• Author

deepdrive

Re: FAST 6 XXXIV CHAT

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Why is it, that we have to play this last minute thing everytime? :roll:

Simon31

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 11:35 am

Ok. Got a lot of feedback about Friday night's draft and this is the first I've had the chance to respond. Some good ideas were suggested so I would like to cover those. First, I'm the one responsible for making sure the draft runs smoothly. I did not. That was all on me! I think next time I head to McDonalds or Starbucks to conduct the draft. That way there are NO interruptions at all! My wife ate a chicken salad left over from Wendy's Thursday night. She started a coughing fit which led to her throwing up right when it was my pick!!!!! In an attempt to hurry, I just threw Lajoie up there figuring that would buy me some time before I had to pick again. After taking what I thought was sufficient time to attend to my wife and get back to the draft, I fell into the same trap many of us have fallen into before. I've been with my wife over 33 years and when she said "I'm sorry! You go back to your draft and have some fun, I'll be fine!" that really means "At your own risk!" Not long after I got back and corrected my pick, she got up from the couch where we both were sitting and stormed upstairs (as best she could with her ankle.) From that point, I couldn't keep track of anything! I spent most of yesterday afternoon watching reruns of "Bones," "NCIS," "Castle" and the like as penance for my insensitivity!
<sigh> Yes, I did miss the Michigan game too! :cry: I don't mean to make her out as the bad guy! My wife is usually great with my strat addiction and most of the time in a good mood. She just hadn't been feeling well all day and I got home late so I didn' really know that. That being said, she has a Mensa level IQ and a temper. I don't normally mess with her! :roll: Anway, Frank had a good idea. It used to be we had until midnight to get our teams in. Now it's 11'00 pm. Drafting 6 players with an hour less is cutting it closer than is comfortable. I like the idea of drafting 2 during the week and only 4 players on Friday night.
Or, we could just do a slower draft ala Joe's LA-Z-BO League and then Frenzy Friday (or Saturday) night. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Before I forget, I would also like to congratulate Charlie (djmacb) on his Championship! Outstanding season! Thanks to Jon for his excellent work with the Picks at a Glance thread! I know he was also busy with work related stuff at the same time and had to juggle both! Thanks to PJMB for working with deepdrive to get his picks in as well. Nice team work fellas! This was a bad outing! I promise next time this draft will have my full and undivided attenion! -David

PJK

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 pm

David, first of all, folks like you who take the time and trouble, and endure the grief, for organizing and administering a league like this deserve a tremendous amount of appreciation from those of us who just hop on for the ride. So do NOT apologize -- we owe you, big time. Second, I enjoy the dynamic of a life draft over an autodraft and am flexible about how to make it work with one proviso, that even if we go to a slow format for all or part of the draft that there be some kind of time limit [must pick by 9AM or 9PM, depending upon when your pick comes up at 9PM or 9AM] so that we don't get the domino effect where everything slows down because people quit checking in from-time-to-time if we get stuck in neutral from time-to-time. take care everyone. PJK

Muadib1950

Re: FAST SIX 34 CHAT

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Given the proclivity of the attorneys in my tiny firm to take for granted that they can invade my personal time in the evening whenever they want, even on a Friday night on into even the later hours of the night, even to the point of starting up an abrupt haranging me at about 10:55 for a 5 to 10 minute project item whose drop dead electronic filing time is still over an hour away (and could have been prepared any time all week by several in my Firm), well let's just say I need BACKUP on the Picks at a Glance facility. If one or two of you could be available to do it (in case I can't) on a night like last Friday, then that'd REALLY help me.

Most times, I'll be able to do the Picks Charts, and keep up with the team building aspect very, very easily. But when 3 electronic court filings come up for filing AFTER HOURS on a Friday, and I am putting six or seven times as much personal time into the Fast Six Live Draft than if I were just making my own Picks (I was also taking Coffee's picks over Cell Phone Text as well -- he could SEE the Draft while out on a Dinner date, but could not directly POST his picks himself) ... well Friday is about as close as I'll get to being an Air Traffic Controller ... oh yes there was also an incessant cellphone buzz going on and on ... someone had set their League for $140 mil. ... and an attorney was yelling ... and well guys ... my last minute entry was nevertheless actually moving smoothly to land a good 5 to 6 minutes earlier than it actually did with just 1 or 2 mins. to spare, were it not for all the froth and blather ...

Sigh ... that's what happened, and thanks for listening and enduring the Rant about it! ;-)

Bottom Line: in the event I cannot in some upcoming Live Drat, need one or two Backups who can also run Picks at a Glance if needed in the future. Thanks.

--Jon
cc League Mailroom
Previous

Return to Individual League Chat