Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

madal

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm

sociophil wrote:I know this is confusing, and there may be some holes in the rules that will require revision, but here is what we are working with:

Article 1 Section 3: Immediately after the inaugural draft, owning teams are able to, but are not obligated to, sign each eligible draftee to a contract extension as per the CONTRACT RULES established in Article IX below.
(a) Cot’s Baseball contracts will be used for determining a player’s term of service, rounded up, for the purposes of offering contract extensions after the inaugural draft (https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/c ... tion/cots/).
(b) Draftees must have three or more years of service time in order to be eligible for a contract extension.
(c) Contract extensions take effect prior to the start of season 1 and count toward the inaugural salary cap.

You need to make to extend or not to extend draftees with 3 or more years of service time. If the player has 5 or more years of service time he becomes a free agent if you do not extend. If the player has 1-4 years of service time you can choose not to extend and will still exercise control over the player for his remaining years of service.

Article IX. Section 6 Any player with an expiring contract that has less than 6 years of service time, but makes more than the salary scale above can be renewed for another year at the same salary. Players with more than 6 years of service time and an expiring contract are eligible for free agency.

This is the one reference I can find to Section 9.6. I seems like every last one of us blipped right through it.

teamnasty

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Yeah it was always there, and mentioned in the spot you quoted. It was omitted in the later 5th year discussion by Phil, but given the rule complexities, as well as life’s, I don’t blame him . Or rest of us for sleeping on it.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 4:19 pm

it was omitted in ALL of the discussions. we had a bunch of 3-4 year discussions as well. and 1-2 year player discussions and it wasn't mentioned in any. even this post doesn't show how it can be used for 3-4 year guys or 1-2 year guys...it's just listed. before and after that post we had discussions about 3-4 year guys and their options and it was never brought up.

At least you brought it up before everyone had submitted there 2020 info.

I don't see a big use for it with my team this year (other than the 5th year guys but it's not a big deal for them anyway) but I will certainly use it over the next two seasons as I have a lot of 1-2 year guys.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 4:22 pm

in the long run, it's just good that you brought it up now so we all are playing with the same understanding. would suck if it hadn't come up til next year...people would have been really upset then.

teamnasty

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Agreed. It was in the rules that were distributed before the discussions.

sociophil

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I have created a league for our inaugural season. I realize we have a few issues to still sort out, but I thought getting a start on the first season might be a nice distraction. Here are the divisions:

EAST
sociophil
hveed
teamnasty
baseball cfo

CENTRAL
Paul_Long
Paul J Kiggins
srh1200
Madal

WEST
oldmansmith2
mykbr1
dharmabums
chilliards

League name is Moneyball 2019 Season 1
PSWD = nutz

madal

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm

I have created a league for our inaugural season. I realize we have a few issues to still sort out, but I thought getting a start on the first season might be a nice distraction. Here are the divisions:

EAST
sociophil
hveed
teamnasty
baseball cfo

CENTRAL
Paul_Long
Paul J Kiggins
srh1200
Madal

WEST
oldmansmith2
mykbr1
dharmabums
chilliards

PSWD = nutz

I think I'm in the East, and CFO is in the Central. The roster chart is correct.

hveed

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:59 pm

EAST
sociophil - in
hveed - in
teamnasty
baseball cfo

CENTRAL
Paul_Long
Paul J Kiggins
srh1200
Madal

WEST
oldmansmith2
mykbr1
dharmabums
chilliards

PSWD = nutz

madal

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Article IX. Section 6 Any player with an expiring contract that has less than 6 years of service time, but makes more than the salary scale above can be renewed for another year at the same salary. Players with more than 6 years of service time and an expiring contract are eligible for free agency.[/quote][/quote]

This is the one reference I can find to Section 9.6. I seems like every last one of us blipped right through it.[/quote]

I've had 4 beers at 10.5 ABV so I'm probably off base here, but after looking this over, it seems to me that you can only renew if the guy makes more than the section 9.5 salary scale. If the guy makes less than the scale, then you have to go to arbitration, extend, or cut, renewal is not an option. Which for some reason kind of makes sense?

madal

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:23 pm

The examples that got me thinking(?) are my E. Rosario and Davies. Rosario is at $2.81, and Davies $2.42, both are 5 years service time. So I can't renew them at those salaries because minimally a 5 year guy gets $3 M. These guys make less than the minimum; therefore for 2020, I've got to arb them, extend them for at least 5 years, or FA them. If one or both made more than the minimum, then the renew option comes into play.

I don't think I have any 3-4 year examples, all my guys make more than the 3 or 4 year minimums, but therefore they can all be renewed, and arbitration avoided.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat