Auto League 434496 Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Re: Auto League 434496 Chat

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 am

This team is so frustrating. We "win" the LOB race every game, Blanton just sucks, 7 BS versus 6 saves and a 3.45 ERA. Of the three hitters I picked up, they are all hitting .212 or less and without much power. Actually Kennedy is the only guy I picked that has been good he's 3-0 in five starts and I think we won the other two.

Sorry to complain again, but it's just crazy how many guys we leave on game after game. I guess we'll just resign ourselves to the cellar. I think this team should be at least a .500 team, but doesn't appear that I'm right about that. Heck, we have a worse record than the team that still has millions in cap remaining.

edgecitytx wrote:Joe, Marc Pelletier was also Marcus Willby (first, I think), but it was as Luckyman that he made his name as a player.

The Rabbits are continuing to let the Pugs pull away and now we're battling to stay at .500. Tonight we're in Miller where I don't have enough LHBs. This was not one of my better jobs of season planning.

I''m glad you started the chat, Joe, I think it helps keep interest in a league, especially when my team starts to struggle. Hard to get many to participate though. In our GBBR leagues (Rob Vozza's loose group of longtime players) we don't have a chat anymore, but people do participate in the inbox regularly.

Also, you expressed surprise at our team name Rabbits. Had nothing to do with baseball, of course, more with a hookah smoking caterpillar. I've been naming my teams in Alphabetical order, so I can find them easily, and often name them after songs. In this case: "White Rabbit" from the Jefferson Airplane. I do feel like Coors is a rabbit hole I can easily disappear in.

Huh, I wonder why Marc has had so many handles. I played some under Wineman, but that's only because me and another guy worked on the teams together and that's his handle.

Glad you like the chat. Me too, gives me somewhere to complain. ;)

Interesting way to name your teams. Right now I'd love to be in Coors, I probably wouldn't be leaving so many on base! ;) :lol:

Glad you guys are chiming in. At least there is *something* fun about this @#!@%!# team. 8-)

edgecitytx

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I haven't seen Marc playing at all this season. I was pretty sure he was going to win the Tour last year. He's only appeared this year with occasional comments, mostly in the General Strategy section. I miss him. He's not only brilliant about this stuff, he can explain it clearly even to someone like me so that it makes sense.

joethejet

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 am

Yeah, Marc is a really good player.

Well, you and I play tomorrow Edge. I think we have an "edge" ;) in our park, but the way this team has gone...who the heck knows?

Here's an interesting stat for you, we've had Kennedy for six starts (winning five with the only blemish a BS by Blanton :( ) and we've scored 42 runs while poor Quintana has made 18 starts and we've scored 47 runs!!! :shock: That's an amazing 2.6 runs for Quintana and 7 per game for Kennedy! Crazy huh?

edgecitytx

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 am

Good luck tonight, Joe, not that you should need it in your park. Finally got back to .500 with a sweep last night at home, where we played more like I expected. (I guess I expected 162-0) Tonight should bring me back to earth.

Kennedy is one of the bargains of the set. BP HRs are what kill him, but without them, he's tough. Well, for a 1.99, but still, he's a bargain. Of course all those runs scored behind him help his record, but his ERA/WHIP match Cueto, your ace. Don't know what's wrong with Quintana, who has been fine for me when I've used him, though that was usually in a LH or at least a hitters park.

I may make some changes to the back end of my rotation, looking at the schedule ahead, while we still have the 10% drop.

See ya at the park.

joethejet

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm

edgecitytx wrote:Good luck tonight, Joe, not that you should need it in your park. Finally got back to .500 with a sweep last night at home, where we played more like I expected. (I guess I expected 162-0) Tonight should bring me back to earth.

Kennedy is one of the bargains of the set. BP HRs are what kill him, but without them, he's tough. Well, for a 1.99, but still, he's a bargain. Of course all those runs scored behind him help his record, but his ERA/WHIP match Cueto, your ace. Don't know what's wrong with Quintana, who has been fine for me when I've used him, though that was usually in a LH or at least a hitters park.

I may make some changes to the back end of my rotation, looking at the schedule ahead, while we still have the 10% drop.

See ya at the park.

Thanks, GL to you also. :)

Yeah, as for Quintana and Cueto, I have a feeling that my team is just "one of those teams" where you just don't get what you expect. For example I took a look a Blanton's split's last night. He's been almost 56% on the hitters cards, that's a 12% difference which can really hurt. One of the flaws of SOM is that, if you roll on the other card, it doesn't matter who your hitter/pitcher is.

I looked at making some moves before the change, but I just don't think I can really improve it with the players available. Just going to ride it out and hope for a hot streak.

lpezzeme

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Here are the links to the articles by Marc in the Ultimate Strat Baseball Newsletter. The information is dated, but if one is not familiar with his work, the articles are a good overview.

http://www.ultimatestratbaseball.com/US ... er2015.htm  (interview)

http://www.ultimatestratbaseball.com/US ... ry2016.htm  (discusses hitters)

http://www.ultimatestratbaseball.com/US ... ry2016.htm  (discusses pitchers)

http://www.ultimatestratbaseball.com/US ... ch2016.htm (team building and player ratings)

edgecitytx

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am

Ouch! That's what I thought your team would look like, just not against me. :)

joethejet

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm

lp, thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out

edge, yeah, it's amazing how you can win games when your pitching is good and you don't win the LOB race. ;) Or, if you do it's becase your pitcher threw a 2 hitter! It will be interesting to see if we can sustain any kind of hot streak. It hasn't happened so far. And, we scored 10 runs for Quintana! That's 18% of the runs we've scored for him all season.

joethejet

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 am

lp, we get you next. We're lucky that you're missing some key players for 2 or 3 of the games.

Just hoping we can keep going, we're on a little bit of a hot streak (finally) the question is whether we can keep it goin or if it's a mirage.

lpezzeme

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Joe,

Yes, Kipnis, Pederson, and Moustakas are injured. Of the three though, only Moustakas is performing well, but he is accumulating time on the DL, with 32 days injured already this season, compared to 40 and 32 for the entire year previously. Of course, that is what happens with injury-prone players!

OPS (Team 1, 2, 3)
Kipnis .834; .831; .641
Pederson .891; .927; .527
Moustakas .843 (40); .957 (35); 1.008 (32)

Park will substitute for Rodriquez who will move to 2B, but Park is also under-performing comparatively. Although, he may have been over-performing previously:

OPS
Park .828; .795; .614

Kelly Johnson is holding his own as the backup to Moustakas with a .722 OPS.

But the Tigers' OPS on the road is pretty bad, .691, and the team, in contrast to yours, is not designed for a stadium like Kauffman, so I am not too optimistic about the series.

The pitching match-ups look good though.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat