teamnasty

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 8:54 pm

I agree with Paul Long but still
Would like Phil to weigh in

sociophil

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm

The cots sheet is correct. 3.0 is 3.0, and 3.1 is 4. I've applied the rounding rule correctly. The service time was as of Jan.1, 2020. The contract status of your players is on your team sheet. The same rule has been applied throughout the draft.
Last edited by sociophil on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teamnasty

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks Phil. Didn’t want to introduce unnecessary confusion just wanted clarity. Thanks

teamnasty

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:23 pm

Wait but that’s not what cots says frequently. I’ll apply your rounding rule above

sociophil

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 pm

You have to go to 4 digits. Any fraction over the whole number is rounded up. So 3.001 is 4.

madal

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Question regarding arbitration under Section 9.10 and 9.12(d)(ii). Both sections say the player is awarded the higher of the 4 year salary of $2 M, or the assigned SOMO price. The Section 9.12(d)(ii) example the 4 year guy goes to arbitration, and is awarded a SOMO salary of $1.8 M, and so will be paid the $1.80 M. But this seems contrary to being awarded the higher of the assigned SOMO or $2 M. It seems to me his salary should be $2 M, not $1.80 M. What am I missing?

sociophil

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Question regarding arbitration under Section 9.10 and 9.12(d)(ii). Both sections say the player is awarded the higher of the 4 year salary of $2 M, or the assigned SOMO price. The Section 9.12(d)(ii) example the 4 year guy goes to arbitration, and is awarded a SOMO salary of $1.8 M, and so will be paid the $1.80 M. But this seems contrary to being awarded the higher of the assigned SOMO or $2 M. It seems to me his salary should be $2 M, not $1.80 M. What am I missing?

Clearly my example contradicts the rule. The player cannot make less than the league minimum for his years of service. A player with four years of service will be paid a minimum of $2 mil. If you take Anderson to arbitration the lowest salary you can hope for is $2mil. I will correct the example to reflect league minimum salaries.

You have brought to my attention a discrepancy between the league minimum salaries based on years of service and the minimum salary offers required in free agency bidding. I will adjust the minimum free agency bidding requirements down to match the league minimum salary requirements.

Thanks for pointing this out. Please realize that I tried to make a new set of rules form whole cloth. If anyone finds errors of inconsistencies, please point them out so that I can correct them.

Phil

oldmansmith2

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 2:33 pm

sociophil wrote:

Clearly my example contradicts the rule. The player cannot make less than the league minimum for his years of service. A player with four years of service will be paid a minimum of $2 mil. If you take Anderson to arbitration the lowest salary you can hope for is $2mil. I will correct the example to reflect league minimum salaries.

You have brought to my attention a discrepancy between the league minimum salaries based on years of service and the minimum salary offers required in free agency bidding. I will adjust the minimum free agency bidding requirements down to match the league minimum salary requirements.

Thanks for pointing this out. Please realize that I tried to make a new set of rules form whole cloth. If anyone finds errors of inconsistencies, please point them out so that I can correct them.

Phil

Not getting the need to have to adjust the free agent minimums. Unless you are talking about something else, the free agent minimums are based on the number of years of the contract itself, the higher the number of years being offered the higher the minimum salary being offered has to be. That's something entirely different than a league salary minimum based on years of service correct?

sociophil

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Darn, you are right. I'm confusing myself!

paul j kiggins

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Pitchers and Catchers reported to Dunedin FLA as the Cape Bear Cubbies swing into training camp to start the 2020 season.Pork "CHOPS" Murphy,"Got some good looking arms out there ,time to see what we drafted."I'm sure our pitching Coach Claude Raymond will whip these athletics in shape in the next two weeks before the rest of the team reports to camp.Here is a look at the potential starting rotation for the upcoming season.

The Cubbies drafted their top pitcher acquiring SP JACK FLAHERTY (11-8, 2.81) from the ST.Louis Cardinals organization. Flaherty ended the 2019 regular season with an 11-8 record and a 2.75 ERA over 33 starts, striking out 231 over 196​1⁄3 innings. He became the third-youngest pitcher in baseball history to strike out at least 230 and walk 55 or fewer with a 2.75 ERA or lower.Following the season, he was nominated for his first ever Gold Glove and finished fourth in National League Cy Young Award voting.At just 25 years of age Management believes he could be the teams "ACE" for years to come.When you have some young pitchers on your team you need a veteran and at 6 feet 3 inches and 210 pounds LH SP PATRICK CORBIN fit the bill. In 2019 he was 14-7 with a 3.25 ERA (8th in the NL) in 33 starts, in which he struck out 238 batters in 202.0 innings.In Game 7 of the 2019 World Series, Corbin was the winning pitcher, leading to the Nationals' first championship in franchise history. Corbin’s 13.886 strikeouts per nine innings pitched in the 2019 playoffs was the 3rd highest ever in a single MLB playoffs. Corbin won the 2019 Warren Spahn Award.

NOT much is known about SP ZAC GALLEN (3-6,2.81) but pitching coach Raymond believes this kid has the makings of a solid #3/4 pitcher in the rotation.On July 31, 2019, the Marlins traded Gallen to the Arizona Diamondbacks for shortstop Jazz Chisholm. In 8 starts for Arizona, Gallen was 2-3 with a 2.89 ERA in ​43 2⁄3 innings, striking out 53 in the process . Gallen is only 25 yrs old and still has lots of room to grow. As you can probably tell im a Blue Jays fan so the next 2 pitchers on the staff have pitched for the Canadian team, SP JOE MUSGROVE and SP MARCUS STROMAN.Musgrove was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the first round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft out of Grossmont High School in El Cajon, California.On July 20, 2012, Musgrove was traded from the Blue Jays to the Houston Astros with Francisco Cordero, Ben Francisco, Asher Wojciechowski, David Rollins, Carlos Pérez and a player to be named later (Kevin Comer) in exchange for J. A. Happ, Brandon Lyon, and David Carpenter.The Astros than traded Musgrove, along with Michael Feliz, Colin Moran and Jason Martin, to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Gerrit Cole. Pitching against the St. Louis Cardinals on August 30, 2018, Musgrove began the game by throwing 21 consecutive strikes, the most by a major league pitcher to start a game since 1988.[ This included eight swinging strikes, six called strikes, two foul balls and five balls in play where the batter was put out by the Pirates fielders. In 19 starts, he finished with a record of 6-9 in ​115 1⁄3 innings.

Stroman was drafted by the Jays 22nd overall, and became the first Duke player ever selected in the first round.[ After starting his professional career with the Low-A Vancouver Canadians, the Blue Jays promoted Stroman to the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats on August 1, 2012. Stroman was suspended for 50 games on August 28, 2012, for testing positive for methylhexanamine, a banned stimulant."It sure feels good coming back to Toronto and to get out of New York," Marcus told reporters this afternoon and a light workout.On March 13, 2019, Stroman was announced as the Opening Day starter by Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo and on June 30, Stroman was named to the 2019 MLB All-Star Game, his first all-star nomination of his career.Stroman's repertoire includes six pitches: his four-seam fastball and two-seam fastball average 93 miles per hour (150 km/h) and 92 miles per hour (148 km/h) respectively. His off-speed pitches include a curveball at 82 miles per hour (132 km/h), a changeup at 85 miles per hour (137 km/h), a cutter at 90 miles per hour (140 km/h), and a slider at 85 miles per hour (137 km/h). He has relied more on his two-seam fastball (about 41-44%) since the 2015 season.Looking for a big season from STRO in the happy confines of Rodgers Stadium.
That was a look at the Cubbies starting rotation for 2020,next we will look at the teams bullpen
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat