Auto League 434496 Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Re: Auto League 434496 Chat

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 pm

lpezzeme wrote:Joe,

Yes, a brief discussion of the ratings would be helpful.

As for Blanton, I have seen something like this. In the 2014 set, I used Betances as a a super-reliever and had him set at F4 or lower throughout the season. He was an R2/C0. He pitched 231.2 innings and 55% of his rolls were on the hitters' cards, which I couldn't understand. Subsequently, I read somewhere that forcing a pitcher to pitch while fatigued shifts the rolls to the hitters' cards. I don't know what your settings are, but maybe that is the explanation.

Yes, that's how Blanton is being treated evidently, but I DON'T have him set to F4, there is no setting at all so that's what is perplexing to me. Not sure why Hal is leaving him in there tired all the time. (why he's getting tired all the time is another question)

As for the ratings, I have a whole web site dedicated to this. http://www.angelfire.com/games5/joethejet but here's part of the FAQ
What are the ratings based on?
This system has evolved over 20 years and there’s over a man-year of effort put into it. It’s not trivial. Initially, it was an OPS type system for hitting and pitching. Then fielding was incorporated.

The newest generation includes situational elements and "chain" assumptions. In other words, it takes into account how many times certain situations occur and then translates the situational probabilities into a rating based on the probability of an outcome on each card. It even takes into account the fact that some players hit into many double plays or that if someone is a good clutch hitter. The system is based on bases gained/lost. It looks at how often on average situations will occur and then measures the bases advanced by runners and the batter based on the outcome.

In the system, a point is awarded for each base a runner is advanced. So reaching first on a walk, single, or E1 gets you 1 base. We then looked at average situations occurring to determine how many bases an outcome impacts. For example, a walk will move up any forced runner. We sum up the probability of each situation that advances a runner by the # of runners advancing. For example, a home run will advance all the base runners. As stated before, we assume bases empty occurs 49.2% of the time. A runner on first only occurs 22.2% of the time. A home run will give 3 points for any runner on first so we multiply the probability of this occurring by 3. We do this for all possible situations to come up with the total bases factor that is the heart of the rating system.

One other note, the rating system is slightly different for hitters than pitchers. That's because a hitter's average situational occurrence (number of runners on base) is independent of his card. Whereas, a pitcher's average situational occurrence is dependent on his card. That is, a batter can't influence the outcome of the preceding batter, but a pitcher influences all outcomes as long as he's on the mound.

Defensive ratings, speed, steal, wild pitch, passed balls, hold and balks are all taken into consideration by the ratings.

Perhaps I'll expand a bit more tonight, but feel free to ask questions on this or on things on the web site.

joethejet

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 am

So, when you figure out how many bases a player is going to get, either by themselves or by advancing other runners and you subtract out what they are going to give up in the field (although REALLY good fielders actually erase more runners than they give up) and you add in a factor for pitchers then you divide by 216 (the total number of die rolls) to get a number.

For the team ratings, I add up all the hit ratings for the lineup, subtract the fielding and the pitching (adjusted for how often they happen) and viola, you have a team rating.

mbertolli

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Into the home stretch of divisional play and the 4th place team in the west is +99. It's going to be a battle!

joethejet

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am

LOL and then there is the pathetic East. We just cannot beat the teams in our division, but we're still a sweep tomorrow night to pulling within 4 games of first. Of course, we've shown no ability to do that so.... :oops:

Anyway, I don't know that I've seen a league with divisions so lopsided.

joethejet

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 am

I just don't get how Arizona just pounds Cueto every time out. They are last in runs scored in the league, but they just pound our pitching.

Sooo dang frustrating to outscore a team in a series and lose 2 of 3, especially when they just light up your pitching and beat you on a 1-4 HR (fly the rest).

We are 6-12 against them and that's the difference in first and last in our division. I hate this team it just sucks so bad.

mbertolli

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

If it makes you feel any better my team has played out almost exactly as planned (maybe even a tad better?)...

Yes, I've probably just given it the kiss of death.

joethejet

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

mbertolli wrote:If it makes you feel any better my team has played out almost exactly as planned (maybe even a tad better?)...

Yes, I've probably just given it the kiss of death.

LOL. NO, it doesn't make me feel better! ;)

This team is just such a disappointment and part of that is that we are losing to teams that are $3 mil under the cap! Are we *really* this bad? It clearly isn't as good as I thought it was, but I don't think we should be this bad. Oh well, chalk one up to the bad and move on.

I'm glad you guys have chipped in on the forum, it's at least made this season a little bit tolerable. Thanks for tolerating my whining. :?

joethejet

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 12:19 am

We were lucky to get two tonight. Won the second game in 12. Of course, it also featured a BS on a HR by Blanton.

Seems like we have a game every night where our SP just gets SHELLED and tonight it kept us from having a chance at a sweep when Tanaka got crushed. Weird, but we're happy to have 2. We really have to sweep some series to have a chance, but winning one is better than the way we've been losing every series so.....

mbertolli

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

We scored 27 in game last night, I'd loan you a few if I could...

joethejet

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm

mbertolli wrote:We scored 27 in game last night, I'd loan you a few if I could...

LOL and I'd take 'em too!!!! :lol: 8-) :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat