Auto League 434496 Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

edgecitytx

Re: Auto League 434496 Chat

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am

Hot enough for you, Joe?

We finally woke up last night, but our flaws are obvious: we can't play in a pitchers park. I still think there's a chance at the wild card because the West is all good and will beat up on each other, while we have a couple of weaker teams in our division. Of course, I was tied with one of those 'weaker' teams a day or two ago.

Michael, I'm sorry we woke up at your expense last night. Your division is tough enough as it is.

joethejet

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:17 am

edgecitytx wrote:Hot enough for you, Joe?

We finally woke up last night, but our flaws are obvious: we can't play in a pitchers park. I still think there's a chance at the wild card because the West is all good and will beat up on each other, while we have a couple of weaker teams in our division. Of course, I was tied with one of those 'weaker' teams a day or two ago.

Michael, I'm sorry we woke up at your expense last night. Your division is tough enough as it is.

Yeah, for sure, we've woken up a bit, but we're still six below .500 despite going 20-10 over the past 10 series and 11-2 over the past 13 games. That seven game win streak was exactly what the doctor ordered. We're on the fringes of being competitive, but unfortunately we were so bad for so long, we'll have to continue playing like this to have a chance. Just hoping to get to .500 at this point and then see if we can really get back into it.

Edge, yeah, you have two teams playing 73 and 76 mil rosters so you should be able to make a run for it once you get into the final division games. We're 9 under v our division so, we'll have to change that to have a prayer.

You're right about the West. Wow, all four teams are over .500! :shock:

But the Tigers' OPS on the road is pretty bad, .691, and the team, in contrast to yours, is not designed for a stadium like Kauffman, so I am not too optimistic about the series.

The pitching match-ups look good though.

lp, yeah, I think we took advantage of our park and it helped that Porcello got hurt and got removed early. Heck, we had 17 runners in the game we lost. Despite this game, the offense is getting better, getting more clutch hits so that's good.

joethejet

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:08 am

Yeah, just when things look up we get swept by the worst team in the league. They aren't even being managed and they swept us. Pathetic.

They have virtually no offense and yet they pound 18 hits in game 2.

Two one run loses too.

This team just isn't very good I guess. Crazy losing to these guys.

joethejet

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Well Edge, I think you jinxed us. Went back to leaving a ton of guys on base and have lost 5 of 6. At least losing 2 to Big K (albeit at home) is losing to a good team.... Blah.

edgecitytx

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:42 am

We've got the Pugs tonight at Home. Would sure like two of three to cut into their lead and keep up the (slightly) better play we've had lately. Still trying to keep pace with the West until Division play.

Joe, I don't know what happens with your team. Baffling to me, especially after your recent winning ways showed how good your team can be.

joethejet

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 5:06 pm

edgecitytx wrote:We've got the Pugs tonight at Home. Would sure like two of three to cut into their lead and keep up the (slightly) better play we've had lately. Still trying to keep pace with the West until Division play..

yeah, you sure have a better record at home so, you would think at least, it's a great chance to gain ground.

Overall, really, every team but two have a chance to make the playoffs with a hot streak and by beating the right teams.

Joe, I don't know what happens with your team. Baffling to me, especially after your recent winning ways showed how good your team can be.

As for us, we clearly don't have enough extra base power as we're just leaving a TON of guys on base. I did some simple calcs using BB+H-R-CS (no easy way to get DPs that I know of) and here are the results:

Code: Select all
Diamond Thieves   766
Ailsa Craig    697
Bromley Arsenal   674
First Strikers   654
St. Paul Big K   644
TOTALS           636.75
Arizona Irish   624
Port St John   617
White Rabbits   615
Apple City Pugs   614
Next Level Shit   603
Tundra Tigers   601
Oberlin Tigers   532

So, we're 67 LOB "ahead" of the next close team and 130 > than the average. Some of that is bad timing, some of that is not having enough power. That said, we have climbed to the middle of the pack in runs scored now. It takes us almost 3 runners to score a run while Next Level and Oberlin are at 2.1 and 2.2 respectively. The average is 2.57. Edge, you're at 2.47. I might add that two other teams in my division, Arizona and Ailsa are at 2.8 and 2.9. So, maybe it's a divisional thing.

Interesting to note that you can see why Tundra has completely over performed, they are near the bottom in ave, ob, and slugging but they they just don't leave guys OB. Oberlin is in the same boat, but at least they have power. They've clearly had good timing with their HRs.

In addition, we have been on the other card more than us. The gap has closed a fair bit of late, but it's still there. We've also missed a bigger % of bphrs (24 to 29) which, in some sense, again comes down to which park you're in when you roll them. We are also slightly under on bpsi (48-50)

On the pitching side, Cueto, Quintana and Blanton have just not been good enough. In Blanton's case he's at a 56-44% ratio on the hitter's card. Not much you can do about that.

OTOH, our pitching (again, not including DP and, in this case CS) has done a reasonable job of stranding runners. some of that has to be the park right?

Code: Select all
First Strikers   702
Port St John    683
Tundra Tigers   676
Diamond Thieves   667
White Rabbits   663
Next Level Shit   662
TOTALS           654
Arizona Irish   649
Apple City Pugs   640
Bromley Arsenal   638
St. Paul Big K   633
Ailsa Craig    626
Oberlin Tigers   614

Some of these things will happen to every team, it's the aggregation of all of them that has put us in a hole. We built a team that would get a lot of guys on base and hoped that the timing for the hits would be good. So far the timing just hasn't been there.

joethejet

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 am

Win one, lose two.

Win a blowout.

Get shut down by Osuna who is starting instead of Hammel (thank you very little). The fact that Osuna threw an inning the game before evidently had no effect on his start (realism much?) Not sure how he faced 5 hitters and only threw 8 pitches. Not that it matters to Hal I guess.

Then lose a one run game featuring , you guessed, another blown save by Blanton. Maxwell goes deep. Of course, he left 12 on base so not like we didn't pitch out of a lot of trouble.

To have a chance, we *have* to win in the division. We're currently 10-20. <sigh>

edgecitytx

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am

Well the Pugs completely annihilated me at home last night, I mean a real 3 game slaughter. I"m glad these are cards, not players, because our players minds would be destroyed right now.

robert zeke

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:17 am

Sorry :oops: about that Edge. Pugs just having a Dream season.
Just set lineup and pitching and move on to next team.
Having more fun with the 2 SOM football teams I have now.
Football is the new challenge for me.

joethejet

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 pm

edgecitytx wrote:Well the Pugs completely annihilated me at home last night, I mean a real 3 game slaughter. I"m glad these are cards, not players, because our players minds would be destroyed right now.

Ouch. I'm surprised, you are so good at home.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat