Auto League 442029 - Let's have a chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Auto League 442029 - Let's have a chat

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am

Hey Guys,

I always find it's more fun to talk about the team, SOM, baseball, holiday, whatever when playing in a league. Definitely more fun than just checking once a day to see how you did and then signing off.

This is a place to explain, celebrate, commiserate, comment and complain.

So, I'll start it off. I tried to build a team that had power, but didnt' totally sacrifice defense, ob, or pitching. I may not have made it so well on the OB part (hence the trade for Choo who was on my draft card but I didn't get) but decent the rest of the way.

So far we're playing great, but we've also been lucky. Our BP numbers are *way* better than the opponents and our hitters have rolled inordinately on their cards. I expect to regress to the mean, but hopefully still win games. Playing .750 ball in any case, is unsustainable.

If we get enough participation, I will offer the carrot of publishing team ratings for every team and, if we have a LOT of participation I will also publish "luck factors". I have some observations so far on the teams, but I will save that for another post.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas! :) 8-) :D :mrgreen:

J-Pav

Re: Auto League 442029 - Let's have a chat

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:24 am

Hi, I’m here.

First one in gets their team rating first!

I also have a power team in Citizens, mostly because power teams in Citizens is all that works anymore. Note the three Citizens teams all in first place at 9-3. (**Now second place at 10-5. Yes, I had that coming.**)

Looking forward to the occasional chit chat here, as the boards are pretty dead.

joethejet

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:49 am

Well, certainly not why I took Citizens, I'm more likely to take an average, balanced park than one so extreme.

J, your team looks like it will rate pretty well, but I can't be totally sure until I see the pitching usage. Your D is the biggest weak point you have. I also question the wisdom of Ohtani, Alcantara, Ross and Vleazquez in a HR park. You also have some injury risks in that you have only one player (Dozier) who is limited to a 3 game intjury, your bench is injury prone also (and only 4 deep) and you have 2 2 injury guys and a 3 injury guy starting v RHP. That said, your power is impressive and I think you'll do well.

Somehow we lucked into 3 wins against the Gobblers tonight. I think the Gobblers are actually solid so we've been lucky against them so far. BTW, that's a team that won't see a lot of games lost to injuries. They have 7 guys with > 600 PA! And only their catcher has a 2 injury.

J-Pav

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 pm

My team here is a blend between an homage to Axelrod Gunderson’s Event 1 Tour team (Citizens)...

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1512664

...and one of my own previous teams (Citizens):

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1519015

I’m trying to find the right balance between runs scored and runs allowed, so I’ve become a little flakier with defense. Earlier in the card set season, I was pretty predisposed to all 1s and maybe a few 2s. However, I’ve seen too many teams now with substandard defense still outperform.

Plus, chicks dig the long ball.

joethejet

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 4:16 pm

J-Pav wrote:My team here is a blend between an homage to Axelrod Gunderson’s Event 1 Tour team (Citizens)...

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1512664

...and one of my own previous teams (Citizens):

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1519015

I’m trying to find the right balance between runs scored and runs allowed, so I’ve become a little flakier with defense. Earlier in the card set season, I was pretty predisposed to all 1s and maybe a few 2s. However, I’ve seen too many teams now with substandard defense still outperform.

Plus, chicks dig the long ball.

LOL :lol:

It will be intersting to see, I think i'ts hard to get a lot of 1's and 2's that can hit in this set

joethejet

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 3:26 am

Ouch! Got swept at home by the Cynics. :cry: Now, the Cynics are a team built around pitching, but we gave up 24 runs in the series. :shock: Knew that some of the die rolls had to turn, and they sure did!

Oh well, hopefully it's just a blip.

Naturaldoc

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 pm

I am hoping my entire season so far is just a blip.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:44 am

The advantage of Citizens Bank is that it maximizes the HR strategy advantage and allows the owner to utilize both lefty and righty players equally. I have won in Angels Stadium and Minute Maid with nearly equal effect and it seems that the L-R performance difference in those parks is greater than the BP numbers suggest.

Defense plays in every inning of every game, equally in every park so I invest in it but I try to balance that with the offensive requirements of the BP strategy.

I usually dont discuss strategy out of respect for the competition but i admire J-Pav and Naturaldoc's play so this once for fun.

-A.G.

joethejet

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Naturaldoc wrote:I am hoping my entire season so far is just a blip.

Doc, I do think your team is better than it's played. Of course, some teams just don't do as well as you would think. It'll be interesting to see if your moves pan out.

Axel, Yeah, Citizen's will give you some HRs, but harder to make sure you can get some guys on in front of the HRs with the low singles. Your D and Doc's are second best behind my D. I was hoping our D would help make up for pitching that is only OK and in a park which will give up some runs trying to reduce the number of runners allowed on base.

Obviously J went the other way with only 23 mil in pitching and a D that has some weak points. He's going to hit however! Tons of power on his team.

It looks to me that Epic, Winning and the Badgers will lead the league in HRs. Not sure I picked the right park for this team. :?

Meanwhile the Cynics are threatening to win 120 games! :shock:

joethejet

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 am

Well, our blip has turned into three lost series. I hate playing teams with super poor records. They are just DUE to turn it around, especially this early in the season when you know they haven't gotten any breaks.

My pitching which was off the charts good before the last 9 games is no longer so (61 runs in 9 games will do that to you). :( I went from being better than I should be to worse than I should be in a short period. Alas, such are small sample sizes I guess.
Next

Return to Individual League Chat