Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

oldmansmith2

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 9:23 pm

chilliards wrote:
sociophil wrote:
s this defined anywhere in rules, I am struggling to find it

Garneau was signed prior to being designated unleashed....cannot find any unleashed rule other than initial draft and FA signing

if forfeiture of my player is intact, why replaced with worst player available?

I do not have a rule for how to address teams that cannot meat roster rules. I assumed that we would be able to meet those rules with a 40 man roster. This is really only a potential problem for catchers and pitchers. I may have to include a rule requiring teams to carry at least three catchers on their 40-man rosters, as well as a rule for how to address the failure to meet the roster rules. I don't think that owners should be allowed to go back to the FA pool and sign any available player because the FA process assumes a competitive bidding process. I'm open to suggestions on how to prevent this in the future, an resolve the occasional error.

Since this is the first occurrence, and an active catcher is available on the waiver wire, I thought this would be a reasonable solution. What solution do you think is reasonable?

Philip

This is where I am scratching my head

I can’t find what happens with a contracted unleashed player in the rules.....just inaugural draft and rule 9
Rule 9 is a gray area on this one as he was leashed when sign, unleashed after the fact....had he been an unleashed FA, he would not have been eligible to sign under Rule 9 in the first place
I signed him late when half were already completed and attributed almost 3% of my salary cap to him.....had I any knowledge he would be come unleashed, I would have grabbed another catcher after him.....I had the absolute last contract in free agency with Fulmer, I could have took any catcher available without challenge......and instead will get the worst catcher in Strat and have to keep him on my active roster at a position I cannot escape him being used :?
So, yes, I am in favor of it being more defined

Chilliards the problem with rule 9 is that the wording didn't get updated after we decided to do the free agency before the cards come out and our contract extensions before the real life season is played. The line where it talks about unleashed players not being eligible for free agency no longer has any meaning. Garneau was "leashed" in the 2020 cards, he was neither leashed nor unleashed when you signed him as a free agent. The only rule that is relevant as to whether he is eligible to be signed as a free agent is 10.02. If the player was carded the previous season and is not currently signed he is eligible. If the player did not have a regular card the previous season, than he must meet the 30IP/50 AB threshold to be eligible. Garneau had a card in 2020 so he was eligible to be signed. The only question is what to do about this case where you can't load a team. I agree with you that you shouldn't have to sign the worst catcher possible. What's wrong with signing an available catcher at Garneau's salary and 1 year status, who is obviously not as good as Garneau but not as terrible as Sisco either. Just my opinion, Phil's call.

sociophil

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 12:00 am

I can’t find what happens with a contracted unleashed player in the rules.....just inaugural draft and rule 9
Rule 9 is a gray area on this one as he was leashed when sign, unleashed after the fact....had he been an unleashed FA, he would not have been eligible to sign under Rule 9 in the first place I signed him late when half were already completed and attributed almost 3% of my salary cap to him.....had I any knowledge he would be come unleashed, I would have grabbed another catcher after him.....I had the absolute last contract in free agency with Fulmer, I could have took any catcher available without challenge......and instead will get the worst catcher in Strat and have to keep him on my active roster at a position I cannot escape him being used :?

So, yes, I am in favor of it being more defined

After reviewing the rules, it has become clear to me that I have not specifically banned unleashed cards for season use. The intent is evident in the initial draft rules and the free agent eligibility rules, but it also needs to be included in the Season roster rules as well. I will be adding a rule that clarifies the use of leashed cards only during season play. I will also need to add a rule requiring at least 3 players with catcher as their primary position on the 40-man roster. Part of managing our rosters is making sure we have the depth to weather a season using the super advanced injury rules.

To be fair, I think you have two choices: (1) trade for a catcher, or (2) you can cut Garneau and use up to $3,666,000 of your remaining salary cap on an available catcher. You will sign the catcher to a one year contract for his SOM price.

The intent of excluding unleashed cards from game play is evident in the following rules:

Section 2.02    Only those players who were issued SOMO cards this year 2020 for 2019 season) are eligible for the inaugural draft. Unleashed cards are not permitted for the inaugural draft.

Unleashed cards were not included in the inaugural draft, although we knew they might eventually end up on 40 man rosters.

Section 9.01    PLAYER CONTROL: Franchise owners control players for six years of service time starting at the time of their promotion to the 40 man roster.
(a)     Carded players who are drafted in the inaugural draft are controlled for the period remaining as determined by Cot’s Baseball Contracts.
(b)     Carded players who are undrafted during the inaugural draft become free agents after the draft.
(c)     After the inaugural season, newly carded players who are not controlled by any franchise become eligible for free agency regardless of their real life service time.
(d)     Unleashed cards are ineligible for free agency, although owning teams can continue to hold such players on their rosters.
(e)     Prospect control is determined under Article III.

Again, the intent to exclude unleashed cards was evident in this rule. The rule became obsolete when we settled on signing free agents prior to the release of the cards. I need to delete this bolded rule as it is no longer relevant since we sign eligible players before the cards are released, risking signing a player who either does not get a card or gets an ineligible unleashed card. Here is the free agent eligibility rule:

Section 10.02 FREE AGENT ELIGIBILITY: Unsigned carded players from the previous SOM 365 season, and players with more than 6 years of service time and an expiring contract, are eligible for free agency. In addition, MLB players who were uncarded the previous SOM 365 season, and who had at least 50 at bats or 30 innings pitched during the current MLB season, will be eligible for free agency. [Note, this means that players with no MLB experience prior to the 2021 MLB season, but who are carded in the SOM 2021 season, are still considered prospects and not free agents for the purpose of our annual prospect draft]. If you sign a player and SOM either does not produce a card for that player, or produces an unleashed card, you are still responsible for their contract.

The purpose of the 50 at bat and 30 innings pitched qualifications is to minimize the risk that eligible players end up with unleashed cards. Unfortunately, Garneau ended up being unleashed.

teamnasty

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 3:03 am

I'll note that we used the regular, not unleashed, set for each of the past two seasons. So I agree with Phil above, and am fine with Chilliards getting to pick someone other than Cisco to replace Garneau.

paul j kiggins

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 am

i agree also(with Phil) but he should be allowed to pick a catcher other the sisco

madal

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 10:15 am

I respectfully disagree. He gambled signing only 2 catcher's and lost. There should be a price to pay, and it be Sisco.

sociophil

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 2:40 pm

I have modified the league rules for a new 24 team league I will try to start. I've altered the inaugural draft so that the drafting team inherits the contract situation of the drafted player according to the Fangraphs 2021 Roster Resource team page. I'd be interested in your thoughts before posting the league for signup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/174dmMse9PKBEjQ5uAmCvjdbgSNz1s9-9HubWJhJZHkw/edit?usp=sharing

Philip

oldmansmith2

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 5:43 pm

Just wanna confirm. Are you proposing taking the real life contracts of the players we draft including length, and applying them to our teams that have a 140 mil cap??

sociophil

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 6:26 pm

Just wanna confirm. Are you proposing taking the real life contracts of the players we draft including length, and applying them to our teams that have a 140 mil cap??

No. I’m proposing it for a new 24 team league inaugural draft.

oldmansmith2

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 7:01 pm

sociophil wrote:

No. I’m proposing it for a new 24 team league inaugural draft.

Yes I know it's for the 24 team league. I'm asking if I draft Trout am I committing to his 37+ mil dollar contract that has many years left? Or say JT Realmuto , if I draft him am I committing to his 23+ mil contract through 2025?

sociophil

PostSun Mar 13, 2022 9:26 pm

Yes I know it's for the 24 team league. I'm asking if I draft Trout am I committing to his 37+ mil dollar contract that has many years left? Or say JT Realmuto , if I draft him am I committing to his 23+ mil contract through 2025?

Yes, that's what I'm proposing. I'm looking for feedback before committing to these draft rules over the original version.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat