paul j kiggins

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 3:03 pm

so let me see if i got this right...
Margot, Manuel 4 yrs service......SALARY $2,330,000.00

1:Am i able to offer him : 1 yr @ 3,000,0000
2:1 yr @ 2,330,000
3: 4 yrs @ the top 50% for CF
4: or go to arb and even though his card next year issay 2.5 mil i would have to pay him the leagues mim sal is 3,000,000 but if his sal is 3.8 mil i have to pay 3.8

BUT
2B Adam Frazier another 4 yr player i can resign for 1 yrs at his sal of 3.6 million and not the 5.18 million for the top 50% that i had to sign him at 5.18 million. x 4 yrs. to keep him....
Is this right?

sociophil

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Is this rule saying that players in this category that have salaries under the league minimum are not allowed to be renewed? So if I have a 5yr player at $.01 above minimum he can be renewed at that price but that if I have a 5yr player at $.0 I below he wouldn't be allowed to renew at the minimum?

I never should have started multiple threads. Here is the answer to the question about renewing an arbitration eligible player:

Section 9.06    Any player with an expiring contract that has less than 6 years of service time, but makes more than the salary scale above can be renewed for another year at the same salary. Players with more than 6 years of service time and an expiring contract are eligible for free agency.

Section 9.10    ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to offer a contract extension. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at his major league salary based on service time or the salary established for his SOMO card for the following season, whichever is higher. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

So for arbitration eligible players you can renew at their current price or the major league minimum salary, release them, or take them to arbitration.

sociophil

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:08 pm

so let me see if i got this right...
Margot, Manuel 4 yrs service......SALARY $2,330,000.00

1:Am i able to offer him : 1 yr @ 3,000,0000
2:1 yr @ 2,330,000
3: 4 yrs @ the top 50% for CF
4: or go to arb and even though his card next year issay 2.5 mil i would have to pay him the leagues mim sal is 3,000,000 but if his sal is 3.8 mil i have to pay 3.8

You can release him, offer him a 1 year renewal at $3,000,000, sign him to a four year contract extension at $5,380,000 per year, or take him to arb and end up paying $3,000,000 or more (so why do that?).

2B Adam Frazier another 4 yr player i can resign for 1 yrs at his sal of 3.6 million and not the 5.18 million for the top 50% that i had to sign him at 5.18 million. x 4 yrs. to keep him....
Is this right?

You can renew him at $3,600,000 for one year or extend him for four years at $5,180,000. If you renew him then you can extend him next year but at the top 25% rule.

sociophil

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 pm

BE IT PROPOSED TO CHANGE THE ARBITRATION RULE from:

Section 9.10    ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to offer a contract extension. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at his major league salary based on service time or the salary established for his SOMO card for the following season, whichever is higher. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

to

ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

This change will make arbitration a viable option for team owners by removing the major league minimum salary requirement for arbitration settlements. For example, a player like Jeimer Candelario has a current salary of $610,000 and is entering his arb 1 year where he will have to be paid $2,000,000 next year. The original arbitration rule would not be applicable for Candelario because the team has to pay $2 mil if they win and more than that if they lose. If you want to keep him, you just renew his contract at $2 mil and avoid the risk of arbitration. Under the revised rule, there is a chance his SOM card price will be less than $2 mil. If you gamble on arbitration and win, you would be able to get him at that lower card price.

Owners will then have the following choices for arbitration eligible players:

1. Release the player;
2. Renew the player at his current salary or the major league minimum, which ever is higher;
3. Sign the player to a contract extension;
4. Take the player to arbitration.

If passed, the rule change will take effect immediately.

sociophil: YES (Proposer)
oldmansmith2: YES (Seconder)
Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums --
paul j kiggins --
srh1200 --
madal --
teamnasty --
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbar1 --
hveed --
Last edited by sociophil on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldmansmith2

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:33 pm

I second the proposed rule change.

Paul_Long71

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 am

making sure I get the other side of this. For a high dollar guy, like Kris Bryant or Conforto. You can either pay them their current salary for 1 more year or extend at top25% (not likely) or go to arb3 where you pay next year's SOM price....which could be $2.17 million (for example, if he had a subpar year). It's not 4 million or the card price....the 4 mil is gone. So I could conceivably get Kris Bryant for really low if that's what his SOM card comes in at.

just making sure this is correct?

sociophil

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 am

making sure I get the other side of this. For a high dollar guy, like Kris Bryant or Conforto. You can either pay them their current salary for 1 more year

Yes. This is called re-signing to a one year contract.

or extend at top25% (not likely)

Yes. This is called a contract extension.

or go to arb3 where you pay next year's SOM price....which could be $2.17 million (for example, if he had a subpar year). It's not 4 million or the card price....the 4 mil is gone. So I could conceivably get Kris Bryant for really low if that's what his SOM card comes in at.

just making sure this is correct?

Yes. This is the arbitration change I am recommending. Without the change arbitration will never be used except for this year.
Last edited by sociophil on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

paul j kiggins

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 am

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I have created a league for our inaugural season. I realize we have a few issues to still sort out, but I thought getting a start on the first season might be a nice distraction. Here are the divisions:

EAST
sociophil: in
hveed: in
teamnasty:in
baseball cfo: in

CENTRAL
Paul_Long
Paul J Kiggins: in
srh1200
Madal: in

WEST
oldmansmith2
mykbr1
dharmabums
chilliards

League name is Moneyball 2019 Season 1
PSWD = nutz

paul j kiggins

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 am

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Section 9.10 ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to offer a contract extension. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at his major league salary based on service time or the salary established for his SOMO card for the following season, whichever is higher. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

to

ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

This change will make arbitration a viable option for team owners by removing the major league minimum salary requirement for arbitration settlements. For example, a player like Jeimer Candelario has a current salary of $610,000 and is entering his arb 1 year where he will have to be paid $2,000,000 next year. The original arbitration rule would not be applicable for Candelario because the team has to pay $2 mil if they win and more than that if they lose. If you want to keep him, you just renew his contract at $2 mil and avoid the risk of arbitration. Under the revised rule, there is a chance his SOM card price will be less than $2 mil. If you gamble on arbitration and win, you would be able to get him at that lower card price.

1. Release the player;
2. Renew the player at his current salary or the major league minimum, which ever is higher;

Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums --
paul j kiggins --YES
srh1200 --
madal --
teamnasty --
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbar1 --
hveed --

madal

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Section 9.10 ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to offer a contract extension. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at his major league salary based on service time or the salary established for his SOMO card for the following season, whichever is higher. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

to

1. Release the player;

Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums --
paul j kiggins --YES
srh1200 --
madal -- YES
teamnasty --
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbar1 --
hveed --