Free Trial League 377489

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rustystaub

Free Trial League 377489

PostMon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Hello fellow Free Trial League 377489 team owners.

I am the owner of the Las Cruces Road Runners. I'm 55 y.o. and used to play Stratomatic back in 1970's with my late dear friend Leonard, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of taking on your teams in this trial league. With Ty Cobb, Lou Brock, and Paul Molitor in my lineup, I think that Road Runners is an appropriate name, and I used to have an Albuquerque Road Runners in my league, back in the day. In the late 80's i lived in las Cruces, NM for 3 years, so I've revised the team name accordingly. Hopefully my manager Wile E Coyote will have a better time managing these Road Runners than his cartoon namesake has with his cartoon nemesis.

In my scouting I see that all of you have put together some powerful teams. I am especially worried about the Bombers and their Murder's row of power hitters and the Knights with their lights out pitching staff and speedsters of their own. I see that the Knights owner/manager has quite astutely put his high speed/ low power team in an old, giant ball park to neutralize the power of any opponents teams. I thought of doing something similar, but opted for sentimentality by putting my team in Shea, the old home of my favorite team, the Mets. I think my speed based line up, though balanced with some power from Frank Howard, and a couple of other sluggers, will do well at the Knights home if can a few hits off of that stellar staff. I think my pitching staff, though not as stellar as the Knights is pretty solid, but I'm looking to upgrade it a bit by claiming a couple of better arms off of waivers. As for the Bombers, I expect some high scoring matches between our teams. My team doesn't have nearly as much power, but they can hit, so I think we'll do alright.

rustystaub

Re: Free Trial League 377489

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

Well, after realizing that in deference to Mark Brouhard, I wouldn't be starting him against left handers, I decided to drop Frank Howard in favor of Jim Northrup who offers a better power hitting option against righties and can be a defensive replacement in the of when he is not playing 1b.

Scouting the other teams again, I think that the Thunder are appropriately named and are obviously going to hit a ton of homers, especially at home. It's also a power pitching team and will strike out tons of my batters, too. However, they are going to walk a lot of batters, and against my team, a walk is almost as good as a triple, so we should have some pretty high scoring matches between us.

Does anybody know if there is anyway for me to communicate with the other league members to see if they would like to participate in this forum.

Musial6

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:33 am

rustystaub wrote:Well, after realizing that in deference to Mark Brouhard, I wouldn't be starting him against left handers, I decided to drop Frank Howard in favor of Jim Northrup who offers a better power hitting option against righties and can be a defensive replacement in the of when he is not playing 1b.

Scouting the other teams again, I think that the Thunder are appropriately named and are obviously going to hit a ton of homers, especially at home. It's also a power pitching team and will strike out tons of my batters, too. However, they are going to walk a lot of batters, and against my team, a walk is almost as good as a triple, so we should have some pretty high scoring matches between us.

Does anybody know if there is anyway for me to communicate with the other league members to see if they would like to participate in this forum.

Yes - each league has a league only "inbox" option on the top row of choices where you can communicate with your league members only.

JoeyC

PostWed May 21, 2014 11:58 am

rustystaub wrote:Well, after realizing that in deference to Mark Brouhard, I wouldn't be starting him against left handers, I decided to drop Frank Howard in favor of Jim Northrup who offers a better power hitting option against righties and can be a defensive replacement in the of when he is not playing 1b.

Don't get too excited since, if memory serves my correctly, the "Free Trial Leagues" are only 21 games in duration.

JoeyC

rustystaub

PostWed May 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I know this is a short trial league, and maybe I'm a wicked statistics nerd, but I haven't played anything like this since I was a lad. I just wish they didn't make us wait for a week before beginning. If it is as much fun as it looks, I'll think about joining a regular league.

Return to Individual League Chat