DUAL FRANCHISE LEAGUE SEASON 8

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

pacoboy

Re: DUAL FRANCHISE LEAGUE SEASON 8

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 4:58 pm

1 - I guarantee we are using ALL ATG8 cards because the league was set up under ATG8 and NOT Post WWII ATG8.
......we did that in the last league also, but I just forgot. Looking where I picked this time, I still would have taken Cinncinnatti so I don't feel so stupid :D

2 - Let's fill the league so I can see who my mystery NEL player is ! :mrgreen:

fraank123

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Has there been a ruling on the pre 1900 cards, such as ed seward, lady Baldwin and Ross barnes? I have been waiting to join the league until then. thanks

Powrtrip

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Sorry guys. I must be spacing here. We started out in season 1 and maintained through season 6 ATG 8 Post WW2. It looks like we changed in season 7 just from looking at some of the category leaders, but I don't remember changing to total ATG8. Maybe I'm just imagining it. I watched too many Twilight Zone episodes over the holiday.

Musial6

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 6:35 pm

fraank123 wrote:Has there been a ruling on the pre 1900 cards, such as ed seward, lady Baldwin and Ross barnes? I have been waiting to join the league until then. thanks

I asked earlier about the two pitchers - Baldwin and Seward who have no discernible connection to any other franchise.

However - Ross Barnes played for the Boston Red Stockings which is listed on Baseball Reference as a predecessor to the Braves. I had planned on including him on the Braves/Twins/Senators roster.

mrharryc

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I certainly chose based on the use of all four eras of players! I also have a question about Pete Browning and Guy Hecker; are they considered Pirates property?

Toine

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 pm

We are using ATG 8...ALL ERAS.......DB, pre, post and expansion.....same as last season

Powrtrip

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 12:49 am

What is our password?

Powrtrip

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 am

Nevermind. I found the password.

pacoboy

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am

the HECKER and BROWNING's of the world are NOT part of the Cardinals. They should be excluded and put in the NEL catagory for the ONE FA pickup. If anything, they are part of the PIRATES.....but this is only my opinion as the commish has final say.

Now let's load the dam teams ! 8-)

In 1892 the team moved to the National League when the original, major league American Association dissolved, and played there until 1899. In 1900 Dreyfuss acquired controlling interest of the Pirates and brought 14 Colonels players with him, including future Hall of Famers Honus Wagner and Fred Clarke, marking the end of the original Colonels organization and Louisville as a Major League Baseball host city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville_Colonels

BDWard

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am

Musial6 wrote:Ross Barnes.

Carded to the Boston Red Stockings of the National Association, which under baseball reference, is listed as an AKA of the Atlanta, Milwaukee and Boston Braves.

So.........he is exclusive property of the Braves, right?

I had the Braves and the Twins/Senators last league. They are a good combination and are legitimate title contenders with or without Barnes. Two factors kept my team out of the playoffs:

1. I assumed, incorrectly without checking, that teams had to use a stadium tied to their team. I used Metropolitan Stadium '71. Had I realized that any stadium could be used, I would have used Minute Maid or Hilltop.

2. Greg Maddux inexplicably lost his last 10 decisions down the stretch.

Regarding Ross Barnes' of the 1873 Boston Red Stockings eligibility to play for the Braves, we need a decision from the commish. I did the research last league and Baseball-Reference.com lists the 1873 Boston Red Stockings as it's own franchise, with only a 5 year history, in the National Association. See the link below:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BNA/

There is a link on that page that states "Also played as a Major League Franchise" that takes you to the Atlanta Braves franchise history page, which dates back to 1876, which would not include the 1873 Boston Red Stockings from which Barnes' card is derived. See the link below:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/

Note that SOM DOES NOT list Barnes as part of the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves franchise.

I wanted to use Barnes with the Braves as well, but with the Braves/Twins combination, I had Knoblauch to play 2B, and I thought that the nexus between the 1873 Boston Red Stockings and the present day Atlanta Braves was too tenuous to establish, especially given that Baseball-Reference.com seems to treat it as a related, but separate, franchise and SOM excludes Barnes as part of the Braves franchise.

What the commish needs to decide here is whether SOM's franchise determination is controlling, or whether he will consider outside evidence of player eligibility. If outside evidence is considered, the question in Barnes case is whether there is enough evidence to establish the 1873 Boston Red Stockings as part of the current Braves franchise history.

Also, if Barnes is ruled as not belonging to the Braves franchise, would he, and a handful of other players not connected to any current big league franchise, be eligible to be drafted as our one free agent?

The ball is in your court, Mr. Commish. Please let us know.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat