USKL Supplemental Draft 2014

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The_Hook

Re: USKL Supplemental Draft 2014

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Ninersphan wrote:
KEVINEHLE wrote:
Detroit-Tigers wrote:8. At the start of each TSN carded year, there will be a Free Agent Draft in which the teams will be able to reshuffle and restock their teams with new players. The Players eligible for the Free Agent Draft (and the subsequent Supplemental Draft later in the year) are any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season. This includes any hitter with at least one PA any pitcher with at least one batter faced.

1) any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season

2) This includes any hitter with at least one PA any pitcher with at least one batter faced

Anyone else have any thoughts? I will make a decision on this tonight.

Wow, I didn't notice that. In my other keeper leagues, a player only needed to play in a MLB game to be eligible. I grabbed Kiermaier in a couple of those leagues. However, the letter of the law in this league says he isn't eligible. If the league wants to vote and allow this pick, I'm OK with it. However, as it stands, Kiermaier is illegal, and punishable by 50 years in jail. ;)

I passed on him as we'll thinking he wasn't eligible.

According to ESPN Kiermaier did not have a PA prior to this season. He was credited with a GP, but not a PA. I don't recall him on the available sheet, was he?

Detroit-Tigers

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 pm

2) This includes any hitter with at least one PA any pitcher with at least one batter faced

I am going to rule that he is in eligible this year. Even though the reading of it leaves doubt in my mind, I think the majority thought he was ineligble.

Going forward, I am going to amend the rules to read any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season, regards of PA or batter faced.

Please repick and someone please start the league!

The_Hook

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Detroit-Tigers wrote:

I am going to rule that he is in eligible this year. Even though the reading of it leaves doubt in my mind, I think the majority thought he was ineligble.

Going forward, I am going to amend the rules to read any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season, regards of PA or batter faced.

Please repick and someone please start the league!

Because of the nature of the draft eligibility rule that requires a credited Game Played, AB, BF etc. that complicates the process of research on one's own. Therefore, I would suggest that if the player is NOT listed on the posted available spreadsheet, then they simply can't be drafted. That seems pretty straightforward and simple and has us all working from the same set of data.

Now, if you wanted to open it up that anyone is eligible, I am cool with that. That makes it simple, I only need know who is taken. It's the MLB appearance thing that complicates things.

fowldawg

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 pm

I'll live with the ruling and take a self imposed loss of pick for the "ineligbile" pick. I 100% do not agree with the interpretation that he is ineligible. I don't see any way the rule, as written, disqualifies any player who has taken the field in a MLB game since the opening pitch of the inaugural season. Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, on and on, all are eligible to be drafted, and none had a PA or BF last year.

1) any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season--fits this category unless I am misunderstanding what a GP is

2) This includes any hitter with at least one PA any pitcher with at least one batter faced--this is a clarification statement that a subgroup qualifies--it doesn't exclude anyone

The way I read the rule, it comes down to one question: Did Kevin Kiermaier play in the MLB last season? I think his answer to this question would be, "Not much, but yes." Nowhere does it say that you MUST have a PA or BF; it does say that you must have played.

qksilver69

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't agree that every player needs to be listed on the Availables sheet in order to be drafted, but FD his not being on the sheet + the rule ambiguity, I would think that would at least create enough doubt in your mind to ask someone the questions?

I also know the intent of the original clarification, and I can guarantee you the 1 PA was a requirement for a hitter to be eligible. That he played last year is not sufficient to my mind and to many others' it seems.

I'm not sure why you feel you need to lose a pick, there should be no penalty here, but in my mind DT has made the right call here and a repick is necessary.

KEVINEHLE

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

I suppose we should load teams for Season 2. What do ya'll think?

fowldawg

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 pm

The people who did have doubt in their minds and thought about drafting him are the ones that needed to ask questions. The rule, as written, is not ambiguous to me. However, I was not privy to the unwritten intent of the rule. If I was aware of this information I would not have drafted him. I am frustrated because the message that I am getting from the league is that this pick is not being allowed not because I misinterpreted/misread the rule or even that he is definitively ineligible according to the rules, but because: 1) three teams thought of drafting him and didn't think they could, 2) he was not listed on the sheet, and 3) there was an intent to the rule that was not stated. Additionally, I was not able to present my defense of the pick before a decision was made. The decision has been made and I will obviously move on with my team by making another pick, but it will be a protest of sorts. It would be easier to move on if someone would point out where I have made error and misread the rule AS WRITTEN--not with unwritten intents.

By sentence 1 he is included, by sentence 2 not included but not excluded.

Instead of changing the rule, I believe it should be rewritten to capture its original intent.

"The Players eligible for the Free Agent Draft (and the subsequent Supplemental Draft later in the year) are any player who played in the Major Leagues in any prior season. This excludes players who have technically played in a previous Major League season, but have yet to make an official PA or BF (ie. players who have only appeared as pinch runners and defensive replacements or players whose only PA or BF were in games postponed and restarted)."

My pick is Kirby Puckett OF MIN. If he is not available, John Hester C LAA.

Detroit-Tigers

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 9:54 am

Detroit-Tigers wrote:Meanwhile, I also believe we can put together the league.[/b] One of (Nythawk,Qksilver,Fowldawg,Champ) can create the league, and after all 4 teams enter, then we can get (Ninersphan, Kevin, The Hook, Cubit). Last but not least (Stoney18, Akindian, Kylerose) can join. I will close it out.

League created.

USKL Season 2

Password:baseball

thechamp87

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 am

League created.

USKL Season 2

Password:baseball

EAST:
Nythawk
Thechamp87 - IN