teamnasty: no drops
Paul_Long: no drops
Oldmansmith: no drops
Sociophil: no drops
Srh1200: no drops
Mykbr1: dropping Drew Pomerancz
Hveed: no drops
Chilliards: no drops
Last edited by sociophil on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sociophil

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 9:19 pm

The new salary cap rule passes 8-3.

ARTICLE IX

Section 14: Salary Cap Violation Rule: If a team exceeds the salary cap as the result of an unfavorable arbitration decision, the player whose arbitration decision caused the team to go over the cap is considered to be banned for the season for violations of league substance abuse policies. If more than one player is involved in the arbitration process that resulted in the salary cap violation, the team must get under the salary cap by identifying as few arbitration players as possible to get back into compliance. Each of those "Balco" players will be considered banned for the season. Banned players will remain on the team roster, but the team will not be permitted to participate in free agent signing periods or the prospect draft until they get back under the salary cap.

For example, Team A has spent $130 million in salary cap space before arbitration with three players up for arbitration this year. In a stroke of bad luck these three players are awarded $10 mil, $6 mil, and $4 mil. The team would be required to suspend the $10 mil player for the season as this would involve the suspension of the fewest number of players required to bring the team back into compliance with the salary cap.

sociophil: YES (Proposer)
oldmansmith2 -- yes

Paul_Long71 -- no (I think the team should have the option of banning the 2 lesser salaried players or the higher, not automatically the higher)

dharmabums -- yes
paul j kiggins --yes

srh1200 -- no (I agree with Paul Long, I have a great deal of experience in salary cap leagues and this provision is far too restrictive and penalizing. It is good for the game to always have our best players in it whenever possible...IOW,maximum competition. Frankly, I would rather pay a fine if we must be penalized as the arbitration process is out of our control...penalties work best on honor and integrity issues and since we are not likely to have many issues of honor and integrity, penalties should be a rare occurrence...I'm not saying this is a dealbreaker for me, but you will each be pretty PO'd if your prize bull prospect gets banned because someone decided to pay him more than you expected, mostly because it's not realistic)

madal --yes. It was a close one for me, because I get Paul Long's point, but first I want to see if it ever becomes an issue, and then if this is unworkable, I'd be all in with Paul L.

teamnasty -- yes
chilliards --
baseball cfo -- yes

mykbr1 -- no - I agree with Paul Long and srh1200. I think you should be able to choose. also, not a dealbreaker.

hveed -- yes

chilliards

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:01 am

No drops

paul j kiggins

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:29 pm

are we now ready to proceed with FA's and is their going to be a list of available players?

sociophil

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 pm

I have created a new thread for the bidding process. The bidding will begin tomorrow at noon. I have sent an email to the four participants notifying them of the starting time tomorrow.

Philip

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Phil can you confirm or set me straight on how I think these FA's work.
1) A free agent that is signed now has their service time start from scratch, their real life service time as reported in Cot's was only used for players taken in the initial draft.
2) A FA signed now will be under the control of the signing team for his first six seasons and will only have to be paid the league minimums unless during the free agent bidding process he ends up getting signed to a contract that exceeds those minimums.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Using an example from the bids today, it's my belief that if paul j kiggins gets Keller at 500k for 1year, 2019 will be his 1st year of service and paul will control him through 2024. He will have to only pay the minimum of 600k to renew him for 2020, 700k for 2021 and so on. After 2021 he will have the opportunity to extend his contract as per the contract extension rules. It's only after 6 years that, if he has not been offered an extension, he will return to the free agent pool. Is this right?

sociophil

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:10 pm

1) A free agent that is signed now has their service time start from scratch, their real life service time as reported in Cot's was only used for players taken in the initial draft.
2) A FA signed now will be under the control of the signing team for his first six seasons and will only have to be paid the league minimums unless during the free agent bidding process he ends up getting signed to a contract that exceeds those minimums.

1. Correct. Cots no longer matters.

2. Correct. There are now only three ways a player contract gets determined: (1) the rookie draft, (2) free agent signing, and (3) arbitration.

A player signed during the supplemental FA signing period to a 1 year contract will become a free agent after season 1 in 2021. I hadn’t considered that and now wish there was no Supplemental FA signing!

Paul_Long71

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I was going to ask about that. I don't see a reason for us to have a supp draft in this league....maybe we should vote to remove it... Its just another free agency grab but with limited teams bidding on players. Kind of an advantage as not as many people to bid against. also confusing to deal with the 1 yr contract only lasting til after the first season of a year. that's just weird and complicating.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm

i have to disagree with Paul Long....it was to my advantage not to use my up all my salary..if not for FA's but incase of contract extensions.Everyone had the same opportunity .
it was my understanding and i agree with Oldman Smith that whoever i sign i have control over 6 yrs of service.Why would i sign a FA for year and have a that player go back into FA a yr later.If that is the case than i will revise my bid for 3 years or higher .
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat