Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Paul_Long71

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 pm

first we have to play the second season of 2019 correct?

teamnasty

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm

No, the supplemental FA draft happens between the two seasons held for each year. Each team can drop up to a max of 3 players on its current 40 man in order to create space to bid on up to 3 FA's. It's all in Article XI (11) in the rules. But many of us are prevented from participating, or greatly limited, given that most inaugural salary caps are approaching $140M. That's my reading of Phil's rules anyway...

sociophil

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 11:16 pm

How would the auction process work? How do we bid? At what point is a winning bid determined?

The relevant rules are found in Article X and Article XI of the rules found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lKj ... sp=sharing

and here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I was proposing some bidding procedures that would clarify the bidding process as I did not flesh them out originally. I'll explain more below.

And to what are proceeding? 2019 again?

We are holding the supplemental free agent signing period between season 1 and season 2. After the completion of the supplemental free agent signing period we will begin season 2 of the 2019 card set.

And, am I to understand that I get no opportunity to cut players to make room for salaries...that my cuts were predetermined before we played the season?

In order to sign a free agent you must make make roster space through trades or cuts, and your must have sufficient salary cap to place a legal contract bid in a free agent. Since three of us have less than $500,000 in salary cap space available, we cannot make a legal contract bid on any available free agents.

Paul asks: first we have to play the second season of 2019 correct?

Doug correctly answers with the following: No, the supplemental FA draft happens between the two seasons held for each year. Each team can drop up to a max of 3 players on its current 40 man in order to create space to bid on up to 3 FA's. It's all in Article XI (11) in the rules. But many of us are prevented from participating, or greatly limited, given that most inaugural salary caps are approaching $140M.

So we had some discussion before season 1 about how to manage the bidding process. The rules leave it open and indeterminate. I looked as the proposals in the thread and think that a more orderly signing period and bidding process was proposed. my thoughts on the matter are the following:

1. Free Agent bidding will be conducted in reverse order of finish based on the outcome of season 1.
2. Three free agent players will be bid upon at any given time (i.e. Teams 12, 11, and 10 make bids on three different players creating an active pool of three free agents).
3. Once a team wins a bid on a player, the next team eligible to name a player can add a free agent to the pool by making an offer (teams must make an offer on the player they are naming).
4. Teams without the salary cap or roster space available to make an offer to a free agent will have to pass when it is their turn to offer a free agent contract.
5. The supplemental free agent signing period will end when every team has filled their 40 roster slots, or when no more free agents are offered a contract 24 hours after the last player to be signed.

I should add one more thing,

6. A player is considered to be been signed if no other team makes a better offer within a 24 hour period.

These rules would allow for a manageable number of players being bid upon simultaneously, and establishes a time frame for determining when a player is considered signed. The supplemental free agent signing period provides a good low stakes context for experimenting with free agent bidding procedures.

Philip

teamnasty

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Phil a question about bidding mechanics and drop out rules.

Assume it's your turn to nominate a FA, and you announce that you're offering Kershaw 1 year for $10Million. Assume further that only two other teams have available cap space to pursue Kershaw, teams B and C.

First question, does the bidding have a required order, where B has 24 hours to either improve upon the offer or pass, then it's C's turn...., or can anyone blurt out a bid at any time if they want to beat your 1/10Mil offer? I think you intended the latter free for all situation, but I wanted to check.

If instead it's a sequenced bidding rather than a free for all, can Team B "pass" on improving the offer but jump in later after you and Team C have bidded Kershaw up for a while? Or are you out once you pass?

Paul_Long71

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 1:17 am

I meant that we had to play season 2 before any free agency. but thanks for all the clarification.

and for sake of making it easy to follow I hope there is NOT sequential bidding.

sociophil

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 7:46 am

First question, does the bidding have a required order, where B has 24 hours to either improve upon the offer or pass, then it's C's turn...., or can anyone blurt out a bid at any time if they want to beat your 1/10Mil offer? I think you intended the latter free for all situation, but I wanted to check.

It's not sequential. Anyone can bid at any time. If there are no new bids after 24 hours then the best contract offer is the winning bid.

teamnasty

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:28 am

Great, thanks. I approve of your proposal to get started and am ready to announce cuts after the rest of the league weighs in.

oldmansmith2

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 2:08 pm

This looks good to me so long as GMs are not allowed to pass if it's their turn to place a bid on a free agent and they have less than 40 players.

Paul_Long71

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm pretty sure he means when it's a GM's turn to bring up a player for bidding. You can't pass. that has to be a rule otherwise you can just pass until people run out of money and then bring up the guys you want for cheap as everyone has capped out or filled rosters. The key is to bring up guys that others will bid on.

oldmansmith2

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:I'm pretty sure he means when it's a GM's turn to bring up a player for bidding. You can't pass. that has to be a rule otherwise you can just pass until people run out of money and then bring up the guys you want for cheap as everyone has capped out or filled rosters. The key is to bring up guys that others will bid on.

Yes that's what I was referring to.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat