Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

beesore

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

Should teamnasty's McHugh bid last night/this morning have included a salary bid increase? Or is additional year (or option or converting an option to full year) a valid up bid?

With oldmansmith's recent bid, the question is more for future clarity on rule 10.04. Thanks.

teamnasty

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am

My understand is no. I can upbid by adding a year(s) without adding to AAV as long as I am meeting the minimum salary requirements.

beesore

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:33 am

OK - thanks.

madal

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am

Actually, beesore makes a good point. Sec. X.04 says, "... a team must bid more money per year AND at least as many years....".

Sec X.05 Example 1, states "Any team pacing a bid after Team A, must match the years offered and exceed the money per year offered to pass Team A....".

I think it could be argued the bid did not exceed the money (bid more money per year). How much it matters I cannot say, but personally, I have bid extra money when adding a year to the contract.

teamnasty

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 am

That's not how we've been doing it for 3 years. The last sentence of Rule 10.01 says the bid either must be increased by salary level or number of years, so to the extent there's contrary language in the provisions you cite that needs to be corrected by Phil. Rule 10.01 says it's either/or not both, and that's how we've been doing it, including several bids this season.

teamnasty

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 am

It also doesn't make sense to require a salary increase as long as the AAV minimums are followed and the upbid adds more money by adding years of time. Player A in real life is gonna take 2/20 mil over 1/10 mil.

madal

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 pm

Yup, in context with Sec. X.01, I agree. I can understand how the updates to the ones I mentioned were missed, can't catch them all.

sociophil

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 12:15 pm

Section 10.01 INTRODUCTION: Teams may obtain free agents during the free agency signing periods. When free agency begins, teams are welcome to post a player on the free agency page. In their message, they should state their team, the number of years being offered and the total value of the contract. The first team to post a bid on a free agent must have their offer beat by succeeding bids. The dollar amounts of bids must increase by a minimum of $100,000 or 5% per year more than the previous bid, whichever is higher. The dollar bid does not have to increase if the years offered are increased.

Section 10.04 BIDDING: In order to obtain a free agent, a team must bid more money per year AND at least as many years as anyone else. Money for contracts are divided evenly among all years. Once a bid has been placed for a player, a team must match years offered and exceed money per year to obtain the player. Teams can offer an "option" year. It counts as 0.5 of a year when deciding what team gets a player.

(a)     Example: a two-year contract + option would beat a two-year offer. It would not beat a three year offer.

Okay, I understand the confusion now. I revised 10.01 after writing 10.04 and failed to follow that through. You can beat an existing offer either in salary or in years. I will revise 10.04 to reflect this.

Philip

beesore

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:09 pm

Thanks for the discussion and quick resolution.

Not that I'd take it back, but I did follow my understanding of 10.04 (and missed 10.01) when bidding on Suarez.

teamnasty

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:23 am

Looking to deal some mid rotation guys on affordable contracts, like Darvish, Bauer, and Kluber. PM if interested.

TN
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat