NLD 52 - See See CC League

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Re: NLD 52 - See See CC League

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 pm

milleram wrote:Most every league I play in--there are a lot of changes just before 10PM deadline---Especially in PC tournament leagues---and why not??

I have done it a couple times, though seldom for me really.

You want to get an edge up on division foes--you really need matchup guys--and you want to do it when your opponent can't make a counter move. Just part of the strategy. Marc Pelletier was a master at that.

I guess I just consider it "uncool". I wouldn't do it. Nor would I change my SPs at the last minute either. This isn't as big a deal as it used to be when you only had one RH and LH lineup, but it's still really annoying and feels like gamesmanship to me.

If I make a move at the last minute it's either because someone else made a significant move, someone I really wanted came available or I really couldn't make up my mind on a move and I finally did. But, that's just me.

joethejet

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:26 pm

NLD History is posted: www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet/NLD_History.xls

You'll have to copy and paste the URL.

Notes:
- JF was the sixth "rookie" to win it all. An additional six rookies have made the playoffs in their first go-round.
- Jeep has made the past two playoffs.
- Semper was back in the POs and now has been in 3 of 4 and 5 of 7 and 7 of 11. Pretty good for a guy who lets Hal control his team all season.
- Spidey is on an every other stretch of five playoffs.
- JTJ has missed for two straight seasons, five in a row, after having a stretch of 6 of 7. Guess you can't be lucky all the time.
- Smokey is also on an every other for the past four he's been in.
- Best record won again, that's four of the past five.
- It was an average league gap from top to bottom with a STD Dev of 8.3
- Falcon makes his debut in the top of the rankings finally getting to 10 seasons.

Any other comments?

Spider 67

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 pm

While I've been setting my lineups recently, in the past I've found that HAL does an effective job of lineup matchups. So, I wouldn't expect that to negatively impact Semper's success - if he lets HAL determine his lineups. HAL can vary the lineup, even when facing similar-strength pitchers (e.g. all reverse righty).

In my early NLD leagues, I tried to set my rotation based on season-long opponent schedules. That took a lot of work on the weekend. However, there are so many late changes that it became, largely, a waste of time. Now, I try to have an extra starter (didn't realize until I got home Monday, that I didn't have but 5), so I can try to improve matchups.

I wouldn't make a late change on pitching or team composition as a gamesmanship move, but will do it if I've not had time to evaluate my team or my opponent's.

Before SOM made a change (at least I think they made a change) some owners would deliberately wait until after 10 PM to make a team change - for a one-game use of a player(s). That was irritating.

milleram

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 1:50 am

I agree with the after 10pm moves, and before the games were played was going too far--Strat fixed that (sort of) as it cost you the 5% now. It hasn't happen in any of my leagues yet--but I think I read on the boards that a guy went negative on a move like that and Start had to undo his after 10pm move.

If I'm making moves between 9 and 10 PM opening night--95% of the time I don't like my team very much.

joethejet

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 2:21 am

Talk about misleading games, the only game I won tonight was an 11-1 "laugher". Right? :lol: :lol: Nope, we scored 10 in the top of the 13th!!! to break open a 1-1 extra inning game! Wendle had a 3 run double and Chapman a granny!

Wish we could have used a few of those runs in the other games!

doug_tucker10

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 9:23 am

2 positions i hate being weak at are CF and 2B..the past few drafts Ive done a lousy job of drafting at both. I could have had Mcneil in the draft but kept delaying that pick. I ended up with a platoon 3 at 2b anyway, awful drafting. I really don't like my team.

joethejet

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 am

doug_tucker10 wrote:2 positions i hate being weak at are CF and 2B..the past few drafts Ive done a lousy job of drafting at both. I could have had Mcneil in the draft but kept delaying that pick. I ended up with a platoon 3 at 2b anyway, awful drafting. I really don't like my team.

Well, you're tied for first to you can't be that bad. ;)

joethejet

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 1:20 am

Holy crap, I lost Bassitt for 15 games! :cry: WTF. That's ridiculous when you have a roster that can't call someone up from the minors. Ugh.

Now my best RP will be burned for 15 games too. That's a sh**y rule that needs to be changed.

milleram

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 am

I wish all my SP would go down for 15 :? --all of em over 6 ERA!!!

Spider 67

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 am

joethejet wrote:Holy crap, I lost Bassitt for 15 games! :cry: WTF. That's ridiculous when you have a roster that can't call someone up from the minors. Ugh.

Now my best RP will be burned for 15 games too. That's a sh**y rule that needs to be changed.

I agree! That's one reason I picked up Jurado as a S/R. Unfortunately you can't specify which RP to use as a starter.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat