Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

paul j kiggins

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 pm

If a player retires while under contract is the teams still responsible for the remaining years of his contract.....If he dies also r we still responsible...TKS

teamnasty

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 9:30 pm

Our rules clearly state that player death frees the owner from the contract, but no similar exceptions are made for any other reason, whether it’s retirement, long term injury, being put on Admin leave due to criminal investgation (Bauer), or demotion to the minor leagues. And that’s as it should be—if you roll the dice and overvalue a player’s quality and longevity, you should be stuck with the cost

An owner shouldn’t be able to clear the bidding field on a player entering his announced last year, like Wainwright, by offering a multi year deal then claiming they should be released from years 2-beyond because Wainwright retires as scheduled.

teamnasty

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 9:43 pm

I can see a case for amending our rules in the future to cover a situation like Poseys, who didn’t announce an intention to play one more year then retire (like wainwright has done) but unexpectedly retired due to the intensity of accumulating injuries that were non public . Maybe some partial contract amnesty or something. But as of now our rules don’t allow that, and bidding has begun

paul j kiggins

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 pm

mlb rules are different than....

Do players still get paid if they retire?
Now, if a player officially retires when still under contract, he will forfeit the remaining balance of his contract.

MLB

sociophil

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 pm

If a player retires while under contract is the teams still responsible for the remaining years of his contract.....If he dies also r we still responsible...TKS

Yes, the team is responsible. It's no different than having a player get injured or, in the case of Chris Davis, sucking really bad for the duration of your contract. Owners need to be careful about signing players to long term contracts.

I can see a case for amending our rules in the future to cover a situation like Poseys, who didn’t announce an intention to play one more year then retire (like wainwright has done) but unexpectedly retired due to the intensity of accumulating injuries that were non public . Maybe some partial contract amnesty or something. But as of now our rules don’t allow that, and bidding has begun

I'm not in favor of contract exemptions except in the case of death and the one time exemption permitted for new owners. There is significant risk to signing players in their 30s to long term contracts.

Do players still get paid if they retire?
Now, if a player officially retires when still under contract, he will forfeit the remaining balance of his contract.

Yes, in MLB players forfeit their contracts if they retire. We cannot model this in our rules without creating gamesmanship.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 pm

Phil,
Just noticed that J.P. Crawford is on the Available FA Hitters list under SS. But...he is on my roster.

thanks,

Paul

sociophil

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 pm

Fixed

Paul_Long71

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 12:35 am

I also have Zack Collins on my roster but he is on the Available hitters list under DH. He needs removed as well.

I also have Yusei Kikuchi on my roster, but he appears on the Available pitchers list

baseball cfo

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 am

Luis Patino is on the available pitchers list but he is one of my prospects.

sociophil

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 10:00 am

Fixed. Thanks guys.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat