Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

paul j kiggins

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 pm

If a player sits out season and is not playing do we still pay the salary for that player?

sociophil

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 10:49 pm

I'm pretty sure he means when it's a GM's turn to bring up a player for bidding. You can't pass. that has to be a rule otherwise you can just pass until people run out of money and then bring up the guys you want for cheap as everyone has capped out or filled rosters. The key is to bring up guys that others will bid on.

Correct. You cannot skip your turn to bid on a player, and there should always be three players being offered at any given time.

If a player sits out season and is not playing do we still pay the salary for that player?

Yes. You are responsible for them for the duration of their contract, even if you cut them.

oldmansmith2

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:03 pm

sociophil wrote:I'm pretty sure he means when it's a GM's turn to bring up a player for bidding. You can't pass. that has to be a rule otherwise you can just pass until people run out of money and then bring up the guys you want for cheap as everyone has capped out or filled rosters. The key is to bring up guys that others will bid on.

Correct. You cannot skip your turn to bid on a player, and there should always be three players being offered at any given time.

Yes. You are responsible for them for the duration of their contract, even if you cut them.

This applies to players opting out because of covid? They're not getting paid in real life and are guaranteed to not have a card for 2020. Are we sure that's the way we want to handle them?

sociophil

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 8:38 am

This applies to players opting out because of covid? They're not getting paid in real life and are guaranteed to not have a card for 2020. Are we sure that's the way we want to handle them?

Yes. Who knows if they’ll even finish the season? Or if SOM will even be able to produce a card set?

madal

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:52 pm

sociophil wrote:So we had some discussion before season 1 about how to manage the bidding process. The rules leave it open and indeterminate. I looked as the proposals in the thread and think that a more orderly signing period and bidding process was proposed. my thoughts on the matter are the following:

1. Free Agent bidding will be conducted in reverse order of finish based on the outcome of season 1.
2. Three free agent players will be bid upon at any given time (i.e. Teams 12, 11, and 10 make bids on three different players creating an active pool of three free agents).
3. Once a team wins a bid on a player, the next team eligible to name a player can add a free agent to the pool by making an offer (teams must make an offer on the player they are naming).
4. Teams without the salary cap or roster space available to make an offer to a free agent will have to pass when it is their turn to offer a free agent contract.
5. The supplemental free agent signing period will end when every team has filled their 40 roster slots, or when no more free agents are offered a contract 24 hours after the last player to be signed.

I should add one more thing,

6. A player is considered to be been signed if no other team makes a better offer within a 24 hour period.

These rules would allow for a manageable number of players being bid upon simultaneously, and establishes a time frame for determining when a player is considered signed. The supplemental free agent signing period provides a good low stakes context for experimenting with free agent bidding procedures.

Philip

I'm willing to give the above FA bidding process a shot.

sociophil

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:09 pm

If there are no objections, then let's check in and start our drops.

Sociophil has no drops.

oldmansmith2

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:17 pm

Oldmansmith has no drops.

Paul_Long71

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Paul Long-- no drops

teamnasty

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:52 am