Auto League 442029 - Let's have a chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

J-Pav

Re: Auto League 442029 - Let's have a chat

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 4:56 pm

I had Strahm on two of three ring teams, Nuno on the other.

My question then for Joe, is if his ratings are at all picking up on this value/usage... :ugeek:

joethejet

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Hey Guys,

sorry I've been silent, a busy couple of days and I'll be busy this weekend, but I *will* get back with comments.

These ratings have nothing to do with value just straight talent evaluation.

J-Pav

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:47 pm

joethejet wrote:These ratings have nothing to do with value just straight talent evaluation.

Salary is just straight talent evaluation too. But you do want to acquire the highest ratings possible, no?? The value then, is “what is spent” to acquire the most ratings points, or Ratings divided by Salary.

If the ratings are not a method of assigning value, then I must be completely misunderstanding what they do.

So I’m looking forward to marching straight into the weeds here...! :)

joethejet

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Ok, some comments on the above:

I’ve seen a crazy number of low budget staffs outperform a lot of money spent by fellow competitors.

Well, if they are, then it's a combination of park, D, usage and luck. Obviously if you spend more on pitching, you have better pitchers. If, however, you're in a hitter's park, or you don't get your settings right, or you have a D that gets taken advantage of, then you can overperform your salary (or rating). Then, of course, there's just the plain ol' luck factor that is present with a Small Sample Size.

Although my team is performing well, it hasn’t kept pace with my homage to Axelrod.

Well, first, this team spent 28 mil on pitching so that's a little low, but not extremely so, second, they have outstanding defense which makes up for some of the deficit. He did a decent job of utilizing the pen and minimizing the SPs (only 55% of the IP). I would also suggest that this team is VERY weak against LHP and is extremely vulnerable to injury. They must have gotten really lucky in both categories to win 100+ games. But, good timing on your homers (this is a low OB team) will make up for a lot of deficiencies. The team does rate well despite these shortcomings. I would also suggest that Velazquez and Fried would be expected to give up more HRs playing in that park.

So while I get the “rankings” based on the salaries, there is a HUGE disconnect on the actual performances
Not sure what you mean by this. If you're talking about my player rankings, they don't have anything to do with salary. How many you can fit on your team does, of course, have to take salary into consideration. I would suggest that teams with sub $1 SPs are not pitching them many innings and probably have good defense/park for them, or just out hit the other teams.

why can a team with $20 mil spent on pitching so outperform $40 mil spent

Do you mean they actually pitch better? Well, D and park are factors as is usage. Finally there is luck. Of course, it could be the case, perhaps, that better pitchers are over priced versus the difference for what you get. You'd have to talk to BB about how they are priced, I just usually check to make sure guys are, more or less, in the correct order.

can give you a massive number of innings
Yes, relief usage is completely broken. Not as broken as it was in the beginning, but still broken. John is going to address that, but I don't it will happen for this season. And, you're right, the R3s probably need to be more expensive.

Nuno and Strahm combined for 600 innings and about a 3 era.
And they have up almost 100 home runs. I would suggest they were lucky to have ERAs that low.

My question then for Joe, is if his ratings are at all picking up on this value/usage...
The team ratings factor in the number of IP each pitcher has thrown if that's what you mean.

If the ratings are not a method of assigning value
Well, certainly you can compare different players and their salaries and find guys that look like bargains.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Joe,

Why use points at all? Why not just convert it to a salary formula? Then you’re apples to apples.

Freeman is right though. There’s no getting around Strahm and Nuno (in his example) gave him three times their salary worth of performance. Forecasting that would be incredibly valuable.

joethejet

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:42 pm

The question I have for the "over usage" of RPs is what does the game engine do? Does it somehow penalize them. As I point out, I think they got a bit lucky in that play through. 99 HRs is a LOT to give up.

I don't have a methodology that gives me salary and I haven't spent the time to do it. Since I don't do the pricing, I've never felt it was necessary.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:01 pm

joethejet wrote:99 HRs is a LOT to give up.

Scherzer and Verlander gave up 119 together in that league and cost more than twice as much.

Freeman takes Strahm and Nuno, gives up 20 less homers AND adds $9 mil to his offense. That’s a no brainer.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:26 pm

I think I’ll try me some ‘a dat!

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1537545

joethejet

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 pm

J-Pav wrote:I think I’ll try me some ‘a dat!

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1537545

That will be an interesting team. Your offense is very dependent on 4 hitters, v RHP. Low OB. Fielding is off the charts good.

Pitchers have a TON of HRs. Will depend on the other parks in the division/league as they may be fine in Miami.

As I said, very interesting. I'm curious to see how they do.

joethejet

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:05 am

Evidently we cannot beat the Froggys, we're 8-13 so far. At least the last three are at home. I can see losing to him at home as he's decent there but giving up more runs to him in AT&T is just crazy. Oh well, we can't get Jon Jay out which is a killer.

Oh well, we're tied with 12 to go and he has the tie breaker so hopefully we'll get hot. Been really cold over the past 20 or so games so maybe the timing is right for a hot streak.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat