are eligible for free agency. In addition, MLB players who were uncarded the previous SOM 365 season, and who had at least 50 at bats or 30 innings pitched during the current MLB season, will be eligible for free agency. [Note, this means that players with no MLB experience prior to the 2020 MLB season, but who are carded in the SOM 2020 season, are still considered prospects and not free agents for the purpose of our annual prospect draft]. If you sign a player and SOM either does not produce a card for that player, or produces an unleashed card, you are still responsible for their contract.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Article IX Contracts
9.01 Player Control Franchise owners control players for six years of service time starting at the time of their promotion to the 40 man roster.

Who does this apply to then? Just prospects that are brought up?
Never mind I just saw that you answered this question. I had taken this to apply to free agents as well.

sociophil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:42 pm

I don't understand why Paul would lose Keller in 2021. He's becoming part of the 40 man roster for 2019 (pre arb1, cost 500k), 2020 would be his pre arb2 year where he should be able to be renewed at the league minimum of 600k and 2021 would be pre arb3 at 700k. Or are you saying that 2019 isn't when Keller's years of service and paul's 6 years of control over him would begin? The 500,000 that Paul bid on him will go against the 2019 cap correct? He has only 38 players after his 2 drops and has to sign 2 free agents to play this second go round of 2019 does he not?

Brad Keller is a free agent. As a free agent, he will be controlled the the duration of his contract. If Paul wants to sign him to a three year contract, it will cost $6 million to do so. The six years of control apply only to players drafted in the inaugural draft (modified based on COTs) and rookies you draft and promote to your major league roster.

The salary cost is applied to this years cap for a one year contract. I should probably prorate is over this year and the first season next year, which is another reason to get rid of the supplemental FA signing period. We don't really need it, and it will become an accounting nightmare for me.

Philip

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 pm

Paul has stated somewhere that if the 6 years control doesn't apply to Keller that he wants to offer the 3 year contract at 2mil per year.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat