"THOSE WERE THE DAYS" LEAGUE

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

baseballmike

Re: "THOSE WERE THE DAYS" LEAGUE

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks! Go from highest salary to near bottom. Injuries...Good Luck!

oldmansmith2

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Badenhop, Correia and Franklin will be inactive for 2008.

tcochran

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 am

Only a few managers have commented so far on potential changes in roster rules. Several different ideas come to mind, though. One extreme would be drafting all players in the ILC, no matter how long it takes; the other would be to place no limits on keeping or dropping, and just let the game engine determine things (as long as other teams' keepers are protected).

What do you think?

oldmansmith2

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

I would hate to see the 18 minimum keepers rule dropped. It's a major part of what we signed up for and, with one exception, we all managed to comply this year. I would like to see a little more leniency with how we fill our autodraft cards. Currently if I have 14 batters and 11 pitchers I'm required to load them and have to wait till waivers/frenzy to add players. If on the other hand, I have uncarded players or I can't meet strat draft requirements (2 catchers, 14 batters 11 pitchers etc.) I have spots on my draft card when I'm much more likely to get useful players. I realize that the caliber of players is not great but as an example, I got Kenny Lofton last season in autodraft and probably don't make playoffs without him. My proposal would be to let us leave off our draft cards up to 3 players so that our total after draft would not exceed the max 28 but still give everyone a chance to fill holes during autodraft. This is what ironwill did though he went overboard and left off 5 players giving him 30 after draft and picked 2 more (Mather and Mahay) during waivers for a total of 32 going into frenzy. Not trying to rehash that, just trying to illustrate what not to do if people are good with my proposal. I would also propose that we make it official that during frenzy we can drop and replace any player other than those we protected or drafted during the free agent draft. Look forward to any agreement/criticism or counterproposals.

Paul_Long71

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

definitely against changing the rules at this point. especially the having to keep 18 on a yearly basis. That was the basic premise of the league. Had it not been in place I'd have drafted differently from the start.

tcochran

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:36 pm

oldmansmith2 wrote:I would also propose that we make it official that during frenzy we can drop and replace any player other than those we protected or drafted during the free agent draft.

So that would be something like:

Protected players would include 18-21 keepers plus however many were drafted in 5-round draft in ILC -- and those players can NOT be dropped.

Autodraft cards can include others from the free agent pool -- as long as total of keepers, ILC draftees, and autodraftees does not exclude 28 -- with free movement of these fringe players until the first games are played.

Only trade-related changes would be allowed after the first games are played.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 3:56 pm

tcochran wrote:
oldmansmith2 wrote:I would also propose that we make it official that during frenzy we can drop and replace any player other than those we protected or drafted during the free agent draft.

Protected players would include 18-21 keepers plus however many were drafted in 5-round draft in ILC -- and those players can NOT be dropped.

Autodraft cards can include others from the free agent pool -- as long as total of keepers, ILC draftees, and autodraftees does not exclude 28 -- with free movement of these fringe players until the first games are played.

That looks good to me. If this does get approved, I would suggest leaving high priced players off your card when possible as opposed to say your 5th round free agent pick. Nobody will be wondering if a Miguel Cabrera is available during waivers/frenzy and it would make it highly unlikely that the auotdraft program would select such a player when it has to resolve 2 or more people trying to draft the same player.

FALCON29

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 pm

tcochran wrote:

I'm whole heartedly in favor of this, with one extra point. Waivers should be off limits to all teams. The waiver order should mean nothing, and so it's not right to award any team over any other by having first shot at players. I'd even go as far as to penalize teams that try to circumvent this by forcing them to drop any players picked up on Waivers and not be able to pick them again from the FA pool.

The Waiver period should be used as a cooling off period only before the frenzy starts, to allow teams to evaluate where they stand relative to anyone else. In a 24-team league like this where there will be some Free Agents who are not available because they're already drafted, we all need that time.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 pm

FALCON29 wrote:
tcochran wrote:

I'm whole heartedly in favor of this, with one extra point. Waivers should be off limits to all teams. The waiver order should mean nothing, and so it's not right to award any team over any other by having first shot at players. I'd even go as far as to penalize teams that try to circumvent this by forcing them to drop any players picked up on Waivers and not be able to pick them again from the FA pool.

The Waiver period should be used as a cooling off period only before the frenzy starts, to allow teams to evaluate where they stand relative to anyone else. In a 24-team league like this where there will be some Free Agents who are not available because they're already drafted, we all need that time.

I agree that waiver order should mean nothing. In fact, another reason I suggested the autodraft changes was that I realized that not only was the manager who had 25 eligible players ready to go at a disadvantage, he also was going to be at or near the bottom of the waiver pick order since he would be 25 for 25 in the draft. The problem though is that not having us fill out waiver picks would put anyone not able to be online when frenzy starts at an even worse disadvantage.

padrenurgle1

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I suppose I don't much care what exactly the rules are...as long as they're clear. For some reason there has been tremendous confusion (including on my part) about the rules. Just write them in an airtight, exact way.

Waivers is dicey...you can't really punish people for oddball situations because the waiver system forces certain requirements than don't match all teams (like having 2 catchers, having exactly 11 pitchers (no more, no less)).
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat