Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

madal

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Am I correct that a guy like Tyler Glasnow doesn't qualify for the Inaugural Draft because he isn't carded in the regular set, and he also will not qualify for the Prospect Draft because he has MLB experience?

sociophil

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Correct. He would be a free agent next year if carded.

oldmansmith2

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 12:20 am

sociophil wrote:Gentlemen,

It is time to contemplate the initial draft for the inaugural season of the Moneyball Baseball League! I have requested a randomization of the following order of teams for the draft:

1. sociophil
2. hveed
3. dharmabums
4. mykbr1
5. baseball cfo
6. chilliards
7: paul j kiggins
8. Madal
9. srh1200
10. oldmansmith2
11. teamnasty
12. Paul_Long71

Once I get the randomization I will create a draft thread and we can begin drafting on Monday. The sequence of events over the next couple of weeks will be:

A) Inaugural Draft
B) Prospect Draft
C) Contract extension offers
D) Play ball!

Things to remember for the inaugural draft. The Strat-O-Matic 365 price will be the salary for drafted players the inaugural season and all players are signed to a one year contract unless you offer a contract extension. Contract extensions will fall into four categories depending on the Cots Years of Service.

A) For players with 6 or more years of service the owner can extend the contract for as many years as desired at the players drafted salary as long as the salary meets or exceeds the contract minimums established in Article X Section 8. For example, if you draft player A with 6 years of service time at $2,500,000 you can extend him but you would have to pay $5,000,000 per year to do so. If you do not extend then you get the player for 1 year at $2,500,000.

B) For players with 5 years of service time you can extend the player but extensions must be at least five years long. Salary scale is determined as the league average price of the top 25% of players by salary at the same primary position on league 40 man rosters at the time of the draft. Any player who has a salary that exceeds this structure can have their contract extended (for at least 5 years) at the current salary they make (ie. Mookie Betts makes $10.19 million, he could be extended for 5 more seasons at this rate). If you do not extend a 5th year player you will still have control of the player next season but you will have to sign them to a one year contract based on the arbitration rules. He becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

C) For players with 3-4 years of service time you can extend the player with a 4 year contract at the league average salary for their primary position or at their current SOM salary, whichever is higher. The league average salary is defined as the average salary of the top 50% of players by at the same primary position on league 40 man rosters at the time of the draft. If you do not extend the player, they are still under your control next season and you can resign them using the arbitration rules.

D) Players with 1-2 years of service time are ineligible for contract extensions, but are under team control through their sixth year of service time. Players with 1-2 years of service time will be renewed next season at their 2019 SOM draft price or $600,000-700,000 (depending on service time), whichever is higher. For example, if you drafted Dylan Cease you would pay $590,000 this year and $600,000 next. If you drafted Griffin Canning you would pay $2.42 million both this year and next.

Service time is a big consideration when drafting.

Phil

When you say that a player with 6 or more years can be extended for any number of years, does that mean it can be for fewer years than the 5 year minimum that a player with 5 years of service has to get?

sociophil

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 am

When you say that a player with 6 or more years can be extended for any number of years, does that mean it can be for fewer years than the 5 year minimum that a player with 5 years of service has to get?

That is correct. Only players in the last year of arbitration eligibility must be extended for a minimum of five years.

Phil

chilliards

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am

Is there a spreadsheet on contract lengths.....on the road and using iPad

sociophil

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:52 pm

The Cots tab on the spreadsheet has all of the service time information for all players. Contracts are one year for all players unless you extend the contracts after the draft. Players with 5 or fewer years of service are under team control for the remainder of the six years.

baseball cfo

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 4:10 pm

So just to make sure I am thinking about this correctly, I just drafted Jose Ramirez who has 6 years of service time. I can extend him for $5M for as long as I want now, correct?

Paul_Long71

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 6:28 pm

just noticing that there is a mistake on the webpage. The East should have teams 1,4,7,10 so Madal should be in the East (draft position 10) not chilliards.

chilliards

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Another extension question.....if I extend a you player with 3-4 years of service for the maximum four years, is he then not eligible for another extension?

chilliards

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat