Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

teamnasty

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 9:59 pm

I'd like to know what type of clock if any we use for making picks in the draft.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:05 pm

i'd like to see no time 1st round
2nd round till completion of 5th round----2 hours
1 hr on remaining draft
9am till 10 pm EST no draft Sat/Sun but till can draft.

or something like that

sociophil

PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:08 pm

Article II Section 4:

There is no clock for round 1 of the inaugural free agent draft. Rounds 2 and after will operate with a 3-hour clock. 10am-10pm EST, Monday thru Friday. The Clock will be turned off over the weekend, but there is a strong preference for all owners to try and make timely picks over the weekend.

sociophil

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 pm

Gentlemen,

It is time to contemplate the initial draft for the inaugural season of the Moneyball Baseball League! I have requested a randomization of the following order of teams for the draft:

1. sociophil
2. hveed
3. dharmabums
4. mykbr1
5. baseball cfo
6. chilliards
7: paul j kiggins
8. Madal
9. srh1200
10. oldmansmith2
11. teamnasty
12. Paul_Long71

Once I get the randomization I will create a draft thread and we can begin drafting on Monday. The sequence of events over the next couple of weeks will be:

A) Inaugural Draft
B) Prospect Draft
C) Contract extension offers
D) Play ball!

Things to remember for the inaugural draft. The Strat-O-Matic 365 price will be the salary for drafted players the inaugural season and all players are signed to a one year contract unless you offer a contract extension. Contract extensions will fall into four categories depending on the Cots Years of Service.

A) For players with 6 or more years of service the owner can extend the contract for as many years as desired at the players drafted salary as long as the salary meets or exceeds the contract minimums established in Article X Section 8. For example, if you draft player A with 6 years of service time at $2,500,000 you can extend him but you would have to pay $5,000,000 per year to do so. If you do not extend then you get the player for 1 year at $2,500,000.

B) For players with 5 years of service time you can extend the player but extensions must be at least five years long. Salary scale is determined as the league average price of the top 25% of players by salary at the same primary position on league 40 man rosters at the time of the draft. Any player who has a salary that exceeds this structure can have their contract extended (for at least 5 years) at the current salary they make (ie. Mookie Betts makes $10.19 million, he could be extended for 5 more seasons at this rate). If you do not extend a 5th year player you will still have control of the player next season but you will have to sign them to a one year contract based on the arbitration rules. He becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

C) For players with 3-4 years of service time you can extend the player with a 4 year contract at the league average salary for their primary position or at their current SOM salary, whichever is higher. The league average salary is defined as the average salary of the top 50% of players by at the same primary position on league 40 man rosters at the time of the draft. If you do not extend the player, they are still under your control next season and you can resign them using the arbitration rules.

D) Players with 1-2 years of service time are ineligible for contract extensions, but are under team control through their sixth year of service time. Players with 1-2 years of service time may be renewed next season at their 2019 SOM draft price or $600,000-700,000 (depending on service time), whichever is higher. For example, if you drafted Dylan Cease you would pay $590,000 this year and $600,000 next. If you drafted Griffin Canning you would pay $2.42 million both this year and next.

Service time is a big consideration when drafting.

Phil
Last edited by sociophil on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dharmabums

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:31 am

There are some problems with the COTS ratings in the spreadsheet. Mookie Betts is listed at 6 years, but you use him as an example for 5 years (not a big deal); BUT Howie Kendrick is listed at 4 years, Max Kepler at 11 years, and Kevin Kiermaier at 1 year. I haven’t looked through it all, but that sequence in the k’s got me wondering.

sociophil

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am

That's a mistake. Let me double check my spreadsheet. I clearly made an error when merging cots into SOM spreadsheets.

madal

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 am

dharmabums wrote:There are some problems with the COTS ratings in the spreadsheet. Mookie Betts is listed at 6 years, but you use him as an example for 5 years (not a big deal); BUT Howie Kendrick is listed at 4 years, Max Kepler at 11 years, and Kevin Kiermaier at 1 year. I haven’t looked through it all, but that sequence in the k’s got me wondering.

Spreadsheet I'm looking at has Kendrick listed at 14 years, Kepler at 4 years, and Kiermaier at 6 years.

Never mind, I see what you're seeing now.

Paul_Long71

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 1:24 am

sociophil wrote:That's a mistake. Let me double check my spreadsheet. I clearly made an error when merging cots into SOM spreadsheets.

It's on the tab for available players where the mistake is....not the tab for COTS service time. The 3 column on the Available hitters tab is for COTS time but it's wrong.

sociophil

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 am

I believe I have fixed the error. The Cots years of service data should now be correct. Remember that I round up so Mookie Betts 5.07 years of service is 6 years for the purposes of the inaugural draft. If you find any other errors please let me know, but I'm pretty sure I addressed the problem.

Thanks for your help guys!

dharmabums

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 am

sociophil wrote:I believe I have fixed the error. The Cots years of service data should now be correct. Remember that I round up so Mookie Betts 5.07 years of service is 6 years for the purposes of the inaugural draft. If you find any other errors please let me know, but I'm pretty sure I addressed the problem.

Thanks for your help guys!

Thanks Phil. It's even more to keep track of than in the typical keeper league. Looking good.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat